Ferret engine covers.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Are these locks not just Budget Locks as widely used in the coachbuilding/commercial vehicle world?

These keys are easily available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Key-Zinc-Plated-For-Budget-Lock-Used-On-Horseboxes-Bus-Coach-Trailer-2257-001-/141542585603?hash=item20f4987503:g:OOAAAOSwzrxUt-K2

I suspect it is the same as a Pig in which case it is:

Key, lock, square 5340-99-808-9419

Hi again, anyone have or know where I may be able to get hold of the box spanner/key for the engine cover catches on a ferret. I have emailed Mr Bannister and waiting for a reply but thought I would ask here as well.

Cheers Steve.

Steve,

He has been on holiday and should be back this week.

Are these locks not just Budget Locks as widely used in the coachbuilding/commercial vehicle world?

These keys are easily available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Key-Zinc-Plated-For-Budget-Lock-Used-On-Horseboxes-Bus-Coach-Trailer-2257-001-/141542585603?hash=item20f4987503:g:OOAAAOSwzrxUt-K2

I suspect it is the same as a Pig in which case it is:

Key, lock, square 5340-99-808-9419

Hi Clive, the key I am looking for is a square one, but it is a key with the square inside much the same as what a socket end looks like which connects to the ratchet end, hope you understand what I mean. It's the best way I can describe it.

You can actually use the end of a 3/8 ratchet extension for those locks. A suitable spanner stuck on the end helps.

Cheers Vince, will have to give that a shot. Have noticed that the square on the catches are a bit out of shape as though they have been hit with maybe a hammer and the edges are burred over. Not a lot of room to get a file in to reshape them.

You can unbolt the lock assemblies from the cover to do that. The ones on mine are seized so they'll be coming off soon for some treatment.

Yes I have taken them off to free them but the square post is inset, meaning the plate where the catch bolts to the engine cover is level with the top of the square post. Hope you have better luck with freeing yours off Vince. It has taken me about 3 days of soaking in AC90 and applying heat to get them free enough to turn by hand, by turning them from the locking lug. At the moment all 4 are soaking in very thin oil ready to be bolted back on. I shall defo be keeping them well oiled from now on.

• 3 months later...

i took a 6 inch long 3/8 inch ratchet extension and ground down one end smooth. I then heated the extension with a torch and bent it 90 degrees. I did all of this before realizing that one could purchase a "key" that would do the task. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

Cheers,

James