New project - Mk 1 Knocker 6x6

Another lost weekend!! No idea how I did it - but Friday night I managed to catch some sort of bug of the kind that involves throwing up for about quarter of an hour. By the time it had passed I had managed to severely wrench my right thumb leaving my fight hand useless and in considerable pain :(:(

Its now the early hours of Sunday morning and it's just starting to become useable again - now way can I climb up in the cab let alone grip anything. This thing with lost weekends is really starting to pee me off :(:(

You do seem to have been the wars lately, what with falling off the ladder first, now damaged thumb. It's all conspiring against you, been a good day today too, weather wise, could have got a lot done.

Get well soon an' all that

BTW. Did you get the genny going?

You do seem to have been the wars lately, what with falling off the ladder first, now damaged thumb. It's all conspiring against you, been a good day today too, weather wise, could have got a lot done.

Get well soon an' all that

BTW. Did you get the genny going?

Still no joy with the genny - so tomorrow I am going to try a new spark plug as it's been suggested the OEM plugs are, basically, crap. :) Hopefully that will sort it.

I'm kind of stuffed at the moment days wise as i only get Saturdays (when no one else has decided to go out) - one of our dogs is 15 and has failing kidneys so the vet has fitted a Foley catheter and he has to be drained by syringe ever 3 hours or so. The OH always goes out for 3 or 4 hours on a Sunday and I can never guarantee the daughter Mk 1 will be home so I have to be here to do the deed. So Sunday becomes another Landie/UAZ day. Sooo frustrating with all that I want to get done on the Militant!!

Made the most of the good weather today though - got the 24v heater blower bolted into the FFR landie and the heater matrix then the air inlet to the matrix reshaped sufficiently to get the connecting ducting on to it. However - Muprhys law then engaged full bore and I am finding it impossible to get the ducting over the outlet from the fan - its under the wing and to say space is tight would be an understatement. Got a nasty feeling I am going to have to unbolt the blower again and fit the duct to it then go through the struggle of getting the holes to line up up again :)

On the positive side I have 3 keyed alike Squire 220's on order from Squire to replace the badly corroded one on the vehicle which need to be cut off and they should be here by next weekend. Also an airline so if it fits the adapter on the Militant I can get the front tyre back up to pressure. :)

Quick quetion - the passenger door - is there an internal lock on the door handle? Everything I've tried will not open the door and as there is a key lock on the drivers door it seems logical there must be a way of securing the passenger one - but I am damned if I can remember if there is and if so - how it works!!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles

On the passenger door catch mechanism, is there a little catch/lever thingy on it, accessible from inside the cab? Was it on old Minis that I saw something like that?

Alternatively, maybe the hinges have rusted solid?

trevor

Hopefully nothing will stop me getting over there this Saturday and I can have a closer look.

Another parts delivery today - a small thing but important in the scale of things - a set of 3 keyed alike Squire 220's to replace the ones on the vehicle that have rusted solid. :)

20160606_151931_zpsnvaubbws.jpg

Once I get the genny running i can use the 4" grinder to slice the old ones off.

On the passenger door catch mechanism, is there a little catch/lever thingy on it, accessible from inside the cab? Was it on old Minis that I saw something like that?

Alternatively, maybe the hinges have rusted solid?

trevor

On my wrecker there is a sliding bolt on the passenger door, the same on the rusty one so I think they are standard.

I thought it had been bought in a hardware store...

I can feel your frustration, so good luck on Saturday.

Iain

Hopefully nothing will stop me getting over there this Saturday and I can have a closer look.

Another parts delivery today - a small thing but important in the scale of things - a set of 3 keyed alike Squire 220's to replace the ones on the vehicle that have rusted solid. :)

20160606_151931_zpsnvaubbws.jpg

Once I get the genny running i can use the 4" grinder to slice the old ones off.

I need these too!

Mine too

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115929[/ATTACH]

I need these too!

