Tank transporter for the cromwell

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick , my five penneth for what it's worth chap !

There are a lot of worn out trailers out there , so beware, a cheap trailer may cost more than you plan to put through a test , if you buy one untested.

You will also see plenty of cheap step frames converted to beaver tail, the raves and chassis rails on these are much lighter so won't poke up with lots of heavy use.( fine for tractor or commercial boys)

early trailers either step frame or well type can still be found on 1000 x15 tubed wheels , best steer clear of these as on warm summer days any length of time at speed over 35 to 40 mph equals a pop !! Try to find one on tubeless , much better and easily available.

Private HGV tax £160 , unit and trailer insurance from Walker Midgley £230 ish from memory

Remember ERF stands for 'everything running fine ' so keep it British !!

all good stuff fella's

so a foden or erf with a low loader trailer (tested) is the way to go. trouble is i still like the idea of a glitzy renault with all mod cons, might even get some fancy looking lights on it :)

anyway seems like i will have to get some pennies together before the show season starts.

rick

ps. i know this is wrong and i should be flogged for having impure thoughts but the oshkosh would make a hell of a rig :D

So what "mod cons" does a Renault have then?

I must say I have been mighty tempted to have a Renault Magnum with a Mack V8 for hauling my old Mack. Plus Brooky is right, Rolls horses are unlike any other horses (decent Scammell Crusaders are unbeatable on gradients).

I think I will stick with the ERF for my job (GRP cabs have much to commend them) but for the purposes of this exercise then anything of the right spec at the right price with the longest test and needing the least TLC is the way forward - definitely one where the head needs to rule the heart - you already have the heart related item loaded on the back!

all good stuff fella's

so a foden or erf with a low loader trailer (tested) is the way to go. trouble is i still like the idea of a glitzy renault with all mod cons, might even get some fancy looking lights on it :)

anyway seems like i will have to get some pennies together before the show season starts.

rick

ps. i know this is wrong and i should be flogged for having impure thoughts but the oshkosh would make a hell of a rig :D

Hi Rick, I have a 1978 Tasker tandem axle lowloader for sale if you are interested. Tested until the end of October, tubeless tyres all over 50% tread, very good floor renewed two years ago, gross weight 28800kg. Has a donkey engine for the hydraulics or can be powered off the unit. Looking for £3900. Give me a shout on 07771343732 if interested. Steve.

DSCN2416.jpg

Hi Rick, I have a 1978 Tasker tandem axle lowloader for sale if you are interested. Tested until the end of October, tubeless tyres all over 50% tread, very good floor renewed two years ago, gross weight 28800kg. Has a donkey engine for the hydraulics or can be powered off the unit. Looking for £3900. Give me a shout on 07771343732 if interested. Steve.<br>

<br>

Steve, the Cromwell weighs circa 27 tons so a gross of 28.8 is not going to work.

Rick, if you are going to take it across show grounds you would be better off with a 6x4 tractor, 6x2s have very poor traction as the second axle will often only lift providing the max design weight on the drive axle will not be exceeded. Whatever you go for do the sums carefully as you are going to be close to 44 tons. As I understand, the width of the Cromwell is also right on the limit without needing notification so get the tape measure out.

The 27 tons is battle weight, Rick's will be nearer 24 but even then it's unlikely you would be within gross weight on that trailer. Cromwell is well over width for notification making it an STGO load anyway with all that entails.

I disagree, providing the weight comes within C&U regs a max width of 2.9m is OK which is very close to what a Cromwell is. See second sketch here:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120214192454/http:/www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/drivingforwork/largeorheavyloads/guidance/policeailloadwidthdiagram.pdf

Either way it is up to Rick to make sure he is within the current law and I suggest we leave it at that to save upsetting the mods.

A Cromwell is over 3M wide so not sure what there is to disagree about. Whilst you can carry 24 tons within 44 ton gross, how many low loaders can do that?

If you can get it within 44 tons and if it will fit on a 2.55M wide trailer then yes, it will not be STGO. It will need 2 days notification though as it is over width.

the cromwell is exactly 3m from the outside of the side skirts so it's kind of ok :D

for a tank it's not a bad load when compared to a cent or chieftain, just got to get a tractor/trailer that can take a 24 ton load and be under 44ton gtw. maybe i've come full circle back to the skelly trailer idea !

rick

steve thanks for the offer but it won't take the cromwell

"Indivisible loads which are abnormal only in respect of their dimensions and not their weight may be able to be carried on standard vehicles subject to the construction and use regulations" - ie not subject to STGO (you will see any number of non STGO trucks carrying for instance residential caravans) http://www.transportsfriend.org/abnormal/abnormal.html

You are quite lucky with a tank in that the load is reasonably evenly spread, and most modern artic combinations will manage a 24t payload. The other advantage is that there are no point loadings so a reasonably built trailer will bear the weight reasonably well along its length although it will be worth blocking the tail of the trailer as at some point in loading/unloading all 24 tons are going to be concentrated in a relatively small area.

I am surprised that no one has suggested a DROPs.. (just a joke folks.....)

my plan with the skelly was to drop the outriggers down to the bottom of the chassis rail which would make the tank sit lower then weld a channel section onto each side (although it would still sit ok wthout them). i'd also thought about supporting the weight between the belly of the tank and the top of the chassis rails.

another advantage of having a tank is they are agile and can go where other loads can't, infact it can pretty much go on any trailer if you get a big enough run up at it :D

A Cromwell is over 3M wide so not sure what there is to disagree about. Whilst you can carry 24 tons within 44 ton gross, how many low loaders can do that?

If you can get it within 44 tons and if it will fit on a 2.55M wide trailer then yes, it will not be STGO. It will need 2 days notification though as it is over width.

Seeing as you asked, quite easily, a suitable tri axle trailer from King weighs only 8.5 tons, say 9 tons max with outrigger boards. http://www.kingtrailers.co.uk/dynamic_files/GTS44-3%20Issue%202%20290514(2).pdf A modern 6x2 tractor would be 8.5tons while a S26 6x4 with heavy 14 litre Cummins but less 5th wheel and rear mudguards is also 8.5tons.

I did say that Rick would have to get the tape measure out as several online sites have the Cromwell at <3m.