Bomb trolley

like it like it...........any idea of its date of manufacture , it looks like a WW2 pattern rather than a post war model .Any idea of what colour you are going to paint it?

I was informed that all RAF vehicles during WW2 were painted green wether that also covers bomb trolleys I`ve no idea?

like it like it...........any idea of its date of manufacture , it looks like a WW2 pattern rather than a post war model .Any idea of what colour you are going to paint it?

I was informed that all RAF vehicles during WW2 were painted green wether that also covers bomb trolleys I`ve no idea?

Not sure of manufacture date,im trying to findout who made them,looks like a C type trolley,theirs traces of RAF blue on it,it had been half burried in grass at a caravan park on lincs coast for sum years which has seized the towarm & swivel peice (now unseized),the swivel housings on the end of the axles are still seized but im working on it!! i cut some addon steel off it,steam cleaned it off then sprayed it with oil,im trying not to get too sidetracked with it at mo as i want to get my bowser chassis done 1st but i carnt resist doing little bits at it,i need to remake the tiebar to steer it as its long gone but i have a friend with a museum nr lincs whos got one on a trolley i can take measurements &copy &theirs the brakes missing but i doubt i would find any to go on it.

• 3 years later...

all colour photos on internet show early trolleys in raf blue grey about same as uniforms, e.g. waaf on tractor, later on olive green  got used.  I am seeing trolleys Type B and C mk 1 in the darkish blue grey like the uniforms, then a darkish green in colour photos on later models.

BOBC

I doubt olive green was used. Certainly at the outbreak of war everything was still in blue-grey, but very quickly the road vehicles were repainted in drab colours. The first "universal" regulations (as in, they applied to all of the RAF rather than those issued by commands to just their units) weren't until August 1941, but the change over had started much earlier.

As for ancillary items like bomb trolleys, one would assume that once their was no need to stock blue-grey for the vehicles, the trolleys would be painted using the same colours held for the tractors towing them. Initially that would be Khaki Green, No.3, or either of the colours used for the disruptive pattern on the vehicles - Tarmac Green, No.4 or Light Green, No.5. The RAF did eventually introduce Olive Drab in September 1944, but that was more a brown colour than a green colour, and nothing got repainted until it was necessary and bomb trolleys would have been down the list of priorities.

Having said all that, I can't recall having seen any colour pictures of bomb trolleys in blue-grey, although it's not something I've particularly searched for.   

What is an A type trolley, they started with Type B, that with the central T beam .

Bomb colour might be same as used on the disc on lanc head armour ? My RAF colour chip chart only has aircraft colours. I know someone with a WW2 colour chip set in original box and will ask them.

BOBC1940

57 minutes ago, BOBC1940 said:

What is an A type trolley, they started with Type B, that with the central T beam .

BOBC1940

Hi, I have a copy of an RAF Historical Society Journal that has a series of articles about RFC & RAF bomb development, and the Type A trolley is briefly mentioned therein, as follows:

Ancillary equipment
The introduction of bigger and heavier bombs sparked parallel developments in the context of ancillary equipment, such as the tractors and trolleys needed to transport them and the hoists that were needed in order to load them, all of which had to be done safely, of course.

Prior to 1942 the Type A bomb trolley was in general use, although its maximum load was a mere 500lb. By that time, however, two additional models had already been produced: the Type B, which was capable of carrying four 500 pounders, and the Type D, which was particularly associated with the Wellington, Lancaster and Halifax and could handle a 4,000 lb HC bomb. With the increase in size and weight of bombs the Type C trolley was introduced with a maximum load of 6,000 lbs and the Type F which could deal with 8,000 lbs. The design and construction of these various trolleys was pretty much the same and they could all be used to carry virtually any types of bombs, so long as their weight limits were not exceeded.

It's available online at: https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/default/raf-historical-society-journals.aspx (Journal 45, page 34 has the reference)

HTH,
Kevin