Many thanks kind sir - I will have a closer look at the inside of the passenger door on Saturday. I will also take a brush with me in case the genny decides to refuse to work again as that side is a mess of spider webs. :wow:

I got the padlocks from the manufacturers - actually cheaper than getting them from evilbay and you can order keyed alike rather than having to work through a batch of keys to find the right one. Their website is:

http://www.squirepadlocks.co.uk/squire-padlocks/old-english-padlocks.html

Didn't include the two on the Jerry can holder either!

Oh dear!! :) I just have the three - tool locker, jerry can stowage and oil can stowage. So much simpler with a Mk 1 GS :)

Good news today - I FINALLY got the generator to work!!! :-) So all is good for tomorrow :-) Rangie is loaded up read to go - jet wash, hose reel, vacuum cleaner, angle grinder, mole grips, step ladder, hose reel. Might throw in a small compressor too if it can reach 60 PS!.

Just learnt the rest of the gang are away all weekend at a show so it be solo working again. Some of the jobs I wanted to look at - such as the spare wheel mechanism and the engine cut-off will have to be shelved as a second pair of hands are needed for them. Might have a chance to get the tail gate down and have a look inside the accommodation if I'm lucky but priority will be to:

• Cut the old padlocks off, so that the lockers can be opened, derusted and painted internally before kit is put in them (must get another jerry can at W&P.
  • Get the vacuum cleaner working in the cab so that I am not crawling through a nest of spiders webs every time I want to do something.
  • Get some air in that O/S front tyre
  • Get the outside pressure washed off if possible (depends on whether or not the genny is up to the job - and whether or not the hose will reach from the nearest tap - fingers crossed.)

So hopefully a busy day - and will have to take a flask of coffee too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So - I got back over to the old girl today. and had a mixed day as regards success. First op was to get the genny running which took a few minute for some odd reason - yesterday it was firing first pull of the cord. Oh well.. the vagaries of modern stuff!!!

Once it was chugging away happily I broke out the extension reel and the angle grinder plus a pair of mole grips. I uses the mole grips to hold the padlocks for safety reasons and the cut through the hasps. Well - one of them got cut - the other two actually vibrated open so I was lucky there. :) Fitted the new padlocks so that is all sorted for the future. Not much of a job I know but it is a little step on the road of progress.

20160611_133817_zps5ctr8kg0.jpg

20160611_133805_zpsbnhlxcky.jpg

20160611_120852_zpsjgtqzhez.jpg

Next I broke out the vacuum cleaner and went to town in the cab. Took about half and hour to get all the visible webs removed with a combination of the vac and a dusting brush. Once the cab was done I cleaned off the wheels and anywhere else I could find webs before returning the vac to the back of the car. Whilst the genny was running I thought the next good step would be to get some air in the front tyre. I have a small portable mains compressor that is capable of dealing with the TP's of the the militant so I set it up, switched it on and connected the inflater to the valve. At first all was well then things went pear shaped. The compressor suddenly cut out leading to a frantic disconnection of the inflater so as not to get the tyre any flatter. No matter what I did it would not restart so I plugged the grinder in and tested that - same thing, no response so something had blown in the genny. Looking at it I saw the AC breaker had tripped. Rest it, tried again and it went again sp I think the compressor is drawing more than the genny can supply. In which case I am deep ****e as it certainly won't cope with the demands of the Karcher unit. Luckily - or not - I had forgotten to pick the hose reel up this morning so I could not have washed her down if I wanted to. I need to do something about this though as the nearest power point is way too far away to be of any use.

Anyways - I put the compressor away and wet back to the cab. I had a close look at the passenger door and there is no bolt fitted to it. Obviously there was at one point as the female half is still fitted to the cab by the door frame but there is nothing on the door inner. The latch is definitely releasing so I tried to open the door again but it would not have it at all Apart from laying on the engine deck and kicking the passenger door hard I see no other way of getting it to open. Just to make sure I took the steps around and gave both hinges a good sousing in penetrating oil. The other thing that might be is that the door or the frame has ballooned with rust and it is that which is jamming it. We'll see when I go next time. Whilst on that side of the vehicle I used a club hammer to free off the spare wheel steady which was locked in the partially down position - there as about a 3" gap between it and the spare. This, too, was soaked in penetrating oil and WD40 so again next time we'll see if that has freed up enough to be able to get it moving proper up and down and the securing collar too.

