Wanted: A driver to take a GMC CCKW to Normandy

jonesy

I've been contacted by the president of the Greatest Generations Foundation who are desperately needing a driver to take a GMC from Milton Keynes to Normandy via Portsmouth. The destination will be St. Marie du Mont. The foundation organises the return of WWII veterans from America to their battlegrounds. This year will see ten veterans visiting Normandy and I guess part of their plan is to ferry them around in the GMC as long as they can get it over there.

I asked him a few relevant questions and this was his reply:-

Is it fully insured and would insurance for the driver be sorted out?

It will be once a driver has been found so that the name can be added to the insurance.

Will there be passengers going along?

No passengers

Will the driver be required during the duration of your visit to Normandy?

No, we will drive the truck around ourselves

Would the driver have to sort out the ferry crossing beforehand?

No, we would make all those arrangements too.

What date do you want it there by?

Need it there by June 02.

So if anybody fancies helping out a very good organisation and get a free trip to Normandy where all you've got to pay is your return ticket as a passenger, then please drop me a message and I'll pass on your details to the Foundation. Just the chance to meet ten WWII veterans should be good enough reason to do it.

Neil.

From what I gather it's the driver's choice as to which port he uses. Cherbourg is the closest one to St. Marie du Mont.

I saw that when looking on the map, I have to say it is drawing me in, I assume they have a secure area if delivery is earlier I have to be in Cumbria for the 1st.

Still looking for a driver.

Just to carify that there won't be any passengers to pick up therfore you can cram as many people or cargo as you wish to join you on the journey. Any passengers of the driver would have to pay costs though.

Can't help being on a different island and all, but what's the unrefuelled range of a GMC?

Looking a bit hairy over on t'continent right now.

Depends on how it is driven, I used to average 10mpg on a run cruising at 40mph. Tank holds 33 Imperial gallons (40 US galls). Assuming the vehicle starts with a full tank it should cover the distance even if the fuel consumption was as high as 6mpg.

The cost of a one way ferry crossing back to Portsmouth is around £35.

And then either back to East London or point of origin if I have to pick my vehicle up. All my spare cash now is headed towards getting a Militant back on the road. Had I still been working I could have taken a couple of days leave and covered the costs. Sadly as it is the only income I have is my company pension currently.