FWD Su-Coe Gun Tractor

matman41

Hello All,

I have just bought a FWD Su-Coe, from what I have been told I believe it to be a 1941 build from contract SM2018 (chassis 61132).

It is ex-Danish though I am unsure if it is Army or Civil Defence?

Any help with information would be greatly appreciated?

I am also looking for a rear Artillery body and any other FWD related items for the restoration back to its original configuration if anyone can help or offer any leads?

Mel

:)

DSCF5832.JPG

DSCF5827.JPG

DSCF5830.JPG

DSCF5831.JPG

Is that switch panel and gear lever gate original, or something added later? I am not really familiar with the cab layout on these.

Hi Trevor,

I am pretty certain that it is a Post War 'add on'. Most of the switch holes on the dash have blanking plates over them too, which also suggests they have been moved.

Cheers

Mel

Its an ex danish civil defense, (Aux fire service), though it might, prior to this, have been used by the army.

Hi Niels,

It has blue/grey paint in the cab and on the outside (underneath the 'sandy' coloured top coat). Then in places in the cab & underneath where the blue/grey has peeled off you can see what looks to be deep bronze green.

Regards

Mel

Nice to see another one added to the UK fleet. More details would be good....does it run? Is it the original engine setup or has it been replaced with something a little more economic?!

Hi Russ,

It still has the Waukesha engine in it, but at the moment it doesn't run as one of the previous owners has removed the rear cylinder head (don't know why!!), so I am currently looking for a head gasket before I can even try to get it running :-(

The intention is to put it back into original spec. with the wooden Matador style body (though if a steel one came up I wouldn't say no). The back of the chassis has been shortened by about 12" to make it into a tractor unit but the winch rollers are still in place, just moved forward.

What else would you like to know?

Regards

Mel

Why some donut took the head off! I don't know if you've heard of a place called Jobbers Inc in Philadelphia America.....they have spares for the SRKR engine - a couple of months back they even had a complete running engine with really low mileage.....but they wanted TOP whack for it. But they had a list of parts they had for the SRKR. My gun tractor has its original steel body on it.....which someday i intend on using as a pattern to build a new one! Where did you find the truck?

Why some donut took the head off! I don't know if you've heard of a place called Jobbers Inc in Philadelphia America.....they have spares for the SRKR engine - a couple of months back they even had a complete running engine with really low mileage.....but they wanted TOP whack for it. But they had a list of parts they had for the SRKR. My gun tractor has its original steel body on it.....which someday i intend on using as a pattern to build a new one! Where did you find the truck?

Hi Russ,

Not heard of them but will have a look at their website.

Not sure why the head is off, there is nothing obvious. The guy I bought it from in Holland had bought it like that and was also unsure why it had been taken off?!?

I saw the pictures you posted of your GT, I would be very interested to see how much the winch sticks up into the body??

Regards

Mel

Am I right in thinking that the body is the same as a Matador one? If so, many MANY years ago there was a complete Matador body at Job Earnshaw timber merchants at Midgley, near Wakefield. I'm talking at least 30 years ago (I've been in the IOM 25 years) but it was in very good condition then and I think it was raised up off the ground so if it's still around it shouldn't have rotted from underneath. The company is still going so it might be worth a call or a visit.

As Matman41 you probably knew about Earnshaw's anyway ...

Looks in very good condition much the same as my ex fire service one. I'd say you're more than welcome to come and have a look around it any time you're this way.....you might struggle to see though as there is so much crap in the back!! The offer is there though :)

Am I right in thinking that the body is the same as a Matador one? If so, many MANY years ago there was a complete Matador body at Job Earnshaw timber merchants at Midgley, near Wakefield. I'm talking at least 30 years ago (I've been in the IOM 25 years) but it was in very good condition then and I think it was raised up off the ground so if it's still around it shouldn't have rotted from underneath. The company is still going so it might be worth a call or a visit.

Hi Ivor,

Yes it is almost identical to the Matador body, just a bit different on the position of the cross members to suit the chassis I believe, but that wouldn't be a problem to alter.

I haven't heard of Earnshaws to be honest, but they aren't far away from where I am so I will have a venture over, certainly has to be worth asking them :cool2:

Regards

Mel

Looks in very good condition much the same as my ex fire service one. I'd say you're more than welcome to come and have a look around it any time you're this way.....you might struggle to see though as there is so much crap in the back!! The offer is there though :)

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the offer, where about's are you based? Would also be interesting to see how the back end of your GT is set up with regards to the air brake cylinder at the rear for the guns, I saw from your pictures it's still fitted.

What style of dash does your GT version have?

Regards

Mel

I'm based about 5/6 miles north of Cambridge. The dash is different to yours, with circular dials and a fair few of them. I'm pretty sure there was only the 2 variants wasn't there?

Hi Russ,

Yes I believe there were just the 2 types. It would seem that some of the switches were often in different locations on the dash though. I have 2 manuals showing the early dash and the light switches etc. are in different places!!!

Are you going to put a GS body back on the red one?

Regards

Mel

Earnshaws moved from Midgley down the road to the former Denby Grange Colliery site some years ago. The original yard is now occupied by houses and as far as I am aware the few matador bits left, basically a pile of wheels, were disposed of. You could give them a call, but I am not optimistic.

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, Gunner said:

Hi Mel:

I just bought the gun tractor advertised in Edmonton. As part of sorting the paperwork I need to know where the serial number is stamped on the frame. Can you advise?

Cheers! Mike

+1 613 489 0489

Hi Mike,

I've sent you a private message.

Cheers, Mel

• 7 months later...