Centurion Tent

Starfire

Hi,

I've picked up what has been described as a Centurion crew tent, but have no idea how they are set up - it's a rather odd shape and only came with 3 short poles. It looks like it might be some sort of lean to.

Does anyone have any info on them and/or pictures of them set up?

Cheers,

Terry

I don't know for sure, so some would say I should shut up but here goes.

The AFV crew tents seem to be all cut from the same design cloth, in as much as they are a shed roof like design and the higher side gets tied off to the vehicle.

The lower side has the small poles and from near their top a guy rope extends out to ground level and a peg. That is what I am familiar with from the CVR(T) tent.

I think this thread may hold some info of value

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?39695-Chieftain-tank-crew-tent

Does that help?

Robin

If it's what we think it is, hold onto the shorter tent poles as they're the difficult to find bit!

I'm reliably informed that a lot of Cent crews used to simply sleep on the rear engine plates by throwing a canvas over the gun. Probably quite warm if the engine had been running a lot :) The practice stopped with Chieftain as it had "uncomfortable knobbly bits". (technical term)

It is marked (in marker) with 99-809-0414, which lead me to this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?33350-I-have-been-donated-an-canvas-tarp-for-a-Centurian-tank-by-a-retired-Colonel_Value

I gave it a good clean today (it was a bit mildewey and dirty) and will pick up some telescoping tent poles this week. Will see what I can do with it.

Cheers,

Terry