FWD to have new home

bobs1918

I just finalized my purchase of an FWD that retains the original drop down side repair truck body. It is unusual in that it is a contract truck that was made by the Kissell car Co. Motor turns .Tim you need not look any further as I have been fortunate to find the missing water pump. The water manifold fitting is snapped off. Any one ever repair one of these? I would like to see a picture close up of the magneto set up. I am familiar with Eisemann type but I do not know what is correct for the FWD. I do not expect to begin any restoration until late spring or summer.The truck had been for sale for a few years so the seller had became more amenable to a more realistic sale price.

aef088.jpg

fwd064.jpg

fwd067.jpg

fwd068.jpg

Interesting.

We have in our collection an FWD that was imported by a Swedish car dealer in 1921 and sold to the Swedish Army. Before that we do not have any history.

It is unrestored, and will probably remain as it is.

As far as I know there has been 3 FWD's in Sweden, this one, one civilian used by a mine company and one civilian used by Visby Town. All 3 remain even if they are not complete.

I did some research a few years ago, but did not find much.

Flatbed is probably not original?

Our FWD has some strange rear wheels - or?

There is a winch mounted at the rear - Swedish modification?

The picture is not the best quality, I have more on another disc.

A copy of the manual would be of great interest.

Stefan Karlsson, Swedish Tank Museum

FWD Lastbil.jpg

Interesting to read the name on the manufacturers plate, that of the Kissel Car Co. The automobile production was from the Kissel Kar Co., the second K being changed to a C during the period of WW1. Also at this time the radiator badge was change deleting the word Kar, and then showing only the name Kissel. These cars were an expensive up market line with a limited market, but were offset with a strong manufacturing presence of light commercial vehicles.

My interest in Kissel Kars is based on having parts for a 1914 model that was sent to NZ and set up as a fire engine.

( this is not the 4X4 type)

To those with FWD trucks of the time I would be interested to know of the engine type installed. Are there stamped numbers on the engine mounts?

While the cars appear to be all in house built, the war time contracts appear if Kissel assembled components brought in. It is unclear if some of the commercial vehicles used proprietary engines, therefore my query.

A couple of photos of production from Kissel.

Doug

FWD at Kissel.jpg

FWD at Kissel2.jpg

That is great news Bob. I knew it wouldn't be far away from the rest of the truck. I better start copying my manual for you then.

Good luck with getting it home.

Tim

Tim

Take your time with winter laying down heavy blanket of snow in the west and now bitter cold in the east I am not going to bring it here until April.

It has been inside for the last 35 years. It was formally in California I wonder if it may have been one of the repair trucks on the 1919 cross country trip made by US Army vehicles in 1919 It is serial number 22 of the Kissel made trucks

bob

Tim

Take your time with winter laying down heavy blanket of snow in the west and now bitter cold in the east I am not going to bring it here until April.

It has been inside for the last 35 years. It was formally in California I wonder if it may have been one of the repair trucks on the 1919 cross country trip made by US Army vehicles in 1919 It is serial number 22 of the Kissel made trucks

bob

I have the serial numbers of the trucks on that 1919 Trans Continental and if you send me yours, I'll check it against the list.

I went along on the reenactment a few years back and there were two period rigs that went the whole trip, a 1918 Dodge Staff car and a FWD-B. Both were western rigs. Neither was one of the originals. The Dodge drove the trip because it had sufficient speed. The FWD was trailered. A couple of other period rigs showed up along the way, including a Quad.

Data plate reads 29138 thanks

No joy, sorry.

There were three FWD-Bs on the trip, all three listed as cargo trucks. Just in case any of these turn up, they had the following serial numbers/motor numbers/USA Reg numbers: 8175/9979/415766, 13325/21426/415768 and 8044/9371/415767.

The heavy repair/machine shop trucks appear to be Liberty Bs or Macks, though it appears there some Dodges listed as "2-passenger" or "light delivery" that might have been light repair trucks. Seems to me I have seen a pic off a light repair truck on the run.

Only one other 4x4 was on the trip, a Militor artillery tractor with a winch and, with all the 4x2s, it was often used on the trip.

No joy, sorry.

There were three FWD-Bs on the trip, all three listed as cargo trucks. Just in case any of these turn up, they had the following serial numbers/motor numbers/USA Reg numbers: 8175/9979/415766, 13325/21426/415768 and 8044/9371/415767.

The heavy repair/machine shop trucks appear to be Liberty Bs or Macks, though it appears there some Dodges listed as "2-passenger" or "light delivery" that might have been light repair trucks. Seems to me I have seen a pic off a light repair truck on the run.

Only one other 4x4 was on the trip, a Militor artillery tractor with a winch and, with all the 4x2s, it was often used on the trip.

Thanks

well it was a shot in the dark.Interesting that the serial numbers were sequential

bob

• 2 weeks later...