Next I turned attention to the tyre inflater. I dug out the airline I had bought and tried connecting it up. Nah - it was NEVER going to be that easy was it?? :-) :-) See the video clip below :-)

So I need to get a replacement fitting for the inflater unit. I put the airline in the tool locker for now as I have to miss the next two weekend - off the Belgium to give a mate a hand rebuilding a Series Landie then attending Historia Mundi.

Whilst I was thinking about what to do next - I was planning on lashing the ladder to the tail get and climbing in the back to have a look in the accommodation unit -. I did notice the weeds were growing up through the front bumper so I jumped back in cranked her up and backed up 3 or 4 feet to get the front free of the undergrowth. As I climbed out the blue skies suddenly went black - which I did not like and by the time I had climbed down and shut the door the rain was falling in stair rods i got soaked walking the 18 odd fee from the front of the Militant to the Rangie. Once thing I did notice. As soon as I switched off I lost 10 psi on the air gauge in as many seconds. I really need to get that rear valve off and have a close look at it to see why it is leaking air so badly. The vehicles we had in 215 Sqdn kept air pressure for days.

The rain spelt the end of the day so I had to head back home again - back over again in two weeks (third Saturday from now). I need to sort out the power supply by then so I can give her a good blast inside and put and get some air in that front tyre.

Lessons learnt from today:

• Take a black sack for any rubbish found on bard and to empty the vac into.
  • Find something i can spray inside the cab to kill spiders.

All progress is good progress :-D I get the feeling air leaks & Militants go hand in glove. I've had two obvious leaks on mine fixed prior to going into bodyshop, it's improved the ability to hold the air but it won't hold all of it overnight. No current audible signs of a leak. My missus uses some fly & wasp killer spray to kill spiders, think it's from Aldi in a blue & red can.

All progress is good progress :-D I get the feeling air leaks & Militants go hand in glove. I've had two obvious leaks on mine fixed prior to going into bodyshop, it's improved the ability to hold the air but it won't hold all of it overnight. No current audible signs of a leak. My missus uses some fly & wasp killer spray to kill spiders, think it's from Aldi in a blue & red can.

Thanks for the tip on the spider killer - will investigate my local Aldi. 😊

My airleak appears to be the valve mounted on the chassis just after the rear most axle. When you shut the engine off so you can actually something other than the engine there is a VERY loud hiss coming from the area. Think it will be a case of take it off and investigate/clean. 😊

Good luck with the spiders! I had to bug bomb the shed last year due to them constantly dropping down from the roof, it's due again!

If it's a relay valve that is sticking a gentle tap with a soft hammer may get it moving but will most likely need an overhaul. I have had two that played up constantly but reset with a tap, eventually I stripped them down and had to replace the springs that had corroded. I could do with a few overhaul kits for them, if they are still available.

Iain

Good luck with the spiders! I had to bug bomb the shed last year due to them constantly dropping down from the roof, it's due again!

If it's a relay valve that is sticking a gentle tap with a soft hammer may get it moving but will most likely need an overhaul. I have had two that played up constantly but reset with a tap, eventually I stripped them down and had to replace the springs that had corroded. I could do with a few overhaul kits for them, if they are still available.

Iain

PM sent.

If by third Saturday from today you mean the 2nd July we, (son and Self plus timber tractor) will be going past Sible on the way to the Long Melford Show. Would love to drop in and say Boo, take a few pictures etc. we bring our own tea and biscuits as well.

Yep - July 2nd. Look forwards to seeing you there. PM'd you directions.

• 2 weeks later...