FV 432 Mk1 owner 04EA69

Hi all firstly introductions call me Reggie Campbell, I am restoring the 432 Mk 1 back to its original 1963 state as it served with the Queens Royal Irish Hussars at the RAC Centre training Regt in 1968/69. its history is also great it was trialed in Aden served in Hong Kong where it was painted Blue and done most of the infantry/RAC units in BOAR until the 1980's it was then stored as a BCR vehicle for war stock. It went to the 1991 Gulf war as a BCR and was used by the Royal Engineers as a mail delivery system as it was armouered even though it was Petrol and still running its B81 Rolls Royce Engine.

In 1995 she was sold for scrap and displayed in shoreham airfield until it was flooded and was moved to farmland in sussex where she became partially buried and lay for twenty plus years, I started last year to try and have her recovered due to the location a river to her rear, overhead high tension electric cables etc and she had sunk to the belly this was real Fun.

After three attempts we with lots of local help and assistance and a group of good friends we got her out on 8th June 2016 with not to much danage and only throwing the right track, so track bashing shortly to put that back on! it was a time capsule and the inside is vitually intact and original so very happy! the only modification I can see from its original state is that in the 80's she was FFR Clansman so thtas not a bad thing as can work with that, parts easy to come by also. I have lots of experience and a vast tech data base on tracked British Army kit so am willing to share knowledge if anyone needs help. I am also a member of Solent Overlord Executive and the only FV 432 owner currently there so am hoping to get to meet a few more on here. look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

20160608_130916.jpgThese are in no particular order but cover the last year from finding her to recovering her on 8th June 2016, I will post photos of the interior later if you want but thanks for the advice and I am located in Southampton so anyone nearby.

6.7.15 014.jpg

13th july 2015 FV 432 099.jpg

13th july 2015 FV 432 102.jpg

20160608_083833.jpg

20160608_113507.jpg

20160608_130801.jpg

20160608_130942.jpg

20160608_131220.jpg

20160608_133202.jpg

20160608_133912.jpg

20160608_134244.jpg

20160608_141930.jpg

20160608_142646.jpg

20160608_174743.jpg

Turkey may 2016 and 432 753.jpg

Turkey may 2016 and 432 802.jpg

Turkey may 2016 and 432 804.jpg

Is that classed as Recovery or Archeology? Good job you photgraphed it , no one would belive it otherwise. Just had an odd trhought. My local sorting office at Orpington has an engraved plate on the wall showing a Landy and 432 + 1, I can't remember. It commemerates the Gulf War BFPS.

Edited by Tony B

Good Recovery pictures there Reggie very good find and complete with the smoke discharges and GPMG mount lucky find.

How complete is the interior ? guess you looking forward checking the pack over and getting it fired up....you can download all the manuals from FV.432.co.uk club and if you need any help with anything let us know.

Regards

Michael

you were not exaggerating when you said buried..

Some people wondered why as I like to get things done quickly was it taking so long! its a point to note that there are other items buried and supposed to be aircraft that where just rolled into holes had canvas threw over them and covered over. I took a year and three attempts but we did it.

Some of the guys couldn't believe her inside when you think no one had been in there for over twenty years, you almost wanted to throw the master switch to see if the lights worked, the spiders webs did make it ghostly too

Is that classed as Recovery or Archeology? Good job you photgraphed it , no one would belive it otherwise. Just had an odd trhought. My local sorting office at Orpington has an engraved plate on the wall showing a Landy and 432 + 1, I can't remember. It commemerates the Gulf War BFPS.

Tony that would be interesting to see if its the same 432 MK1 in the picture as am told the guys from Mill Hill loved having them but only had two assigned to them the rest was land rovers, if you can post that photo it will give me more history.

We found a kit bag and mail sack inside with personal details from gulf War 1991 that's how we where able to trace more of the history, "Keep me posted" on the photo seems very apt.

regards Reggie

Good Recovery pictures there Reggie very good find and complete with the smoke discharges and GPMG mount lucky find.

How complete is the interior ? guess you looking forward checking the pack over and getting it fired up....you can download all the manuals from FV.432.co.uk club and if you need any help with anything let us know.

Regards

Michael

Cheers Michael we are getting the batteries sorted now and going to clean her out a little first then see if there she is free turning the quickest way will be with and external marine tank till we check out the fuel system for leaks but will post internal photo's for you all shortly.

The GPMG mount will take a lot of work to free off but scouring a Bren mount to fit to take her back to 1960's look will probably be easier and cheaper that getting deactivated GPMG to mount, manuals I have all the originals even some that are not on the club so if they wish to copy them they are more than welcome we found loads of what I call Town and country tyres inside as well heard story's that when they sold trucks off people used to find it was loaded with other kit just to get rid of it so don't know if this was the case in the 80's but am sure they will be of use to someone.

keep in touch and will keep you up to date with the progress as we get moving.

regards REGGIE

Welcome aboard! You haven't filled in the location part of your profile, but I suspect you're somewhere close to me?

Andy

Hi Andy I am only down the road in Southampton, so your more than welcome to pop over the more the merrier,this is going to be a very interesting summer

Welcome in!

I saw the recovery pictures on Facebook and it looks like quite a decent vehicle, considering the many years sitting. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry

Overall it in quite good nick, 90 links either side and all the road wheels etc excellent as she had been stored as a BCR that's probably the reason why, it actually helped having to be dug out not so many bits could be removed. Also its location made it hard to find and recover so very good everything considered hope the engine will be ok but we can only see shortly

Hi Andy I am only down the road in Southampton, so your more than welcome to pop over the more the merrier,this is going to be a very interesting summer

Thanks Reggie - PM sent. That was really well buried - congratulations on the recovery!

Andy

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

I am Greg Pittams from Auckland NZ. I operate a FV 432 down under. My wife an I are traveling around UK by campervan all of August. I would like to meet some of you if possible , please e-mail to pit_mech@xtra.co.nz. I am having trouble with removing seized track pins from the hex bushes. If someone has experience in this and is there a sorce of replacement track bushes over there. 

Please help with contact details 

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...