Army Ferguson TED 20 Tractors

drewe

We have found a 1954 Ferguson TED 20 Tractor which has a military date plate fixed to it with the following information printed on it:

Tractor Land Utility 4 x 2

Chassis no : TED 371456

Vehicle no : 23 BY 40

Contract no : 6V EHS 14175CB286

I have had a search carried out by the RLC museum at Deepcut but sadly they have no records.

I also tried the RAF museum at Hendon, they have no record of the RAF having any of these tractors but did confirm that the military registration number 23 BY 40 is one issued to army vehicles rather than RAF ones.

Does anyone please have any info on these tractors in service, their uses etc.

In service photos, handbooks etc etc.

Thanks and Regards

Drewe

We have found a 1954 Ferguson TED 20 Tractor which has a military date plate fixed to it with the following information printed on it:

Hi Drew,

I know of another TED20, ex-army, 11BY19, but built earlier, in 1951. They were used around camps, bases, workshops etc. for mundane tasks such as mowing and ground maintenance, also towing industrial trailers around. The REME workshops that I worked at had a Massey Fergie 35 Industrial and all it did was tow the scrap metal trailer from the workshop to the dump every day. It did have another role, but rarely used for it, a Klaxon and siren were fitted to it and in the event of a general alert the tractor had to be driven around with sirens blaring.

regards, Richard

Came across many tractors during my time in the Royal Engineers. Ford County and 4000 series were used for soil stabilization work.

Massey Ferguson 35 were dotted all over the big Plant Workshops and stores depots. They were used for allsorts of general towing and shifting around. Never saw a green one though, they were always yellow

Massey Ferguson 35 were dotted all over the big Plant Workshops and stores depots. They were used for allsorts of general towing and shifting around. Never saw a green one though, they were always yellow

Hi Rob,

The Fergie TE20's would have been demobbed by then. I was only looking at one the other day, in fact also saw an early FE35 which still has army green on it and the ID plate on the side of the transmission.

Hi Drew,

I know of another TED20, ex-army, 11BY19, but built earlier, in 1951. They were used around camps, bases, workshops etc. for mundane tasks such as mowing and ground maintenance, also towing industrial trailers around. The REME workshops that I worked at had a Massey Fergie 35 Industrial and all it did was tow the scrap metal trailer from the workshop to the dump every day. It did have another role, but rarely used for it, a Klaxon and siren were fitted to it and in the event of a general alert the tractor had to be driven around with sirens blaring.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard, any photo's please?

Regards

Drew

What colour is this painted?; green? Or what colour is under the layers of more recent paint.

The tractor looks to be in unrestored exservice condition, the original paint is gloss deep bronze green with patchy overpainting in what may have been a semi matt bronze green.

There is a white stencilled anti freeze do not drain sign and a yellow(ish) circle painted on the bonnet and the military registration numbers are stencilled, white on black on the diff cover and the front radiator panel.

I attach some photos

DSCF8319.JPG

DSCF8302.JPG

DSCF8305.JPG

DSCF8306.JPG

DSCF8311.JPG

• 2 months later...

I have had a search carried out by the RLC museum at Deepcut but sadly they have no records.

I also tried the RAF museum at Hendon, they have no record of the RAF having any of these tractors but did confirm that the military registration number 23 BY 40 is one issued to army vehicles rather than RAF ones.

Thanks and Regards

Drewe

Hi chaps, thank you all for your interest and help.

We have decided to preserve the Fergie in it's present ex-service condition, we are to degrease it all, deal with any rust and spray it with a laquer which will protect and preserve the paintwork.

Secondly we would like to buy another one which we intend to restore to ex-factory as new condition so we can show the pair together.

If anyone knows of a complete ex-army TED20 for sale please get in touch.

Regards

Drewe

• 2 months later...

Thanks and Regards

Drewe

Unless you have seen them already, you may find these sites helpful/interesting:-

http://www.fergusonclub.com/

http://www.fofh.co.uk/museums/museumsgb.htm

http://www.oldfergusontractors.com/Ferguson_Resources.htm#Ferguson

• 6 years later...

Hi Drewe. I am just near completion of restoring Ministry of supply TED 20 .reg no. 17BY25  complete with V5 and will be looking to sell this in the not too distant future .Engine rebuilt .too many new parts to list and full respray .

Get in touch if your interested I am in the Shropshire area. Regards Ray