10cwt mortar trailer.

3 hours ago, simon king said:

Peter,

You are very welcome to come over and look at my 10cwt GS in North Notts if you need to check or measure anything. Has the earlier type of hitch though 

Hi Simon. We were only talking about you and your trailer this afternoon.

Thanks for the offer, I will probably take you up on it after harvest.

At the moment I was hoping someone could give me some information on the trailer from the numbers, e,g, age and manufacturer.

Peter.

3 minutes ago, simon king said:

OEC is Owen Equipment Company I believe, one of 4 or 5 different manufacturers of these trailers, each firm having their own particular foibles

Thanks for the info Simon.

Any idea if it is wartime or post-war?

Peter.

4 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Could it not be Orme Evans - definitely wartime as it has an X number.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know it's wartime. I can do some research now into the 2 possible manufacturers.

Peter.

Contract number is definitely correct for a  GS No. 1 trailer. The chassis number is unusual ( A3253/879 ) as every chassis number I have seen  have been OE ******. The data plate is also unusual in that all my Orme Evans (OEC) plates are stamped steel whereas this one appears to be cast brass. Also the X number does not appear to be in the sequences quoted in the 'B' vehicle WD numbers (Rob van Meel's reprint).

Nothing like having a little mystery!

I've found the WD number lists to not always reflect reality, when I compared the list that included Loyd carrier 'T' number allocation to the actual contract cards that were hand marked up as and when contracts where altered during mid contract execution it was apparent that the lists accurately reflected the original vehicle production number in the supplier contract but not the production reality.  For instance, from the Tank museum contract cards it appears that all Loyd contacts were cancelled in November 1944, resulting in entire production runs included in the WD number lists being totally cancelled.  This leads to much confusion today as people treat the WD lists as gospel production figures.

Does any archive hold the trailer contract cards?

Edited by ajmac

3 hours ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Contract number is definitely correct for a  GS No. 1 trailer. The chassis number is unusual ( A3253/879 ) as every chassis number I have seen  have been OE ******. The data plate is also unusual in that all my Orme Evans (OEC) plates are stamped steel whereas this one appears to be cast brass. Also the X number does not appear to be in the sequences quoted in the 'B' vehicle WD numbers (Rob van Meel's reprint).

Nothing like having a little mystery!

Hi Toney.

The plate is cast brass and has been on there a long time. I did clean some of the thick green paint off it to photograph it. I also noticed it has fabricated rope hooks welded to the chassis instead of cast cleats bolted to the woodwork which I had not seen on GS trailers before.

Nice to have a mystery! Hope someone can sort it!

Peter

4 hours ago, ajmac said:

I've found the WD number lists to not always reflect reality, when I compared the list that included Loyd carrier 'T' number allocation to the actual contract cards that were hand marked up as and when contracts where altered during mid contract execution it was apparent that the lists accurately reflected the original vehicle production number in the supplier contract but not the production reality.  For instance, from the Tank museum contract cards it appears that all Loyd contacts were cancelled in November 1944, resulting in entire production runs included in the WD number lists being totally cancelled.  This leads to much confusion today as people treat the WD lists as gospel production figures.

Does any archive hold the trailer contract cards?

Deepcut have many of the key cards - go online and quote the X number or post war number and they will tell you if they have any info. If they have it will cost you £25 to get a copy .

i saved these pictures of the same brass OEC plate off the web a while ago. Probably came from the long HMVF thread on 10cwt trailers.

1549111389_dataplate-OECbrass2.jpg.995874c8c8504109fd543862be31b1b8.jpg1918456195_dataplate-OECbrass.jpg.46c209813093a43dcc6d45ed69f6b428.jpg

Looks as if the census number is only 10 distant from yours, Your census number X 5439529 is listed on page 87 on the copy of the Chilwell list that I have from the batch X5438651 to 5439610 - Make is listed as Brockhouse - did they buy out Orme Evans during the war?

Edited by simon king

2 hours ago, simon king said:

i saved these pictures of the same brass OEC plate off the web a while ago. Probably came from the long HMVF thread on 10cwt trailers.

1549111389_dataplate-OECbrass2.jpg.995874c8c8504109fd543862be31b1b8.jpg1918456195_dataplate-OECbrass.jpg.46c209813093a43dcc6d45ed69f6b428.jpg

Looks as if the census number is only 10 distant from yours, Your census number X 5439529 is listed on page 87 on the copy of the Chilwell list that I have from the batch X5438651 to 5439610 - Make is listed as Brockhouse - did they buy out Orme Evans during the war?

Yes they did - possible mystery solved.