30 cal deac

jim fl4

Hi,

I have a browning 30 cal, deactivated 1989. I cannot pull the bolt back. When I have lifted the top lid up I can see the bolt moves about 1mm before stopping dead.

I assume it ought to cock and dry fire but the trigger is also stuck. I don't think the bolt is seized because it does freely move about 1mm. Tried everything and I'm still stumped, have anybody got any ideas as to the problem??

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Turn the gun upside down on a sturdy surface. Bang it firmly up & down on the top cover a couple of times.

Turn it back & Re-Bang this way as well. try to cock again.

It is difficult to diagnose a fault without having the Deact in your hands. Some dealers when cutting this model of MG.

Remove the locking ramp form the receiver, but leaving the locking block in the barrel extention.

It sometimes sticks in the locking positon & will not fall. Thus lock is still in position.

It does sound as though you MAY have something more complicated with your's though, possibly.

Are you coming down to war & Peace this year? If so, I can fix/ repair on site. failing that. PM Me.

Unless you are familiar with the internal workings of this gun. & understand CORRECTLY, how to field strip it. DONT!!!!!!!

There is a LOOOONG driving spring in the bolt assembly. & if you fail to follow the correct procedure, it WILL fly out.

& has the potential to take your eye out! & at Best, you may lose some components from the gun!......

Edited by ferretfixer

Have a 30cal deact... cycle works fine - had considered stripping it out of curiosity more than anything else... will give it a miss for the time being until sure I've found my safety goggles and someone who is experienced in putting it all back together.

Useful thread - thanks.

Cheers

Tim

Google 'stripping a Browning 30. cal' and you will get a few results including useful youtube videos. I seems fairly doable, but only as long as you can fully pull the bolt back and retain it in that position.

With mine the bolt is stuck and therefore I need it looking at by someone who knows these weapons.

Cheers

Jim