HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY To my Albion Chassis No. 361A

lynx42 Rick Cove

“HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY.

I almost missed this very important occasion, the 100th birthday of my 1916 Albion A10 chassis number 361A.

IMG_4987ag.jpg

Well actually I had missed it as it was to be delivered in the middle of February 1916 so I waited to the last day, the 29th February 2016 just to be sure as I do not know the exact date of delivery.

These are copies of the original build sheet which I obtained from the Albion Archives in Biggar Scotland in 2009 which have the date the chassis was laid down as the 6th December 1915 for delivery the middle of February 1916.

IMG_4886a.jpg

IMG_4889a.jpg

This is what I first saw way back in 1971 at the rear of A.W.Smith & Sons P/L Leongatha Vic. Aust. There was a large ship’s winch behind the driver’s seat for winching logs in the bush. This winch was driven from the final chain drive pinions on each side after the truck had been driven to the work site and the chains linked up to the winch. Bert Smith the owner wanted to keep the winch so that had to be removed first.

img058.jpg

img061.jpg

The chassis had a 3” sag in it between the front and back axles so the chassis had to be completely stripped down and straightened. This was achieved with the assistance of a track breaking press for bulldozers.

More to come

Regards Rick.

• Like 1

I brought it home on a tandem trailer behind my trusty 1956 ‘FJ’ Holden. That is something you could not do today, 3.75 tons behind a car weighing just over 1 ton. Petrol at Rosedale was 64cents a GALLON. ($0.14.2 cents a litre)

img062.jpg

The chassis stripped down for straightening and sand blasting. The tyres were pretty sad.

img063.jpg

The engine was seized and I left it for 6 months with the chassis jacked up on one of the flywheel bolts. Diesel was pored into the cylinders each week and one day the chassis was sitting back level as the seized engine had turned over.

img076.jpg

img074.jpg

More to come

The Albion engine has a dry sump system invented by Thomas Blackwood-Murray the founder of Albion. The oil goes to the 5 main bearings and the 4 cylinders. It then drips off the main bearings and collects in slinger rings which sling it into the big end bearings after which it is thrown all around the engine. The oil should be run off at the end of each day according to the brass plate seem above the exhaust manifold.

img065.jpg

The crankshaft was in excellent condition but missing the governor. I found one as well as the magneto cut out switch in Toowoomba QLD.

img064.jpg

The clutch plate was beyond repair as the lining rivets had ground well into the plate. The Albion has the linings on the flywheel face and the spring plate with a spinning disc plate, the opposite to todays practice. Where do you get a new clutch plate these days? Well, you cut one out of a circular saw blade which, I might add, are extremely tough but designed to carry heat without distortion. It is a lovely clutch to use.

img067.jpg

No.2 piston came out in 3 bits, so it was a case of welding it back together and hand filing down.

img066.jpg

More to come.

• Like 1

I took the restored chassis back to where it came from. A W Smith and Sons Leongatha. To show old Bert and his brother Clarrie who was the last person to drive her.

img068.jpg

I the commenced the building of the body using the body builders blueprints I received from the Albion company in 1971.

img069.jpg

img070.jpg

img071.jpg

• Like 1

In 1983 the Albion was used in the first big Australian TV production, a 10 hour story called “The ANZACS” here she is on set in a ‘French village’. And also with a 1916 Talbot ambulance for company on site.

img075.jpg

img072.jpg

A vintage lane in England? No our driveway a few years ago.

img073.jpg

So where is she today, On loan to the Bandiana Military Museum where it has been for a number of years. She was on display at the Australian War Memorial for 3 ½ years before going to Bandiana.

We often get her out for a run and will see her for a belated birthday drink in a couple of weeks.

“HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY - 361A”

Rick and Jill.

IMG_4692.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations!

What an honor to have such a milestone vehicle in your possession. It appears you have done your duty in maintaining it at the level of care such a milestone deserves and shared it with others so the history isn't lost. A big HMV salute to you, sir!

Hi Rick and all,

Well done for the 100th celebrations, it is a great feeling to have a vehicle that has got to such an amazing milestone, I have also been lucky enough to have a vehicle with this milestone, my 1913 Chalmers car is now regularly sprinted and hillclimbed and is a lot of fun.

nothing like the job you have had with the Albion,

Chalmers%20013_zps9lx2y072.jpg

at the start line of the famous Shelsley Walsh hill at 101,

ShelsleyWalsh2014037_zps1b99ad4f.jpg

I have a 9 year wait for the 100th birthday of my 1925 Napier Lion engine,

StowMaries2014008_zps13d00f61.jpg

More 100th's please.

