Roadsure Breakdown recovery - is now being testing by me :(

Jack

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack

Not sure what's occurring but don't give up yet.

Insurance companies will always try to fob you off.

The point being if they have agreed to a "good will payment" it's another way of saying it's our fault.

Maybe time to visit the small claims court. Before any action you have to be able to prove you have made all attempts to come to a reasonable agreement.

That means letters etc to recovery company and insurance people - I use the word lightly of course -.

A phone conversation repeated in court means nothing in the eyes of the law.

Maybe three letters to recovery agents asking them to deal with the damage of you will be forced to seek compensation.

In the eyes of the law - as repeatidly stated the recovery driver, hence company is liable for the damaged caused - they just presume you won't bother persuing it.

I would strongly suggest the above course of action as a means to an end to get your truck repaired.

Let me know if you want any advice and I can speak to many people in the recovery industry to get the latest information.

Markheliops

I was with Historic Commercial Recovery for several years. Only left when I sold my heavies recently. Never had to use them, but got a pro-rata refund when I left with no deductions, and even a Christmas card! Seems like a friendly family-run business. (http://www.h-c-r.co.uk)

"Experience of service" seems what people want, so here goes. I've always insured with Footman James. Several years ago I removed all 6 wheels and tyres from my MK 1 Militant G/S and took them from the storage near Worcester to a workshop in the Forest of Dean to have the perished Russian (!) tyres removed, be blasted and powder-coated, and have a brand new set of Good Year 1500x20's fitted. The place was torched soon after in a drugs-related (!) arson attack; nothing to do with the workshop owner, who being "one of us"and not in a commercial business, had not got around to insuring his new premises. I now had a Militant on axle-stands, and no useable wheels, (water-quenched) or tyres. I obtained more wheels and tyres by a mixture of donations and purchasing, and had the powder-coating done again. It all cost me £1200 in THOSE days, all told. A claim was submitted, and I got £1200 from Footman James, no ifs or buts, which given the off-site circumstances, I thought was totally amazing.

So, there you are. No connection with either company, I just "speak as I find!". ;-)

I think a signed petition handed to Roadsure to express peoples views -

Wonder how many vehicle owners at Beltring would sign it once they knew the full story.

I think it would be more effective than a protest.

Could hand it in to the stall during W+P.

Any thoughts.

Markheliops

Would this problem be negligence on behalf of the driver as the towed vehicle would have only been able to do a Max of 45MPH normally and also the fact of having Left hand wheel nuts on the nearside which would have been traveling backwards, speaking to a haulier the other day of 50 odd years experience with classic trucks etc, he said it was common practice to use jubilee clips on 4 of the wheel nuts and linking them so they could not turn, although he said the correct way would be to carry out a front suspend and remove propshafts so no connection to transmission, he also commented on the towed speed as it was an old truck and not capable of modern highway speeds.

Need to see the drivers Tacho this would indicate the speed at the time of the incident as shortly after that it would indicate a stop !!!!!!

Just my thoughts out loud

A fascinating if serious topic.

I am one of those with no formal cover (as I don't tend to venture very far - great respect to some of you lot!). So I tend to rely on friends with suitable recovery trucks/lowloaders on a help-each-other basis as I'm sure a lot of others do

After reading this lot that's going to change pretty quick. If only for the reason that in certain cases, if you cannot effect recovery within a reasonable time, the Police might make arrangements for you, and that will cost a packet!!

Thanks for waking me up to what I guess we should all regard as an essential in these times. HMVF Nationwide Red Ball Recovery Service from all those Diamond T 969 boys?

Tony

Did my renewal last month :-(

Had this come up before I'd have been going elsewhere - as things stand right now. Will do next year though.. However - should R....S.... sort Jacks problem out properly then that decision is subject to review.

Before I forget - Jack, is the problem with RoadSure or with the recovery firm???? If the latter - whats RoadSures position given they are the ones who took the money???

Roadsure customer services should be sorting this out, but I will bet my left testicle that they are saying something along the lines of "we cannot be held liable for our sub-contractors blah blah blah".

I feel that Roadsure are liable, your contract is with them, not the breakdown service, but I bet that somewhere in thier terms and conditions that there is something about "not being liable for third party mistakes etc etc".

The most annoying thing about all this is that they target military vehcile owners, if thier contractors are no good at recovering military vehciles why target military vehciles ?.

I am happy to sign a petition, but I don't think it will make any difference, I would much rather hang around at thier stall and warn future customers what they are like.

The whole situation is typical of the "it's not my fault gov" situation we seem to have in this country.

It's a bloody disgrace!!!!.

Morning all.

Sorry been rather a bit busy at the pointy end the last day or two so haven't been around.

Thank you to all for their support with this disaster and the grief actually isn't with Roadsure who have been more than attentive in this matter. Also the beauty and the success of HMVF is that it is safe place to have a 'pint'. I think there are without doubt lessons to be learnt here and as I have said else where, there is a problem and problems happen - it is how they are resolved which is important.

I will give you a full update on the situation when it is concluded - not sure if it will be, but I would also like to add that I wouldn't want this to happen to any of you guys, as it is highly stressful. I have always tried to run HMVF in a way that it is doesn't give anyone or company any grief (as it states in the rules) we have a powerful tool here and if we misuse that responsibility then this site becomes just like the rest......unprofessional. Please choose your words carefully - like I have too.

I am overwhelmed with the response from everyone and it is truly moving - as someone pointed out to me on the phone this morning - 'you have a great site there, full of camaraderie, never seen a group bond like that before' I had to agree with him

Hi Guys,

With regard to what Jack said about choosing words carefully and not wishing to bring the forum into disrepute, I am going to W & P on Saturday and if any of you wish to have a natter re. a protest at the roadsure stand then my mob. no. is 0775 1719501 and if all goes as planned then Bertha will be parked up in America's Field just over the bridge and opposite the toilets(I am over 60 you know) :blush:

Regards,

John.

• 4 months later...

What was the final outcome from the recovery company ? I only just came across this thread from the recently posted video.

That video brings back memories :whistle:

Yes all sorted ABN - Roadsure were very efficient!

I like abn CCKW have only just seen this thread. Glad to hear its all sorted now Jack.

I have RAC cover through my insurer and covers me in any vehicle, as I only have Landrovers I'm covered through them thankfully. Last time I broke down it was in Aldershot, I was with Green Flag at the time, the recovery wagon turned up 4 hours later. He done a visual chck for damage I had to sign it then we all got in the cab and he drove me home! Got £15 comp

I use Green flag for all mine except the 101, to heavy. Never an argument about age of vehicles, no we won't accept your word for whats wrong so we will B**** you about for 4 hours then tell you it can't be fixed and wait another 3 hours for a recovery truck and they know where the M25 is! I've used them for years, as for the 4th emergency service, see before :pfrt: