Fined for driving 25mph on an A road

Pete Ashby

The offence using a motor veh with consideration for other road users for example a3 into London rush hour running out of fuel fine and three points double parking and causing a tail back same a convoy of ex military vets going along at 20 mph with a big tail back would be the same ,present day military all try to keep to UK rules but can under mod run long convoys but try not to THe Police will have to justify offence

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite interesting viewpoints to be read , all I can add is that in my 30 years of driving , 20 plus of that Scammells , in the south east it's the volume of traffic and lack of any patience by general road users that's the largest problem , last year I experienced road rage against me twice beyond anything gestured before, we are often running close to 65' in length with the old tackle so finding suitable places to stop to let traffic past can be awkward , if you know the route I plan where to pull over, where good visibility for overtaking traffic is essential.

These dangerous experiences have made me think long and hard about the future of travelling distances at slower speeds safely ! I am very fortunate not to have been phased by this but others I know will only low loader their toys for fear of modern day road sense.

To make you chuckle I have been blue lighted twice in this time , once in the Explorer and the other in the Constructor , heart pounding and both times checking my mirrors to see if I had a trailer blowout I pulled in behind them , one wanted a photo and the other's father drove for Pickfords thinking it was his fathers old lorry !

An interesting thread to read thus far. Since buying the Militant - but not driving it on-road yet - I find now that as I drive generally the old ways of looking for lay-bys or safe pull-over positions is resurfacing. And thus I find it highly frustrating to see lay-bys closed off for no apparent reason one after the other. With the best will in the world, if local authorities are closing off the lay-bys (I would hazard a guess it's because of travellers taking up residence) then a driver of a slow moving vehicle has no option but to continue, regardless of traffic build-up, until the driver can identify a place that is safe to pull over.

I think the contention in this post is caused by the title " Fined for driving 25mph on an A roads "They were not. They were fined for careless driving with out due care and consideration to other road users and quite rightly so i think. People also think this is a new thing i can think of at least 3 other occasions when prosecutions have been brought under similar legislation local to were i live. One i know of very well was an old couple who used to live on the farm where i now live. Every sat morning they would go into the local town a distance of 12 miles shopping they never used to get out of fast tick over in 2nd gear in a ford classic. At that time the A63 was the main trunk road and it used to cause mayhem. After being stopped advised and cautioned many times the case was sent to Beverly magistrates who imposed an endorsement and 21s fine. This was enough to convince them they were now too old and past it to run the small holding and they retired.

Edited by cosrec

What i am trying to get over is there is no victimization going on no need for paranoia common sense will win in the end who ever it was turned out to be a total jerk despite his expert advice

Edited by cosrec

What i am trying to get over is there is no victimization going on no need for paranoia common sense will win in the end who ever it was turned out to be a total jerk despite his expert advice

Not sure there is a suggestion of paranoia or victimization in the threads so far cosrec :-), it's more about a timely reminder for all of us to be aware, the point of interest regarding the actual speed at which the fine the was imposed is that it is close to the speed that a number of our larger vehicles travel at around the average 25mph to 35mph mark.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
missing word

Not sure there is a suggestion of paranoia or victimization in the threads so far cosrec :-), it's more about a timely reminder for all of us to be aware, the point of interest regarding the actual speed at which the fine the was imposed is that it is close to the speed that a number of our larger vehicles travel at around the average 25mph to 35mph mark.

Pete

Nothing wrong with a bit of a reminder. Most of us are or should be aware but as can be seen this is an interesting thread and is stimulating discussion. All good stuff as it is interesting in the original incident the young lad seemed to be in absolute denial not accepting he had done anything wrong! We have all seen it I am sure and that sort of attitude does the vast majority of good farmers and contractors etc no favours.

Iain

No I'm not worried Sean it doesn't really impact on me...

Pete

Pete, yes, with you.

It is, as you say, all about common courtesy and situational awareness, which should apply to any driver; and worth flagging up every so often.

I am only working from memory, but I am pretty certain that magistrates' court cannot set precedent.

Pete, yes, with you.

I am only working from memory, but I am pretty certain that magistrates' court cannot set precedent.

No I'm not sure either Sean, my limited experience is confined to health & safety and contract law :yawn:, however I do wonder if Persuasive Precedent may have a part to play that's why I included the link to the definitions so that people could make their own informed judgment. The finer points of the legal system are well outside my scope but as NoS pointed out further back in this thread... that's what Briefs are paid to do..... for both sides.

Nothing to get hung up about but worth bearing in mind.

Pete

As one lawyer said to me 'It's the word 'Reasonable' makes us our money. :-D

Just so Tony.... 'the reasonable act of the reasonable Man/Women' :readpaper:

I have sadly wasted many hours of my life trying to define and justify just that.

Pete

Pete, given your comment above I assume that's in an 'as low as reasonably practical' context?

Indeed it is Sean with standard controls and back up in place and a contingency plan filed ;)

(all in another life and another place now)

Pete

You can try to polish a turd as mach as one like but my money is on the fact the driver (who may not have been a farmer) was totally aware of his surroundings, if NOT then he should not have been driving, Chances are he was on his phone laughing to his mates about the tail back behind him. Sorry but the fines/ punishments are FAR too low for these type of people. Ive followed "Beet" tractors in Suffolk during harvest who's drivers have NO regard for other motorists.

Saying all the above it is a reminder that driving slow vehicles we all need to be aware whats behind us................

Edited by gas 44

This case has been discussed at length elsewhere; the guy also got done for having badly defective tyre/s. Having pulled the vehicle the coppers would not really have been able to have ignored this; it seems to me that they might have just cautioned if the traffic hold up was the only problem.

@ Gas 44 - not to mention shedding beets all over other driver's windscreens (mine!) - happened to me between Mildenhall and Thetford years ago and I am not sure they are piled any less high now !

Iain

it doesn't take long to get a good queue formed with the speeds cars operate at now.

I regularly tow artic's with an underlift(ERF) and always get good queues on 'a' roads, especially if i don't know them, as I drive within my stopping distances. And it's not easy finding a layby to pull that lot into to let the audi/bmw clan past. Most have something parked in them, apart from the fact that by the time you've pulled out again and got back up to speed the queues forming again,i usually stop wherever the road is wide enough to safely let traffic past before getting off again.

however I've never been pulled for it so i'll deal with that if and when it happens.

Several posts referring to the driver included ' Professional '.

Does this simply not imply this was part of his paid work rather than his experience or ability. Of course a reputable employer ought to explain to 'green behind the ears' recruits how they should behave and respect for other road users but ultimately not in their interest when time is money.

• 1 month later...

Oh Kerist, don't get me started on cyclists. Last week one collided with me at night when I was walking on the pavement near my house and tonight an almost identical incident only this time there was two of 'em and I was only clipped on the arm. They were all adults riding at speed without lights and came from behind me, none of them stopped and in the first incident the busturd swore at me and rode on laughing, leaving me lying on the floor. It's a well lit main road and I will recognise him, my time will come and big and young as he is, old age and an old trick will cause this tw*ts downfall.:cool2:

Oh Kerist, don't get me started on cyclists. Last week one collided with me at night when I was walking on the pavement near my house and tonight an almost identical incident only this time there was two of 'em and I was only clipped on the arm. They were all adults riding at speed without lights and came from behind me, none of them stopped and in the first incident the busturd swore at me and rode on laughing, leaving me lying on the floor. It's a well lit main road and I will recognise him, my time will come and big and young as he is, old age and an old trick will cause this tw*ts downfall.:cool2:

I sympathise with you, when working in London a majority seemed to think the Highway Code was not for them, especially red traffic lights

I'm happy to be moaned at for being boring and critical of people who put a lot of effort into going to shows, I know how much work and preparation goes into it. But an example I saw yesterday other people may have seen it or been stuck in it. Traveling to Poole M27 to A31 where it goes to duel carriage way from 3 lanes on the hill with the bend. I'm sure many people know it, There where 2 beautiful living wagons being pulled by 2 equally lovely single cylinder tractors on their way to the Dorset steam fair. All very nice but in my mind bloody dangerous at 11am on a week day. The double then 3 lane tail back was probably 3-4 miles, luckily for me i was traveling back to London! traveling at night would be even more dangerous, to my mind if you can't travel on minor roads where we are more used to get trapped behind slow tractors and you have to travel long distances on A or M roads and can't do at lease 30mph go on a transporter! its not just the slow moving vehicles drivers life at risk. I've heard all the "people are too impatient " comments but is there anybody on here who hasn't moaned about getting stuck in a mystery Que for 30 minis on the M25 when you have to be somewhere at a specific time? I await comments;)