***Low Oil Pressure**** GULP

Markheliops

Question

Hi all.

Thought I would seek advice on the following -

My Ward la France M1A1 -

On starting and warm up - oil pressure is within specification. As soon as oil heats up - oil pressure drops to nearly zero, rising to about 5-10 lb during driving. :shake:

Now before everyone wants to condemn my R22 Continental engine -

The vehicle has been like this since I purchased it. The engine purrs without any worrying noises or loss of power. On removing the rocker cover gasket, it would seem there is no shortage of oil reaching where it should. I have checked the oil pressure relief valve and it is not blocked. Adjusting the pressure relief valve does not alter the pressure and it should lower or raise the pressure when altered. The oil level is correct and the filters A1.

Now, a friend of mine suggested that perhaps my oil is too thin. I have used classsic oil - as per the manual - 30W.

Is it worth trying an oil change to another grade - IE a thicker oil. :dunno:

If not a period oil gauge, is it possible that like most modern vehicles, the gauge only registers when the engine is under power. The manual states oil pressure should be 10-15lb on tick over.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Markheliops

16 answers to this question

I've been told the 22R was prone to low oil pressure. I don't know why though and I don't know what the cure is either :dunno:

Many Rover V8s have almost zero oil pressure when hot but last for years nonetheless. Hopefully the same will go for yours :-)

We won't mention somebody (who's identity shall remain anonymous) :whistle: who suffered from low oil pressure in his WLF due to a lack of oil. This was AFTER many components and pipes had been changed and checked.

That was either your fault or Nick's. Certainly not mine as I'm a genius and would never do anything that stupid :whistle:

If it's any help, a Flathead Ford V8 sometimes runs at a very low oil pressure (5 at best) on tick-over when hot, and I have been assured by a Ford mechanic that this is normal. Provided a V8 has at least some oil pressure (more than 1), then there is nothing to worry about. Perhaps your truck is the same?

To put in my little bit, with reference to the Rover V8 they do suffer from low oil pressure but as said above they go on and last for years, the point is they have high oil flow so its chucking loads of oil in there but its not at a high pressure..

If it is a worry why not take the engine out and re build it :whistle:

If it is a worry why not take the engine out and re build it :whistle:

Easier to dieselise it. You get the ability to go up hills too. The continental engine really is underpowered for the truck. Mike took his governeres out and it still struggled. Thats (one of) the reasons he fitted the diesel.

Dodd's engine, which he claimed was a Merlin, was a Meteor. I was working for Avation Jersey at the time, yeah , the place that supplied engines to Rodesia :roll: Mind you it took the MPs at westminster 2 years to find out :-D. Dodd tried to scrounge a lot of spares. Also got Rolls totally wound up. Also he claimed 200 mph for the vehicle, what most starry eyed journalist know all' motoring Correspondents' didn't notice was that it a Kilometere graduated speedo. as you may gather I wasn't impressed by him.