Ian L

WW2 RAF vehicle markings.

I think you might find that 'Type 123A' Humbers may have had something to do with Bletchley Park and 'Enigma'.

MI6 kept control of the 'Enigma' intelligence traffic, even to the point of attaching operators to military commands. As a general rule, only army group commanders (and RAF Command, well, commanders) had access to the full picture... Lower down had increasingly more limited access.

The operators had their own vehicles, which were managed by the RAF- the operators also held RAF ranks, commensurate with their position.

From my detailed exploration of the garages at Bletchley Park, it appears the operators initially had Packard Station Wagons, but ended up with Humbers and Dodge WC53/4s (it was thought that an US vehicle would be less obvious in the US sector).

The Special Liason Units that were attched to the HQ's were the ones that decoded the Traffic from Bletchley. Humbers were used as Y service intercept vehicles, and by RAF Brixmis post war.

slu cd.jpg

Edited by Tony B

When Bryan mentioned the Type 123a being for Y units only my olde brain didn't think of enigma - now that is a whole huge subject in its own right- I wonder if all the petty in fighting has stopped at Bletchley Park.

regards TED

If it is a 123a then it shouldn't have survived. All the specific vehicles built for Y Service were ordered destroyed.

Hi all

I am looking for information on the RAF unit numbers I have an old Ambulance,

I have found that RAF units used a / in their number system.

as on the front wing shown, the yellow paint is desert sand, i have coloured the numbers in.

IMG_1947.jpg

59dcb07a00b63_RAFORDERS1943.jpg.9b5d77441a039852d72d3f3f9f362fd0.jpg

Came across this picture the other day: Bedford MWC serving with RCAF squadron which added the (unofficial) Maple Leaf roundel to their ground vehicles. This was eventually adopted as the official national marking after WW2.

53071308_810698292600714_6204787030300295168_n.jpg

Rupert, I'm not sure you're reading the trace of the marking correctly.

It should be the command letter (F for Fighter, B for Bomber etc.) followed by the number of the group. so F/11 would be 11 Group, Fighter Command. There are some exceptions where a different number is used if the unit does not belong to a group.

The AMO you posted applies only to "home" units, those in Africa or the Middle/Far East would be covered by the regulations laid down by their respective command.

Hi RAFMT

It was just a shot in the dark as i knew about the F & B prefix,

just in case there were more symbols,

i have found that Canadian units used the unit serial number followed by /1

this does not add up as this came into force in 1943, which time the ambulance was in Australia., having travelled from i think the middle east or Singapore.(unlikely)

But it is a front wing after all.

regs

Rupert