Tamber

It's here! (Bedford RL)

You seem a bit happier Only problem I found using the gas axe was the fire extingisher was not big enough.

9 minutes ago, john1950 said:

You seem a bit happier Only problem I found using the gas axe was the fire extingisher was not big enough.

I only had a little cutting torch, so I only needed a little fire extinguisher; that's how it works, right?xD I did my best to block any fire or molten metal reaching wiring (or rubber fuel line; that would have been exciting!) with a scrap piece of ally plate. Fire extinguisher was kept close to hand at all times, too.

I'm trying to keep my spirits up and keep going at it; as long as I'm still taking steps forward, even little ones, I'm still making progress. It's definitely helping that the days are getting longer, and the weather has stayed nice for a few days.

I heard my brother say once when I had the gas axe in my hand, Give him half an hour an we willl know if he is fixing it or scrapping it. I learnt the hard way to plan be there at least an hour after using it, Ideally be on site 4 hours after using a set of cutting gear fire watching, to make sure everything is O.K. I have found a smouldering rag nowhere near the work area Two hours later.

Edited by john1950
addition
  • Haha 1

Yep! Fire-watch is essential, and -- hopefully -- tedious. xD It's amazing how things can seemingly move around of their own accord and decide to settle down somewhere before smouldering.

It is like looking for the last item to finish a job.  "How on earth did that get over there"! Or words to that effect.

Edited by john1950
correction

Miniature update, just to note that I'm still here and still making tiny bits of progress! Been struggling a little for motivation recently, but I'm trying to keep pushing onwards on little things that I can see.

The list of bits:

• The gearbox oil was changed. A little thing, but it did need it. No signs of anything horrific in the old oil, which is good news. Next on the list for a fluid change is probably the transfer case.

• A little more brake pipe has appeared on the rear axle. Some blood was spilt in the process, but I've been informed that's actually for good luck. 😁
    DqxsQ8t.jpg

X45BvHc.jpg
    Yes, I am going to have to join those with M-M unions. I'm not quite good enough to do the whole run in one go, yet. It has quite a circuitous route to follow, and bending this diameter pipe without kinking it takes some practise. It's certainly easier with 3/16" pipe, for sure!

I have enough hard-line left to do only about 90% of the run from the rear flexible pipe, to the master cylinder, naturally. So I'll have to order another length, and use the existing material to plumb the fronts. (Especially considering my material loss rates! I'm getting better at not kinking it while just trying to adjust it that last little bit, though.)
    I also need to do some hunting around to find somewhere I can get to make up the flexible lines with the 1/2UNF ends, once I'm confident I have the right length worked out.

• Some cleaning and painting has happened. Not the most vital thing, but it needs doing, and it's a visible improvement that helps with the motivation.
    PnAnc7D.jpg
    with some elbow-grease, wire brushes, and sandpaper, became
    4GnyEQG.jpg

(I will be replicating the markings once it's painted proper.)

Moving forwards, I started knocking off the flaky paint and grime, with the intent of just priming up the areas that were at risk of showing bare metal.
    hRq25qs.jpg

Well, then I started getting a little carried away with the brush, since it looked so good!

nkr9tgi.jpg

It definitely shows up the areas that need serious attention, though. Which, in a way, is a good thing.
    yglyl84.jpg

The grille really was flaking quite badly, so since I was apparently painting the whole damn truck that day, I decided I'd just carry on with that. Big chunks of paint were coming off, right down to bare metal, so it really did need it to protect against the elements
    lotXTSm.jpg
    Wire brush in a drill, and a little scraping, cleared this quite well. It really didn't take much to dislodge those big flakes.
    9W80S47.jpg
    ...followed up by rust treatment. Kurust, in this case, which is my preferred rust converter. Then, when that dried off, a coat of red-oxide primer followed.
    QtuwsIS.jpg

Much better!

• I fitted a new beacon on the roof. It doesn't have quite the same look to it as the old Lucas one, but it has the advantage of working; and it'll do the job quite adequately, once I get it wired in. Fitting that also reminded me just how rough the roof is. Plenty of sheet metal work ahead of me yet, and I really do need to pick up the pace a little, I know.

• I've stripped the tyre inflater down, cleaned out a lot of grunge, and rebuilt it... and it still leaks air straight through from the output side. Need to dig back into it and see what I can do about that. Not sure whether it's just that the conical rubber portion of the valve is so hard with age that it's not sealing properly against the valve seat, or whether there's something I've missed about how it works.

So, unfortunately, it's the same old sad story of not having gotten a lot done. To add further insult, we've had glorious weather for nearly two weeks up here, and rather than spending that time working on the RL, I've been having to fix my car to get it to pass the MOT! (Corrosion and brake pipes, seems to be a bit of a running theme at the moment.)
Bah! 🙄