Royal Enfield WD/CO transmission leak

demon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5050-30 is an Ariel part number, as they indicate...the tap on your bike is an Enots Hexagon type as used typically by Norton in 1/4"BSP and also by BSA and AMC (I believe threaded 1/8"BSP).

26965 as per the price list and confirmed by Ron's NOS parts label is certainly a WD RE tap. All you have to do now is confirm that it is correct for your model and contract.

As I already said. Every WD Enfield to my knowledge uses that 26965 tap. I don't know of it fitted to any other make. The twin tap that you show was also fitted to Triumphs and James ML's. But maybe with a different size thread for the tank. Ron

Edited by Ron

Ron, I was being deliberately cautious as I don't really know Enfields and I had seen by chance a reference to part no. 26512 relating to a WD/C

14-15%202_zpsvgray5u4.jpg

14-15%203_zpsldjv9kg1.jpg

Burtons list this tap but no illustration. It looks the same in the parts book as 26965 to me. Maybe they were originally chromed ?

26512 PETROL TAP WITH FILTER - Standard Selling Price £35.00

PLUNGER TYPE/1/4" GAS

Yes I just looked in my WD/D parts list and that is also 26512 (pissing down too much to go down to the shed to check other model parts lists). I can only imagine that it's something to do with the finish? I'm sure the thread sizes are all the same. More anomalies! Ron

Just had a look in my workshop. I have the original taps from my early WD/C, and a pair of later taps from Ron's box here. The WD/C taps are dull chrome, the later taps look a bit shinier to me. And the sleeve in which the cork plunger moves is 1/16 longer on the newer taps! But both taps are stamped with the same patent number and look identical in any other respect.

Jan

Edited by rewdco

• 1 month later...

Finally I've finished the cougar and serviced my young ladies bike so time to sort the old CO out. She's now on the bench ready for the gearbox investigation. Before I start are there any nasty surprises waiting for me when remove the casing? i.e. Something that'll need to be done/released to remove it or something that may drop inside. Any tips and tricks are welcome.

image.jpg

Ron it's on the bench now... All bearings are sealed and yes I'll be taking the inner seal out.

I have a question re the grease. How much grease do I put in when I assemble it? I know it'll be easier whilst the box is apart. The manual says fill the cavity then top up with gear oil whilst the engine is ticking over.

I've only ever used straight 50 in mine, although my 'G' box leaks a bit and I've been adding straight 90. But it hasn't helped much and I'm reluctant to touch the box until I'm ready or have to, as it's such a sweet box.

I would perhaps throw in a couple of handfuls of grease while it's open and then top up with oil through the filler neck.

There's this stuff from Hitchcocks. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-tools-silkolene#part_4110

Ron

For some reason the link isn't working from my phone. I spoke With Dave 2 yesterday when ordering my parts and he's popped the correct grease in with my order. I hope to get in the workshop this evening and rebuild the box. Then to sort the carb leak out and if all goes well I hope to take her for her first ride