Tank transporter for the cromwell

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have put some thought to loading the tank and i've always managed fine with someone to guide me on but to try to do it alone would be tricky. if it had to be done then i could modify the trailer so the tracks would run in a channel which was one of my thoughts on buying a skelly trailer and converting it, as you would end up with a purpose built cromwell trailer. the down side of that being the trailer would be almost useless for any other kind of load and it is that reason alone that steers me toward a standard low loader trailer but then you end up back where you started with regard to always needing a guide. maybe like paul says a big winch is essential.

Using a transit would be an idea, similar to how the aircraft line up for the terminal

the foden arrived at the yard this morning but didn't get much chance to look round it as had some building work to finish today, although i did notice one strange thing and that is the manufacturers plate on the chassis states the vehicle can go up to 65 ton at 40mph but the paperwork in the cab says 44 ton with a design weight of 55 ton. why does it have 2 of what i assume to be special types weight categories IMG_20160528_202243.jpg

IMG_20160528_201826.jpg

IMG_20160528_201848.jpg

IMG_20160528_201930.jpg

The vehicle manufacturer's plate on the chassis shows the maximum design weight which would be allowable under an STGO. The paperwork in the cab shows the weight the truck is plated for ie 44 tonnes with a 3 axle trailer which is the maximum GVW allowable in the UK apart from vehicles which are operating under an STGO. All heavy trucks have a design weight greater than the maximum allowable legal weight which gives a safety margin but also allows the truck to be uprated if the maximum legal weight for the class of vehicle is increased. The only plate you need to worry about is the one in the cab which will be checked when the vehicle goes for it's annual test.I think you said the Cromwell weighs 28 tons which leaves you a margin of slightly less than 16 tonnes for the tractor unit and trailer. You will also need to make sure that your axle weights when loaded comply with the maximum weights shown on the plate in the cab, a moveable fifth wheel is useful in this respect. Hope this helps you a bit Rick

thanks that's what i was thinking. all i've got to do now is remember how to drive one. i passed my test in the army 26 years ago and haven't driven hgv1 since. my first outing will be fully loaded with a 3m wide tank on the back.

zero to hero :D

Don't forget the no 1 rule when loading a low loader from the rear, apply the trailer brakes with the air switch or by pulling the red air line. With a few exceptions (DAF for instance) the unit parking brake does not apply the trailer brakes, the weight transfer as you go up the ramps takes most of the weight off the braked unit rear axles and the usual result is a jackknifed combination or worse.

At 2.9 meters wide you will not have to test the King trailer.

A trailer with axles right at the back needs more space when cornering if you have a tight yard to get in and out of my not be ideal.

un hooking unit and de folding neck is a pain compared to rear ramps and extra manitance but if cheap could put up with it!

thanks for all the help guys, like adrian said i want to be able to move other loads around as well and room is pretty tight in the yard so i'd struggle to get a long trailer in without knocking a few walls down.

i just missed out on a nice trailer on ebay that went for £5300. i'll keep looking.

cheers

rick

the foden arrived at the yard this morning but didn't get much chance to look round it as had some building work to finish today, although i did notice one strange thing and that is the manufacturers plate on the chassis states the vehicle can go up to 65 ton at 40mph but the paperwork in the cab says 44 ton with a design weight of 55 ton. why does it have 2 of what i assume to be special types weight categories [ATTACH=CONFIG]115515[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115516[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115518[/ATTACH]

Rick if that chip in the windscreen is in the line of vision you will have to get it replaced before it goes for test

hi first one would be my choice out of the 3 it has outriggers and if Google is correct a Cromwell at 2.9 meters wide that would be useful, side shift ramps for the same reason and has a electric winch.

from the pics I see no hydraulic connections on the trailer so if it is a electric hydraulic pump for ramps means no adding a pto wet pack to unit plus any unit can be used just need Anderson plugged lead and crocodile clips on other end.

do not like tie downs on top of side channels tracks would be on top of some of them I would cut off needs a bit of work can see hub cover off on one axle.

middle trailer has manual ramps only go to width of trailer [2.55 meters] will be a heavy trailer being a extender nice it has stgo rating think will need wet pack for winch.

last one don't go there looks as though it is a converted step frame trailer will not be as strong on outer edges where tracks go as a proper step frame low loader.

if buying trailer with out riggers ask if they have the wood that goes between them or might be metal.

Rick if that chip in the windscreen is in the line of vision you will have to get it replaced before it goes for test

Check all tyres have the correct load rating to conform to the the more detailed VTG 7T plate cert too (photo of yours is the 6T cab plate). We've had failures on nearly new vehicles nationally, though touch wood not my depot, because of incorrect load ratings.

If the 7 plate didn't come with the truck you can order it here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507502/replacement-hgv-plating-and-testing-documents-application-form-vt59.pdf

we send all our trucks for a voluntary loaded brake test (test centres usually have a loaded test trailer) at £10 per axle and headlamp beam set £10 as these tend to be common failure areas, only a few DVSA testers will let you correct the beam on the test itself if you don't go for the voluntary before hand.

HGV inspection manual https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hgv-inspection-manual

cheers john that's a clever solution.

been working on the foden this weekend and came across a bit of a problem, it had a fuel leak at the top of the injection pump and on closer inspection one of the plunger sleeves had cracked right across the top. i removed it and welded the crack but the heat from the weld melted an o ring and now it leaks froma different spot :( so i now need another plunger sleeve assembly. does anyone have any ideas where i can get one. cheers