Roadsure Breakdown recovery - is now being testing by me :(

Jack

Do we hear the click of Roadsure Spurs or their minions?

Do Roadsure subcontract to local recovery firms to carry out a recovery, or do they have their own recovery service?

Steve

As far as I'm aware they sub-contract..

They recovered my mates Fox ok when it's exhuast caught fire on the way to Beltring last year...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadsure don't actually do anything.

I think they will be now!!! :evil:

HF is over at Becket Towers as we speak and they word is that the breakdown service should be renamed breakup service. What was a minor misfire has turned into a major front axle problem!! :shake:

Never mind

the click of Roadsure Spurs or their minions
I think that will be drowned out by the sound of rolling heads................................ >:(

Very very sorry to hear whats gone on, what can I say but hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Thanks for a very warm welcome to the forum while we were up there and hope to see you all at upottery..

Condolences Jack about your truck I rearly feel for you ...............

R Cubed

So how bad is it?

Hi mate.

Well HF has been out and had a look and will report back. No body work has been damaged but it looks like the axle has been damaged by having the whole weight of the truck drop on it at speed. I will refrain from the finner details until I know more but it is fair to say that this should of happened and everything that Mark has said in previous post is exactly what has happened.

Mark many thanks for your help on this and that you for the PM. I am still speechless as to how this has happend but I also pleased that no one was injured when the wheel flew off.

Incidentally - I was told that the wheel was in the middle of the central reservation of the A31 if I wanted to go and get it :dunno:

I would also like to say thanks to Jerry for coming out and helping out - cheers mate.

Incidentally - I was told that the wheel was in the middle of the central reservation of the A31 if I wanted to go and get it :dunno:

Might be worth trying to retrieve it as you may need it as evidence, the insurance company engineer may want to see it... :dunno:

Well I've had a look, and yes they did a REAR suspended tow, so all the Jimmy's weight was on the front axle :schocked:

Also the wheels would have been running in reverse at quite a speed and I wonder about the left/right hand threads in the wrong direction :whistle:

Also the loading on the front wheels would have been abit more than normally expected :whistle:

And I suspect too much on a corner....

Don't understand why they rear lifted, if access was a problem, why not get it out drop it and then pick up on the front ??????????

The damage

shredded wheel studs, dead brake drum ,buckled back plate, crunching sounds on rotating hub poss diff /bearings and an awful lot of movement, on the swivel suspect cracked pin etc

outstanding recovery job :|:|

What a b-mmer, but we'll sort it Jack they don't call me Clarke HF for nuffin'

;-) :-D :-D

Regards Hardyferret

Sorry to hear of you problem jack

i recon that paul is right that it was on a suspended rear lift causing the nuts to loosen

As i understand its normally lighter to lift the rear that the front

Chris

I use standard Green flag for the Dodge, she's at the 2.5 ton limit. The 101 Ambulance at 3 tons uses Roadsure, so far one gone wheel and no spare. Recovery was quick and drama free. Worth the money when you see commercial costs. Roadsure are also very kind to me when the ladies go abroad. Green flag love the Dodge, she's one of thier oldest customers.

i wouldnt have said that it was safe to tow a jimmy by the rear as there are more wheels at the rear for the weight the front wheels are mainly for steering with

coaches are front suspended lifts due to the weight being too much for the shafts very rare you would see a coach lifted from the rear

Just spoken to Lawson ( GMC owning Brother in Law) Lawson being a very experienced long distance HGV driver added to the debate by saying that if it was being towed from the rear then how did the driver 'secure' the steering whilst in transit?????

A very good point and he also added that it is the responseability of the driver to make sure that his load is 100% safe at all times and that includes stopping and checking his 'load'.

A mystery.

Lawson being a very experienced long distance HGV driver added to the debate by saying that if it was being towed from the rear then how did the driver 'secure' the steering whilst in transit?????

Jack,

This is an important point, strapping the steering wheel with the front wheels in straight ahead position was to be done spot on, else the tyres will "scrub" as it is trying to be dragged straight. This will undoubtably cause the wheel centre to flex and induce the chance of nuts loosening. Check the other front tyre for scrubbing or uneven wear compared to normal. I think if this is proven, with a qualified engineers report, the recovery firm would have to admit to negligence.

Hi all.

The damage to Jack's truck is serious enough for him to put a compensation claim into the recovery company.

As already stated, once the casualty vehicle - IE Jack's truck - is attached to the recovery vehicle, it becomes the responsibility of the recovery driver and as such he and the company are liable for any damage caused.

This is particularly true as Jack's truck was only suffering from rough engine running and no fault in the axle or running gear.

The recovery company can dress it up anyway they like - they are responsible for the damage.

For those people who have been recovered by the AA etc, why do you think the recovery driver goes around the vehicle before loading to make a note of any damage.

As it is not in doubt when the damage occurred - the recovery company doesn't have a leg to stand on.

If you haven't already Jack, first thing in the morning get on to the recovery company and ask their operations manager to come and see you to discuss a way forward. Any recovery company will try to avoid any insurance claim as the excess on the liability insurance policies are very expensive.

I'm sure sitting down with the ops manager and having an adult discussion about having the vehicle repaired will be the best way forward for all parties.

Failing that - and I can't see it happening - court!!!

Any more advice and you have my number.

Markheliops

Many commisearations from myself Jack I hate to see these things happen to small trucks.

Being serious glad no-one was hurt in this and I am sure Jerry "the clarke" will have it ready for War and Peace.

Damn Jack, what a misfortune.

Make sur you take lots of photo's of the damage....then make more photo's and store them somewhere else in case the computer crashes and the pics. disappear.

Maybe get a qualified mechanic to look at it and make a report so you'll have a first opinion before the recovery company/insurers get their hands on it.

Don't dismantle/remove anything, otherwise they can say you tempered with the vehicle before their experts arrived.

I guess the Police made a report of the crashsite? You'll need it.

Maybe you can make pics. of the site or where the wheel landed - be CAREFULL!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Just had a chat with Rex looking for a new axle - he doesn't have one - only banjos and said that I would have to source one from Europe. I really do not want this hassle.

Oh, and he said, that you never to GMC's backwards like that because the wheel nuts will undo............ :|