FWD su-coe up for auction

HYO was a London registration series. Most of the records I have for HYO are Forestry Commission.

Trevor - the early Wynns FWDs appear to be CU-COEs. I have no record of any surviving into later timber work. The ones most commonly noted were the FDW ones. These were fitted with MAT bodies. Will look to see if earlier ones are LHD. I was old by Maurice Saunders that many CUs had Southampton area regs because they were imported there???

Totally agree, Degsy.

No point whatsoever in blanking off 1st gear (or crawler or highest ratio) other than to be bloody-minded :red::drive:

Not strictly true, some Rover 3.5 P6 police cars had first gear blanked off and Contractor mk2 had a recommendation not to use the first 2 ratios in the transfer box due to torque limitations of the drive train.

Not strictly true, some Rover 3.5 P6 police cars had first gear blanked off and Contractor mk2 had a recommendation not to use the first 2 ratios in the transfer box due to torque limitations of the drive train.

The simple reason for this is incompetent/unsympathetic drivers. I used to work for a company that ran a fleet of naturally aspirated V8 engined Merc tippers, driven correctly they were very good off road but bad drivers would bog them and instead of getting towed out would try to unstick themselves. This would result in destruction of the prop shaft or the clutch or in extreme cases both items caused by the high torque in low gear.

HYO was a London registration series. Most of the records I have for HYO are Forestry Commission.

Trevor - the early Wynns FWDs appear to be CU-COEs. I have no record of any surviving into later timber work. The ones most commonly noted were the FDW ones. These were fitted with MAT bodies. Will look to see if earlier ones are LHD. I was old by Maurice Saunders that many CUs had Southampton area regs because they were imported there???

I have photos of 7 of the 12 operated by Wynns. I am happy they are su-coes....Wynns registered their FWDs between 9/46 and 11/47. Some were fitted with twin wheels, 3 different body styles fitted, wooden box, metal tray and Nash-Morgan. (I am hoping to meet up with a Nash-Morgan man this summer). 78 FWD cu-coes were registered in Bristol during the period 11/8/42-12/11/43 to the Home Timber production Department, the Bristol Council records show which areas the trucks were used in, mostly councils but a few were used by transport companies for the war effort. One was used by Wynns. Destruction dates are recorded for most. I have visited Southampton council archives and found no listing for any FWD cu-coes, just a few su-coes after the military salesddw601-2.jpg Cu-coes were very camera shy, but this photo hopefully shows the difference in chassis length compared with the Wynns su-coe. Also the diesel tank has a centre neck compared with a petrol end mounted neck

cu-coe-1.jpg

Just to confirm, Trevor - the top photo (of the SWB truck) shows a FWD as supplied in timber tractor form?

Some great detective work you've done on these trucks!

Top photo is a FWD cu-coe...timber tractor.....not very clear but chalked on the body is `S/M 2080 (supply mech) FWD model CU`. The fuel tank is marked `use fuel-oil only`

• 3 months later...