defiant1uk

Hi All,

Just a brief note to keep you up to date on the developments around our 2nd First World War centenary event. 13-15th May 2016 in North Staffordshire.

As we are counting down the days (worryingly less than 70 now!), the event website (www.ww1-event.org) is being updated regularly with news about the event.

The event team will be pleased to make contact with anyone else who is interested to participate in the event with other vehicles and exhibits.

Many thanks!

Edited by defiant1uk
Change of vehicles

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news

We are pleased to confirm that the Tracks to the Trenches event (& the site) has received a great boost thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). This money will be used to develop the Trust’s interpretation of the role of the horse with both civilian industrial railways and in delivering supplies to the front lines during the First World War - from cavalry through to GS wagons.

thumbs_cavalry2014.JPG

Thanks to National Lottery players, the Trust will now be able to fulfil two key objectives. Firstly, it will enhance the displays which will be available to the public at the forthcoming Tracks to the Trenches 2016 event at the Trust’s Apedale Valley Light Railway site. During this event, a small part of Staffordshire is transformed into the Western Front in 1916 – including a replica trench for visitors to experience. The event will include displays of working horses, pack animals and horse-drawn vehicles. This event takes place on May 13, 14 and 15 2016, and further details can be obtained from this website.

Further info on www.ww1-event.org

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

The Tracks to the Trenches event is shaping up well and we have recently been able to add the WD Foden Steam lorry (kindly provided by Mike Wilkinson, Edward Atkinson and Graham Townsend), the GS Wagon and horses from Deepcut Barracks and a fully restored WW1 Field gun on its first outing - plus much more!

Unfortunately, both Steve Gosling's Dennis lorry and the Lest we Forget replica tank have had to withdraw for different technical reasons.

With many and various new/visiting WW1 locomotives and pieces of rolling stock, it promises to be another memorable weekend! Did we mention? - it is this coming weekend!!

Please keep watching www.ww1-event.org for more details.

Edited by defiant1uk
typo

Afternoon everybody,

We called in to the Tracks to the Trenches event yesterday and found a great selection of engines, rolling stock and many other WW1 items to see,

Tracks%20and%20Trenches%20002_zps39bfanz6.jpg

we had a wonderful reception and were parked up next to a RR armoured car replica,

Tracks%20and%20Trenches%20011_zpsz7zy6jdw.jpg

Tracks%20and%20Trenches%20014_zps0sseakdp.jpg

This is a great event, you can get up close and see another side to WW1, it wasn't just shooting that was done !

Andy

We, Mrs Grundy, and me went to the show today and found it extremely interesting. There was a re-enactor badged as a 16th Lancer who gave a splendid talk on the horse, kit and weapons. The replica Rolls Royce Armoured Car was from Eaton Hall (Duke of Westminster) and was a Springfield USA built 40/50 a bit obvious as a left hand drive, but was a good. Some of the soldier re-enactors were spot on, note the word 'some' as others were badly uniformed, scruffy (not battle scruffy) and just too old. However it was a good show with lovely weather.

The only fault was before we got in. A friend took his elderly disabled mother a former Land Girl in a motor home complete with Blue badge and was directed down a concrete road for 150/200yds. She had to stay in the vehicle where she had facilities. Her son upon leaving the display area at c.1300 saw all along the steep approach road motor cars and vans that were not there earlier. While credit must go to the organisers of the show proper, the marshals at the vehicular entrance need retraining in there duties.

Edited by Bob Grundy
Brain malfunction

The replica Rolls Royce Armoured Car was from Eaton Hall (Duke of Devonshire)[/size]

Surely this is the seat of His Grace the Duke of Westminster. Whose forebears in earlier times graciously donated money to the splendidly named Royal Albert Asylum for Idiots and Imbeciles of the Northern Counties, Lancaster.

Edited by Whittingham warrior

Many thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding the car parking: this is always a headache for any event organiser. Unfortunately we had to invoke Plan B when the access to the main field carpark became dangerous.

Parking along the access road is a last resort.

Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone, but our carpark marshals have a very challenging and thankless task to do in stressful circumstances.

Cheers,

We, Mrs Grundy, and me went to the show today and found it extremely interesting. There was a re-enactor badged as a 16th Lancer who gave a splendid talk on the horse, kit and weapons. The replica Rolls Royce Armoured Car was from Eaton Hall (Duke of Devonshire) and was a Springfield USA built 40/50 a bit obvious as a left hand drive, but was a good. Some of the soldier re-enactors were spot on, note the word 'some' as others were badly uniformed, scruffy (not battle scruffy) and just too old. However it was a good show with lovely weather.

The only fault was before we got in. A friend took his elderly disabled mother a former Land Girl in a motor home complete with Blue badge and was directed down a concrete road for 150/200yds. She had to stay in the vehicle where she had facilities. Her son upon leaving the display area at c.1300 saw all along the steep approach road motor cars and vans that were not there earlier. While credit must go to the organisers of the show proper, the marshals at the vehicular entrance need retraining in there duties.

Just two questions, nothing else, was there provision at the event for disabled parking ? If so, were parking marshals briefed regarding this ?

It did not affect me as I had an enjoyable time but I was the chap who recommended the event to my friend.

Just two questions, nothing else, was there provision at the event for disabled parking ? If so, were parking marshals briefed regarding this ?

It did not affect me as I had an enjoyable time but I was the chap who recommended the event to my friend.

Hi Bob - yes, there is disable parking right near the heritage Centre. The problem is that this car park is shared with the country park. We can't stop locals who are not visiting the event parking there. I suspect when your friends visited these car parks were full. Our marshals are briefed to prioritise disable vehicles when they see them/are told - although we appreciate that it may not seem like it when we have to invoke contingency plans though.

cheers