Andy

Well done Rick in restoring the Albion and allowing it to survive through to see it's own centenary. The choice of the date 29th February is interesting. being a leap year. A Google search notes 1916 was also a leap year, so the truck has had only 25 birthdays ( if it was delivered on 29th and again Google tells me it was a Tuesday).

Latter this year we plan to have a celebration for the 1916 Leyland truck. First option is to get it mobile for an event, then complete the body work latter. We have no exact date when it left the factory although the chassis number does match an order allocated for the War Dept. It was then most probably allocated to the Royal Flying Corps.

Other vehicles here have passed by their centenary, their day of celebration can wait to they are restored.

well done Rick

One recent/soon 100th (tested 27th January, delivered April 6th) is Jezebel, the 1916 Dennis which has infected quite a number of impressionable young students with the "bug" over the years.

https://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/rcsmotor/

We had a 100th birthday party for the steamer last year.

Basically we took it, and 6 others to the local pub (in Norton in Hales) and had a splendid day. Even had a cake.

I have a copy of the ledger from the selling agent giving the date.

008_1454.jpg

008_1455.jpg

Hi 8-10 and all,

The photo of the engines at Norton in Hales is wonderful, amazing really, I live 4 miles away from the Hinds Head !

003_zpsfulrf3bs.jpg

Thanks 11th for your interest, you can find a bit more on the Chalmers in it's recent history here,

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/213843-1913-36-model-17-in-the-uk/

Andy

Edited by racer

Hi 8-10 and all,

The photo of the engines at Norton in Hales is wonderful, amazing really, I live 4 miles away from the Hinds Head !

003_zpsfulrf3bs.jpg

Thanks 11th for your interest, you can find a bit more on the Chalmers in it's recent history here,

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/213843-1913-36-model-17-in-the-uk/

Andy

We have met at Mill Meece. You had the Lion there.

My engine is currently about 1/2 mile from where your picture was taken. I buy my lunch from the shop when im up at the shed working on it.

Sadly the engine will be moving away after 6 years a week on Saturday. Off to a new shed in Great Bolas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your kind words, Jill, my spanner hander and No.1 girl found this letter which I had misplaced years ago. It has more of the Albion's history from an old bloke I met years ago. Michael K. died 15 years or so ago so I am glad the letter was put away safely. Thanks Jill.

You can see the winch in the as found photos in post 1. The right rear of the chassis had the right rail pushed across towards the left chassis rail and I had to replace the rear cross member as well as straighten the chassis and get the sag out as well.

Regards Rick.

img088a.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Rick, I have tried to send a private message 4 or 5 times but for some reason it wont go through, I have just bought a collection of A10 parts with one chassis and engine having the numbers 1979.F on them, the albion club reckon its a WD model but have no records of this particular chassis, anyway there is almost 2 or 3 of everything with the exception of no radiator at all and only one gutted carburettor, I think this is why the owner gave up on this as he had picked up the parts almost 40 odd yrs ago, wondering if you can help? I've also spoken to phil in parkes nsw, so hoping he may be able to help too, anyway doesn't hurt to ask! thanks mike.

IMG0422A.jpg

IMG0376A.jpg

IMG0382A.jpg

IMG0425A.jpg

I brought it home on a tandem trailer behind my trusty 1956 ‘FJ’ Holden. That is something you could not do today, 3.75 tons behind a car weighing just over 1 ton. Petrol at Rosedale was 64cents a GALLON. ($0.14.2 cents a litre)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113210[/ATTACH]

The chassis stripped down for straightening and sand blasting. The tyres were pretty sad.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113211[/ATTACH]

The engine was seized and I left it for 6 months with the chassis jacked up on one of the flywheel bolts. Diesel was pored into the cylinders each week and one day the chassis was sitting back level as the seized engine had turned over.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113208[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113209[/ATTACH]

More to come

fantastic!!

don't you just love it...

Hi Doug, yes you are quiet right, and I've still got to go back and pick up another chassis and a complete rear end!

on the plus side I've just located another transaxle/gearbox and the correct radiator, for a WD model, just a matter of negotiating a price ,hopefully? and I do have all the steel now for a decent sized shed, trouble is work keeps getting in the way of my hobby,

mike.

Hi Mike, Congratulations on the radiator find. Is it one like mine with the flueting and oval Albion badge or like the one on Mark Farrall's with the ALBION name cast into the top tank? Of course it won't matter if you are going to fit a muff cover as in this picture.

Regards Rick.

Photos are Marks, The Muff, and Mine.

photo4_zps8e68b45dd.jpg

img073.jpg

AlbionsA10.jpg