Jeeps in Postwar British service.- images and info, input welcome.

Nikos

For a while now a group of us have been researching and compiling information and photos on British M15 rebuild Jeeps (late 44 onwards), and also the use of the Jeep postwar in British service. In particular this relates to the ERM plated jeeps from 1949 onwards, of which I own one.

With over a hundred original images now collected, I have organised them on a flickr account for easy public access and cataloguing purposes. RLC keycards will be added soon.

Here is the flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/139397156@N06/

Please feel free to browse the ever growing library.

Also, all input is welcome. Have other images of jeeps in postwar British service? Please send them to me, or send me links. Know more about the history of the rebuilds and numbering systems? Everything is welcome.

We also have a facebook group for this discussion 'WW2 Jeeps Rebuilt by the British Army'.

Edited by Nikos

Best I can do is this photo of my Dad & a rather sorry-looking unidentified Jeep taken sometime between 1947 & 1950, most likely in Egypt (although it could also be somewhere either in Palestine or Trans-Jordan).

Yes please Kevin. Even if the vehicle cannot be identified it is still a useful addition. Any more information that you can provide to go with the photo would be great, particular his unit information.

Yes please Kevin. Even if the vehicle cannot be identified it is still a useful addition. Any more information that you can provide to go with the photo would be great, particular his unit information.

There's a little bit of info on the Flickr page, but nothing much beyond a general attempt at deciphering the Jeep's markings - my Dad was with the Royal Lincolnshire Regiment at the time (2nd Bn up to 28/10/1948 & then amalgamated with a cadre of 1st Bn, to become 1st Bn) & was generally to be found knocking about HQ it seems, as he was both in the Corps of Drums & was quite a good boxer, so had 'favourable' duties much of the time. He was also at one point in 1st Infantry Division demo platoon at the 'Battle School' (while in Palestine) & later in HQ Company Defence Platoon according to his letters, so to be honest, the Jeep could have belonged to any number of owners (I seem to recall that he said he took driving lessons & passed his test in a Jeep as well, which could account for its condition... ;) ).

Interesting to see that 16YH31 was one of the seven jeeps converted by the paras in Cyprus to carry a 106mm recoiless rifle at Suez

See

from 2.21

Yep it is. Thanks for the link of this video. It has another Jeep which I didn't have images of. 48YJ48 that is in that video. If you know of any images or videos of the other recoilless rifle jeeps from Suez I would love to see them!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this Ford jeep in 1999, Wally Duggan sent me the following info.Jeep chassis no.248159, post war no. 53 YH 35, WWII no.M5845220 sold at Bicester auctions, Oct. 1957. The Jeep was manufactured in January 1945.

On the rear bumper on a white background above the REME tac. sign were the letters No.1 BASE WKSPand on the other bumper the sign for southern command. John

jeep 1.jpg

I found this Ford jeep in 1999, Wally Duggan sent me the following info.Jeep chassis no.248159, post war no. 53 YH 35, WWII no.M5845220 sold at Bicester auctions, Oct. 1957. The Jeep was manufactured in January 1945.

On the rear bumper on a white background above the REME tac. sign were the letters No.1 BASE WKSPand on the other bumper the sign for southern command. John

John,

I think No.1 Base Wksps was Tripoli in the 1950's.

cheers Richard