Ferret distributor cap source in the USA?

njjeeper

So the Ferret went to its first MV show this weekend! Sadly it ran like crap off idle due to what looks like a really corroded distributor cap. I have a parade coming up and I would love to drive the Ferret but I cant find a place in the US to buy a new cap. Parts from the UK seem to take too long to arrive to be in time for the parade. Any tips on a place here in the states that could provide a cap in short order? Thanks in advance!

TJ

Edited by njjeeper

Could it be the pins that pierce the HT wires in the top of the cap? I have seen a couple of Ferrets where the previous maintainer had not ensured the wire ends stayed firmly on the pins so as the top cover was being fitted and screwed down, the wires pulled back away from the pins. The consequent sparking and charring of the pins and wire core caused poor spark. I cleaned the pins up with a Dremel and cut the wires back to good material.

As suggested, Khaki Corps sells Ferret parts in the US.

Malcolm

Its far beyond cleaning. There are deep pits scortched into the posts. Its as if it were the original cap from 1962! It needs to be replaced and due to timing, its asap :)

Maybe someone has fitted an incorrect rotor arm as it should not touch the cap, unless distributor bushes are worn badly.

Thanks all. Im trying to get in touch with Khaki Imports....no luck so far but I'm going to try again today.

The pits in the posts are just from wear, not contact with the rotor. I have seen it before in very old VW caps. The spark eventually wears away a spot which increases the gap. The pits in this cap are right in the center of the post, the edges are fine.

I did check the wires on top and they are quite firmly seated.

Best case, I would replace the HT leads as well but since getting these parts seems to be a bit of a trial over here I am not sure how far I will get.

TJ

njjeeper, I may be out in left field here but are you sure it's the worn cap posts that are causing the misfiring? Sparks in a healthy HT system can jump huge gaps in open air, as shown by the testers that use up to 1/2" gaps to properly stress the system.

Could it be the coil, condenser, points, carb, the more usual suspects?

Malcolm

Its possible there are other factors at play but since the cap is so nasty, its hard to reliably troubleshoot all the other items. I have swapped plugs and the problem persists in the same 2 cylinders. I ohm checked the wires and they are all about the same. I dont think its coil related because its just the 2 cylinders and not all of them. The only oddity I cant account for is that the cylinder is mostly dead at idle but if I rev it up, it begins sparking(verified with the ht lead off the offending cylinders). But again, with the cap being so gross, its hard to do as much troubleshooting downstream from there...

TJ

I am not certain but are J60 Distributor caps not the same as Lucas B series 6 cylinder ones ? J60s started off with the same double contact breaker system but the combination of higher revs and rotation in the oposite direction to the B series caused problems that were only sorted with the optical/electronic mod. As far as I know the cap is the same part. If it is the FV number may well be the same which would prove it. The NSN will not be the same as the application is different. The centrifugal advance mechanism is definitely different. I know that the rotor arms are interchangeable but the J60 one does not have the speed limiter function.

David

I am not certain but are J60 Distributor caps not the same as Lucas B series 6 cylinder ones ? J60s started off with the same double contact breaker system but the combination of higher revs and rotation in the oposite direction to the B series caused problems that were only sorted with the optical/electronic mod. As far as I know the cap is the same part. If it is the FV number may well be the same which would prove it. The NSN will not be the same as the application is different. The centrifugal advance mechanism is definitely different. I know that the rotor arms are interchangeable but the J60 one does not have the speed limiter function.

David

David the NSN would be the same. The Domestic Management Code was LV6MT8 or later 6MT8 was because it applied to more than one vehicle category. With the demise of Ferret the DMC became 9CVT as that was the only vehicle category now using it.

"These two cylinders that don't run they are not 2 & 3 or 4 & 5 by any chance?"

It's cyl 1 that's dead at slow idle. A few revs and once the engine speeds up it begins to spark.

That's good news then really, because in the past I have had running issues with 2 & 3 or 4 & 5 due to reduced compression from failure of the narrow isthmus of gasket blowing a bit at these two sites.

A few revs and once the engine speeds up it begins to spark.

Where is the spark across the plug gap or holding the plug lead connector near an earth point?

If it is at the plug, the voltage may not be sufficient to get a spark when under compression. I get about 1/2 in spark from the plug lead connector to earth.

Do you get about the same distance on all plug leads?

Thanks all. Im trying to get in touch with Khaki Imports....no luck so far but I'm going to try again today.

The pits in the posts are just from wear, not contact with the rotor. I have seen it before in very old VW caps. The spark eventually wears away a spot which increases the gap. The pits in this cap are right in the center of the post, the edges are fine.

I did check the wires on top and they are quite firmly seated.

Best case, I would replace the HT leads as well but since getting these parts seems to be a bit of a trial over here I am not sure how far I will get.

TJ

Pat might be on vacation...Also he has a full time job...Keep trying...

So I can't find much on the internet for NSN numbers. Does anyone know for sure if the CVRT cap will interchange with the B series ferret cap? They sure look the same but it would not be fun to find out they don't fit after I get it in my hands....