VCR act, can someone briefly explain?

MiketheBike

Tony, I don't think painting my WIFE orange will make her less of threat...in fact it would make it angry and more of a threat!

On a serious note though, I can see that laboisselle is playing devils advocate with stating (probably) the worst case scenario, but it's all about mitigating the risk of falling foul of the law and although it's pretty obvious we do not wish to break it intentionally we need to make sure we stay within it?

mick

Trouble is Mick the average Plod gets about half an hour on the Firearms and VCR and the 'Guidelines' are react first and worry later. If you check an early post I was attacked in my home last year. The Police were more interested in siezing my perfectly marked and FULLY LEGAL Bren and Sten gun. F^^&** all on the assailants, and about six weeks of hassle to get my de-Acs back. When your in hospital after an attack and thing only thing the DC sent to interview you is intrested in is your De Acs, it does make you wonder about our legal system.

On a serious note though, I can see that laboisselle is playing devils advocate with stating (probably) the worst case scenario, but it's all about mitigating the risk of falling foul of the law and although it's pretty obvious we do not wish to break it intentionally we need to make sure we stay within it?

mick

TBH I'm not trying to state the 'worst case' here at all. Just trying to inject a little clarity and to help you, as the original questioner, understand what your position in law might be. I know some folk don't want to hear this stuff - or prefer to believe an interpretation of the law which better suits their own views/actions - but that's their risk. And coming on to a public forum and potentially incriminating yourself is probably not the best advised course of action!

Remember, the risk is considerable. This is not just 'slap on the wrist and we confiscate your RIF' territory!

The law is actually pretty clear. If folk choose to be 'wilfully ignorant', that's up to them. But it won't avail them in court if they do get pulled up by the authorities and may, in fact, serve to make their situation worse.

Certainly mitigation of risk is important. But that requires a demonstrably intelligent, engaged, thoughtful approach. The Act sets out what your defences are.

My (unprofessional and at your own risk) suggestion would be that if you are a private individual and intend to mount, or have already mounted, a RIF in or on your MV then you should join a recognised and respected historical reenactment group that holds PLI and is relevant to the age of your vehicle. And it would be advisable for you to actually use your MV in some kind of reenactment and to have proof of having done so. Then I think you would have a decent defence.

The fact that your RIF is an imitation of a weapon that might have to be crew-served is NOT a defence!

Edited by laboisselle

Ouch! Getting a little bit heated on this topic I feel! However, it IS indeed a 'Sensitive' Subject!

So......Let's just lighten the mood a bit, OK? :laugh:

At one time a few years back. I was in Conversation with the Dictator. Idi Armin.

I asked Him what his policy was on Defence?

He informed Me, 'Da Man is commin in De Mornin', to fix De-Fence'....................Ill Get Me coat!.....:blush:

The rules were more than adequate BEFORE Paris and they are now, all this latest panic and uncertainty has arisen because of the ever powerful EU, who think that making more laws actually affects the lawless. I have certificates for my deacs that declare them legal, I am NOT a terrorist and if I was I would think of a far safer way to do it than resurrect a UK deactivated EX weapon. The VCR act has its flaws but it has continued unhindered until the EU decided the biggest threat to humanity was a middle aged ex squaddie who likes collecting deactivated weaponry from the past. Does anyone with an IQ of more than 5 expect any of this recent idiocy to stop a terrorist ? The latest EU proposals threaten our hobby make no doubts about it, we need to ALL show our objection to them, and at this volatile time behave ourselves and do our best to show we are not the enemy here, we are the persecuted. I am voting OUT I hope many of you do because IN it will only get worse.

Ouch! Getting a little bit heated on this topic I feel! However, it IS indeed a 'Sensitive' Subject

Heated? If so, not intentionally on my part. Just trying to help. The question is a perfectly valid one and deserves a considered response, I think.

That's what I've tried to give.

I think all the responses have been fair no matter which side of the argument the poster is situated.

Laboisselle makes very valid points from his side of the discussion, so do others coming from the other direction.

The real issue is the legislation has become far too complex - so much so I am not even sure those who formulated it really understand it beyond the "look - we've tackled gun crime" posturing. And now the EU is trying to make things worse still - replacing the 28 page UK deactivation standards that are proven fit for use with 10 pages of ill thought out garbage. Who knows where it will end??

• 3 years later...
On 12/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, Graham de wey peters said:

How will leaving the EU affect the VCR Act and the EU deactivated spec ? 

No change in the short term. The former wasn’t EU derived and the latter has been transferred into UK law. It is possible the latter may get revised into something more sensible post-Brexit, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.