92 KF 11 FFR Land Rover

Surveyor

After a few months owning the vehicle I thought I would try and document the fun and games I have had with the vehicle and these early posts are a catch, some of my experiences as a first timer may help others, some of my comments will be results of comments and or questions posted else where in this forum.

I have always wanted to own a "proper" Land Rover and looking on various site was in negotiation with a couple of people to get one.

Unfortunately, or possibly, fortunately was unsuccessful on 4 attempts, lucky 5.

The vehicle was direct from the MoD and in good condition, bought by looking at the pictures, had been upgraded under operation TITHONUS, having experience of the MoD maintenance regimes knew it was a good risk to take.

Never having purchased a vehicle this way I spoke to the DVLA and they gave me a list of items needed in order to gain a registration number.

Once all this information was gained and I spoke to my friend who was a mechanic, my standard was, open bonnet, yup an engine close bonnet after checking oil and water decided to go for and got the vehicle.

Transport was arranged and it arrived one wet day in February.

IMG_0319.jpg

Unfortunately I had to help unload and then dash away to take my son to play at a football match and didn't manage to get a good look at till the next day

I've been approached by a few people over the years who've said "I'm thinking about buying a Land Rover". My usual answer (having had 7 of them) is "Don't!".

And you still haven't learnt your lesson Vince!

Due to work was not able to check the Landie out, my fifteen year old son has nicknamed it "The Tank". having a good look it was in better condition than I expected, needs a front wing and clean off of some rust which is superficial.

The next challenge was getting the MoT, originally the garage wanted me to get a set of "show plates" so it was easier for them to register, help from members of the forum showed the correct procedure.

New battery fitted and off it went, failed first time due to the lights not being where they are for a civilian one, then passed.

The administration issue was getting the date registered, thanks to Land Rover this date was the date it left the factory.

Due to work was not able to check the Landie out, my fifteen year old son has nicknamed it "The Tank". having a good look it was in better condition than I expected, needs a front wing and clean off of some rust which is superficial.

The next challenge was getting the MoT, originally the garage wanted me to get a set of "show plates" so it was easier for them to register, help from members of the forum showed the correct procedure.

New battery fitted and off it went, failed first time due to the lights not being where they are for a civilian one, then passed.

The administration issue was getting the date registered, thanks to Land Rover this date was the date it left the factory.

I had similar problems with dates. The kind soul in DVLA who did mine when it was first registered (not by me I hasten to add) used the Cast date and not the build date. So instead of an L plate registration I have a Y plate.

Had to jump through several hoops to get permission to use the historic tax rate of £0.00 when mine qualified.

Once I'd to get a good look at the Land Rover I found little damage, a relief, I also had a long think on what I wanted it to look like once cleaned up painted etc. I decided, probably against the purest opinion to have the external looking as original but interior at the rear with out radio, my son and I have stripped out the radio bars and spray painted the roll bar where the rubbing was from the interior fittings, parts for replacement have been sourced and bought, including the bits to get the bottle windlass working.

Yes hang the expense going for as much as possible original Land Rover Parts

Well first run of the vehicle, 50 miles, started and stopped okay after 25 miles, seems to be charging the battery okay. Engine stopped no fuel getting into the engine.

Turns out beginners mistake should have changed the fuel filter, recovered by the AA

• 2 weeks later...

Well back from holiday, time to see what's wrong with the beast, on way home bought new filters, oil fuel and air, along with the oil.

Being new to mechanics read all I could then started, first took out the old air filter, the last fitter had put the date installed on it 2007

Then drained the fuel filter and took that off, fitted new one with seals and then looked for the air bleed. Wonderful all details say there is a separate valve just for this, not on my one, after much deliberation slowly undid the injection line and woo behold in that device there was the air bleed point.

Hunted around for the handle to prime the system and luckily or not my friend Jim was around to sort my daughters car, turns out her car had a frozen alternator and he showed me where the hand pump was, told you was learning and I am getting old, got the system primed.

Crawled under the beast on gravel and found the sump and old filter, help arrived in the shape of my lad, 15 and 6ft decided he wanted to help, he drained the oil into the container and we decided to leave it over night as the oil had not been changed for at least 3 years.

Sunday and yup it started to rain, son hibernating in bed, crawled under and tried to undo the oil filter, no joy, round to Jim and borrow a large set of water pump pliers, back underneath and it moves, new filter on and top up with oil.

Tried to start engine, nothing, went to dry out and think.

Next day back to earn pennies, Tuesday evening Jim around to fit alternator, 2 cars working, he showed my how to bleed the injectors and eventually we got it started, looking around he spotted the fan belt was beginning to shred, stop engine, order new one, collect latter in the week and plan to fit at the week end

Well fan belt changed helped by Jim, turns out when he started out as a mechanic he worked on Land Rovers, test run to Dunfermline and back 50 miles, filled up on the way, spotted a leak on the axle letting some axle fluid out.

She starts and stops now a lot easier than before.

Must fin a diagram for the heating system, fond a cut on the fitting around the gear stick, also despite the handles set on cold hot air coming through the vents directed out my feet

Next trip on Friday