1942 G506, parts availability/restorability?

draganm

So I ran across this truck local to me and I'm toying with the idea of getting it and seeing if I can get it running. Assuming it needs everything, distributor cap, wires, carb. re-built, obviously tires, and possibly even an engine overhaul with new bearings and piston rings.

Not to mention all the other stuff like tires, axle and transfer case bearings, seals, etc.

What kind of cash outlay am I looking at

and how hard are the parts to find?

Are we talking a few Thousand dollars or $10K. Just talking mechanical here, not bodywork or cosmetics.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5441737902.html

Last but not least, I don't have a ranch style property. Is this truck small enough to fit in a typical 2 car garage? (too tall?)

Hi all There are generally better trucks on the market. I would part that one out. Newc

sure there are better ones but not for $750. OBO.

Only thing missing is drive-shafts, bed?, and non original gas tank. All the rubber is rotted away and seller is speculating that it ran last in the 60's. I mean in many ways it's like a time capsule, Seems like a shame to tear something like that apart no? :-|

You need to look at the parts that are specific to that truck. Things like the radiator grille, script engine side panels, running boards, and hydrovac.

If it has all those parts - restore it. If they are all missing = part it out.

You need to look at the parts that are specific to that truck. Things like the radiator grille, script engine side panels, running boards, and hydrovac.

If it has all those parts - restore it. If they are all missing = part it out.

well it's 3 hours away, and before I drive down there I will need to have a line on rims and tires. If I can't move it then no go, but I've got some inquiries out.

However I can see the grill looks original and the scripted engine panels are just visible. Running boards look to be part of the Fender?

What's a Hydrovac?

Running boards are the steps underneath the doors, and they are lighter pressed metal than the GMC equivalent - they are on there but bent.

Hydrovac is power brake booster, smaller than the one on the GMC. There are detail differences in the GMC hood and fenders too, but not enough to be obvious. Windscreen is the same, cab basically the same but floor different - that sort of thing.

Most G506 owners have two or more round the back of the garage for parts - not a bad plan.

Hydrovac is power brake booster.
I see what looks like a booster in these pics, the can on the left side ?

Also, can anyone verify the lug spacing is 6 on 7.25" bolt hole circle?

any comments welcomed but to me it looks like the engine compartment and cab are in "time capsule" condition, what'ya guys think? I bet that's the original oil-slinger 6

G506 cab.JPG

G506 instrument panel.JPG

G506 floor.JPG

G506 engine w air cleaner.JPG

G506 engine comprt with solenoid.JPG

G506 engine vac booster  817Kb.jpg

• 1 month later...

If it's an original engine buy it. You can sell the motor alone and most likely make some cash.

If its a 216 then rebuilding it is going to be spendy. If it a later 235 then $1500 will do. The later 235 has pressurized and insert bearings.. only the 216 is a babbit/dipper motor.