Ferret bevel box seals

MiketheBike

I am working my way up from the ground before starting cosmetic refresh on the ferret.

whilst looking at the wheel stations, I noticed a large O ring appears to have snapped on the outer bevel box, and there is not one at all on the left front ( both rears are intact).

i think this is item 38 in v622, at the end of paragraph 140?

"outside the flange of the locking ring a o-section ring (38) sealing the inner tracta housing is fitted."

this is a big ring, maybe 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch in cross-section.

can I just take it off, clean it up and superglue the ends together in situ before easing back into place, with the glued section uppermost?

I could also get some more rubber of the same cross-section and make one for the left wheel?

or can new ones be sourced and fitted without taking the drums etc off?

thanks,

mickimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes you can superglue it! But fit a new one, it doesn't do much except stop dirt and muck going into the bevel box vtia he actual seal consists of originally two cork square section rings inside the bevel box which you cannot see

Diana

I am working my way up from the ground before starting cosmetic refresh on the ferret.

whilst looking at the wheel stations, I noticed a large O ring appears to have snapped on the outer bevel box, and there is not one at all on the left front ( both rears are intact).

i think this is item 38 in v622, at the end of paragraph 140?

"outside the flange of the locking ring a o-section ring (38) sealing the inner tracta housing is fitted."

this is a big ring, maybe 5 or 6 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch in cross-section.

can I just take it off, clean it up and superglue the ends together in situ before easing back into place, with the glued section uppermost?

I could also get some more rubber of the same cross-section and make one for the left wheel?

or can new ones be sourced and fitted without taking the drums etc off?

thanks,

mick[ATTACH=CONFIG]115198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115200[/ATTACH]

Hi Diana,

is it possible to get the o ring on without dismantling everything? They seem to do a good selection at Simply Bearings online....or I may try Pirtek up the road from me.

Thanks,

Mick

oh..how rude...thanks for replying :)

Edited by MiketheBike
bad manners

Yes you can buy the cord online at ebay, the trick is to make a clean cut at both ends, a Jig can be had to do this. Place something under the joint (grease proof paper) or it will stick to the bevel box when you super glue it.

You also need to get the correct cord to resist oil.

No probs

Diana

Hi Diana,

is it possible to get the o ring on without dismantling everything? They seem to do a good selection at Simply Bearings online....or I may try Pirtek up the road from me.

Thanks,

Mick

oh..how rude...thanks for replying :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With regards to the cork seal inside the hub, I am currently trialing a rubber replacement seal. The cork seals leak something terrible. I have carefully cut a rubber strip the same dimension as the cork strip and fitted it today. I will assemble it back together tomorrow and see what happens. Surely rubber will do a better job than cork. Has anyone else done this?

2 x 3mm (3mm from memory) dia viton cord, joints at top and displaced from one another. Grease liberally all areas, align joint, push, pray and @&&&&!!!

Diana

With regards to the cork seal inside the hub, I am currently trialing a rubber replacement seal. The cork seals leak something terrible. I have carefully cut a rubber strip the same dimension as the cork strip and fitted it today. I will assemble it back together tomorrow and see what happens. Surely rubber will do a better job than cork. Has anyone else done this?
Edited by Diana and Jackie

I got it all back together. Minimal oil leak. Significantly better than the cork seal. I now need to do the other three. I think I will pull the front ones out from inside, rather than taking the suspension assembly off. The other rear one will have to come out by taking the suspension off.

Yes, as soon as I get around to doing another one, I will photo the entire process. I was chasing a gearbox oil leak today. Its really got me scratching my head. Im probably going to have to bite the bullet and pull it out and work out where its coming from. Damn.

I think that was also contributing to the oil in the bottom of the hull. I have tied them up and degreazed the hull out today. So I will start it up tomorrow after its all dried out and see if I can see where its coming from.