War and Peace Revival 2016, Is anybody going?

julezee001

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there for two days but staying in Folkestone Wednesday night, although I'm usually searching the trade stands for Lee Enfield related items, bayonets and other items of interest i'll be looking more in the vehicle trade stands etc for bits for my bike.

Its sad to read about some of the disputes that some have had, I hope to take the bike next year will see what the feeling is down there on Wednesday and Thursday.

"we took the agreement in writing to the organisers and they said if you dont like it dont trade, they also increased the agreed pitch fee by £600!! they had in front of them the contractual agreement, i pointed out they where breaking the law and they repeated well you don't have to trade!!"

Small claims court and sue them for ALL your losses and expenses?

we were there!!

we had an agreement in writing with the organisers that we would be the only general stores on site! we wanted to keep it traditional with over the counter service full costume and war time layout.....

we organised over £4000 of news papers for the site and it was my mission to rid the site of the 25p charge on top of every paper as was last year in the modern corner shop affair!!

we spent £1000's on our set up to look the part and be as authentic as possible, when we arrived to set up two shops making access easier across site we found the modern convenience store unloading an 11 tonne lorry into the store!!

we took the agreement in writing to the organisers and they said if you dont like it dont trade, they also increased the agreed pitch fee by £600!! they had in front of them the contractual agreement, i pointed out they where breaking the law and they repeated well you don't have to trade!!

i said with this third store in the main arena i would not even break even and they said that was my problem!!!!!

so no we will not be there! in fact we have had to cut our losses and leave haven been spoken to like dirt and once again let down by the show.

such a shame was so looking forward to the whole event had really gone to town with authenticity

Beyond belief

Am going on the thursday for 1 day, wasnt going this year but changed my mind. It looks like it may have lost its appeal, but I will reserve judgement till I have been. I know there have been problems with the organisers, one I dont know if you are aware of, but the RUR in conjunction with Red Alliance should have been doing their battle on the thursday, but apparently the organisers "forgot" and allocated the time to Rolling Thunder (all this was told to me by a friend who was supporting RUR).

On the subject of traders, surely the written agreement is binding in law? So therefore a trip to the small claims court seems the logical way forward (or the very least a word with a solicitor?)

Like I said, I will reserve judgement until I have been.

TTFN

Mark

I'm heading over there Thursday as a day trip, instead of 8 days as we're used to, with some family it's been less and less fun each year for a while so hoping a change will restore some of my enthusiasm for the show, will post pictures of what I see when I get back.

Steve

Have just returned after 3 days (had to leave early due a urgent issue arising at work) and can honestly report that it's the worst year I've ever attended.

When I arrived on the Tuesday night I was surprised to see that easily 50% of the green camping area just inside the main gate was empty, this as you know is normally a no go area for someone arriving half way through the week.

I have not gone this year, due the price increase of public camping by the new owners. I asked them why they put the price up, and they told me "no one's making you come to the show". Also with being told you cant leave the site after the show finishes on the Saturday, but you must pay for another nights camping I just decided the new owners are not getting a penny from me.

Well I didn't have dig an escape tunnel to get out, just drove through the gate. Bit of a red herring I think 🤔

For some reason my whole report didn't get loaded in, but I'll summarise my observations.

I believe exhibitors down 30-40%, both fields fairly empty with huge gaps between vehicles. Reenactors seemed about usual, possibly less support vehicles though. Stalls again about the same but some notable regulars missing.

No funfair this year, and less shows during the day in the show tents (no fashion shows etc for the ladies), I think there may have been less performers as well. Jive aces as good as ever, but noticeably less people getting up and dancing / participating.

Visitors down too, certainly not the numbers wandering the stalls and I didn't observe any queues at the gate.

Not sure what the additional toilet surcharge was for, same number to my eyes, condition seemed the same.

I realise this is all rather negative, but it did have the feel of a non event, certainly not the sparkle of past shows (even those in its present location). but this is the first year I have returned with all my spending money and after 2 days had pretty much seen it all.

I really hope it was just the excessive hot weather putting people off, as I'd miss my yearly dose of w+p if it ended.

It's smaller, but I have to say I'm liking the atmosphere better. Everyone seems a bit more laid back and easier going. It's more like a holiday.

Me to. I came Saturday as usual. Yes it's quieter...and I agree possibly down 30 to 40%. But I've found it much more chilled out.....less noisey.....the stewards are friendly and chilled. It's been a great week for me...and some interesting vehicles still. I've enjoyed it much more.

went yesterday and really enjoyed my self, met loads of friends a nice selection of quality vehicles rather than field after field of jeeps and cckw's. found plenty of diamond t parts which has hurt the bank balance and a much better set up with really happy stewards loads of clean facilities. the show is more alive after 5 pm when more vehicle movements are in progress.

only issue i heard but not sure if it is true is if the organisers can get the site on a fresh contract as this is the last year before it needs revising. also i may go to the hop farm show in august to see what that is like but i am strongly considering taking the 969 to either or both shows next year.

cheers sam

We got there yesterday to find the gates open and no queues at twenty past nine, big gaps in the vehicle displays but the stewards were happy and relaxed, the military camping fields looked more like the sunday of the show due to the gaps and the re-enactor field hade the usual gaps where groups hadn't turned up. There was noticeably less armour and there was a distinct change of pace due to the lack of public, which made the stalls so much easier I just hope more people come through the gate today and tomorrow to pay the pitch rent for the traders.

I'm not sure why but there were loads of out of date posters advertising the dances for 2015 and 2014 around the grandstand and all of the WW1 trench experience and displays were missing as was the statue behind the grandstand. I hope the new owners realise people are unsure of the show and they may have to scale things down a bit to let it grow again until people are satisfied it's worth coming to again.

