RE: British Rations

Danny152

Menu 17 has an Oatmeal Block, not sure which other menus have them, I only have a list for menus 11-20. Here are some photos of 2/3rds of my Oatmeal Blocks, the other tin is in my truck and available for viewing at Wicksteed at War this weekend, look for the West Wilts MVT banner

Wish I was going - still got the old P38 can opener on my key ring!! :-) :-)

They are still supplied in the 10 man ration packs! Or they were 6 years ago when I was given a 10 man pack.

I haven't seen a 10 man pack in 30+ years :) For ease I've been getting the 10 x 1 man pack boxes from evilbay for use at shows. - saves taking fresh food other than maybe bread. First box i got were late 80's and were very good - had Biscuits AB, Biscuits Fruit AB, Oatmeal Blocks and Yorkie bars in them with a nice selection of meals. Last box I got was a more recent issue - most of the good stuff was gone - breakfasts were replaced by friggin muesli for gods sake!!

I've been given an open but complete 24hr GS from 1995 if anyone wants it, it's no longer edible but may be of use in a display. Beans and bacon, menu A. All the packaging is intact just no longer edible. This is the green foil packs for the biscuits and oatmeal block type.

Edited by snowdrop358
spelling

I've been given an open but complete 24hr GS from 1995 if anyone wants it, it's no longer edible but may be of use in a display. Beans and bacon, menu A. All the packaging is intact just no longer edible. This is the green foil packs for the biscuits and oatmeal block type.

Are you sure it's no longer edible?? In the mid seventies we were eating packs dated late 50's :)

As an aside. My son Tom, now strapping six foot plus and a Farther himself, was born three months premature. He was unable to breast feed so was given a concotion of artfical milk, it stunk something rotten but he lapped it up. One of the nurse's told me that though the stuff was remarkable it had a chequered history. Apparently at one time it had been trialled in Royal Marine rations, they hated it! :-D

Ah ! Biscuits Dog, Cheese Posessed, and a squirt of Jam. :cool2: Marvellous !

Cheese, Possessed was very much sought after by an acquaintance. He was a keen angler and had discovered it was irresistible to carp. (I suspect it was promptly banned from use in competitions.)

Cheese, Possessed was very much sought after by an acquaintance. He was a keen angler and had discovered it was irresistible to carp. (I suspect it was promptly banned from use in competitions.)

It was called Cheese possessed for a very good reason!! :wow: :wow:

Feeding to prisoners was considered a cruel and unusal punishment. Apparently first made in US by Kraft in 1916, when the MOD must have obtained it supplies, found this quote Competitors referred to it as embalmed cheese.:-D For those who have never endured, think of a large lump of the orange muck on cheeseburgers.

• 3 months later...

Tins-Steak and Kidney Pudding,Cheese Processed,Bacon Burgers and one other(stored away again and cannot remember what the other was).2 x packs biscuits plain,1 x sweet,Oatmeal Block,Tea and Sugar,Tube of Jam,instructions,the original box and thats about it I think. Cannot upload pics but can email over to anyone interested. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I sampled some of this stuff in the early 80s, via a friend who was in the TA, in the form of a few 24 hour ration packs. I was home for a couple of weekends from college and he was peddling them for less than I would have paid for supplies in the local shops. I was also curious. Green metallised plastic packaging, IIRC, for the Biccies AB (I liked these; there again I was always happy enough to nibble a dry savoury cracker with my tea) etc. But the only difference I could discern between Bacon Burgers and Bacon Grill was in the direction in which you sliced them. Quite tasty stuff, anyway. The grey Steak and Kidney Puds were good too; I think they might have been the same as the Goblin branded individual ones in the supermarkets at that time.

Overall I was surprised at how good it was.

Thought you might like a civvy 'gourmet' opinion!