I enjoyed it, caught up with good friends and got the parts I needed but I feel more than two days would be very samey and not quite as fun as it has been

Steve

I had a good look round today and at a rough guess, the take up of stalls, vehicles and re-enactors was 60 to 70% of last year with large expanses of bare grass most noticeable in the post war vehicle display area......see photo. Kitcheners seemed fairly busy so I presume those with caravans and campers got displaced there. The much vaunted motorcycle display area was very thin and for some unknown reason, there was a line up of speedway bikes next to WW2 military bikes! I spoke to a couple of people who had wanted to display a bike there but were put off because the area was isolated and unmanned........bike parts are EXPENSIVE and easily nicked, not to mention the motorcycles. No Welcome Pack on arrival.....no vehicle identity tags, so presumably no judging of vehicles? No plaque to take away. I found it underwhelming but I am sure lots of folk enjoyed themselves and the weather and ground conditions have been ideal......too hot? The stalls seemed VERY quiet indeed and it seemed a lot of

the regulars had cut back on size and offering? In summary, I suspect newcomers to the show will be happy.......old stagers less so.

qsuxe1.jpg

I forgot to add that among the stalls, there appeared to be even more of them this year selling Nazi-ana.......not the ones selling WW2 German military stuff, but those selling Nazi junk that is at best in really bad taste and at worst highly disturbing and offensive. Can't the organisers weed out this rubbish? It reflects really badly on the whole military scene.

Went down by car Thursday with friends, surprised how easy it was to park close to the entrance and get in. Only to be greeted by huge areas of unoccupied grass lands. Steward’s friendly enough and a running site transport that appeared to be working. Stalls enough of them with some noticeable absentees, what was nice was the space to walk around without being jostled or elbowed out of the way and an empty beer tent with only the staff inside to go with the empty fields devoid of green machines. Was it worth going, a friend bought some parts for his Dodge and Chevy I bought a hat another bought coveralls, meet friends swapped stories had a beer later an ice-cream ate at the Aerodrome Café drove two hours home. Military and Flying Machines followed by the Hope-Farm with a green machine.

I had a good look round today and at a rough guess, the take up of stalls, vehicles and re-enactors was 60 to 70% of last year with large expanses of bare grass most noticeable in the post war vehicle display area......see photo. Kitcheners seemed fairly busy so I presume those with caravans and campers got displaced there. The much vaunted motorcycle display area was very thin and for some unknown reason, there was a line up of speedway bikes next to WW2 military bikes! I spoke to a couple of people who had wanted to display a bike there but were put off because the area was isolated and unmanned........bike parts are EXPENSIVE and easily nicked, not to mention the motorcycles. No Welcome Pack on arrival.....no vehicle identity tags, so presumably no judging of vehicles? No plaque to take away. I found it underwhelming but I am sure lots of folk enjoyed themselves and the weather and ground conditions have been ideal......too hot? The stalls seemed VERY quiet indeed and it seemed a lot of

the regulars had cut back on size and offering? In summary, I suspect newcomers to the show will be happy.......old stagers less so.

qsuxe1.jpg

This photo reminds me of the last MVT show at Kemble!

This photo reminds me of the last MVT show at Kemble!

I have been going to this show for years and I have some observations after visiting the show on Thursday.

As already mentioned there were very noticeable gaps in the living History and Vehicle Display fields.

The classic car section which was quite well supported last year was virtually non existent.

For some strange reason the Allo Allo cast were moved to the stalls area and I had actually walked past their location several times and didn't even notice them.Heir Flick as sweating in that leather Great coat all day and was taking no Deutschmarks from his signed pics.

The main Beer Tent seemed the same as usaul but the tent that you walk through as you go into this tent was empty with some piled up chairs.Even Poor Elvis who was leaning on the corner of the Tent looked Pissed Off! and didn't look like he was in the mood for shaking those hips anytime soon.

Where the Allo Allo cast were last year there was a French Cafe Dioramma which was Absent this years do the Staff Cars which Were on the Green by the static spitfires and Hurricane were missing.I didn't see the Bofors gun or searchlight set up there either.

The WW1 Trench Dioramma in front of the BANDSTAND was also missing.

The Victorian Restaurant which was buzzing last year was Boarded up and desolate and the site actually looked quite Rundown.I didn't see the usaul Naffi shop but think that's already been covered.

This is such a shame as this show has always been the Best Military show ever but something is definitely going wrong.

The control room who have the PA system I think even gave up and started pumping out Diana Ross from the local Radio Station! At this point I must admit I felt quite down and was looking for something sharp to impale myself on!

.I have never seen it like this and if the organisers have the attitude as previously mentioned then the decline that we have seen this year will end in this great events ultimate demise.The organisers need to take notice! Otherwise We will definitely not see this show continuing for much longer.

I think what would also make this show improve would be to have a Major focus on classic and American Cars.Lets not forget that many of the servicemen who came back from these campaigns also had this part of their lives when returning to civilian life.I did suggest this to Rex who did start the separate classic car entry which is great but I think it really needs to be promoted more.As my wife said who has been there a few times it's good but it's abit samey The public would appreciate as much variety as possible.Also what happened to the guy from the Hop farm who used to do those fantastic Diorammas.I Remember the Church Ruin and it being Candlelit at Night that looked amazing.I also Remember the GMC Naffi Van and Dance floor area where you could watch the dancing whilst getting a coffee and Doughnut well into the night.I think we have to have a Bring Back REX Campaign. I think he did a REXIT on us,damn you Cadman :-(>:(>:(>:(