James ML - opinion needed

HQsignals

I know it's not assembled on the bike, but the rod should come out the other end. The brass spring box on mine is threaded for the cable adjuster (which was missing) But I've no idea if it'r original or repro as it was on the bike when I acquired it many years ago.  Ron

On 4/19/2020 at 4:42 PM, welbike said:

Here's what I got, took some time to clean and free up everything, but this is all very original, will have some copies made, as the existing copies are quite different, see the brass sleeve, dimensionally different and the threads too, and no thread for the cable adjuster.

Bottom picture is from the brake arm side.

Cheers, Lex 

90AD1A0A-4DE7-484F-AC1A-3237189E65C6.jpeg

FF2170A8-AD5E-4B0B-80F9-276E3C7BCFEB.jpeg

73A24EB3-CDEB-4076-8E69-DBE30D0AF237.jpeg

How long and how wide is that spring?

Just checked my bottom nut with a magnet which is dull plated steel. It's looking more like my whole thing is original. I can't measure the spring, but obviously it has to fit in the spring box and I'd start with 1 1/2" and gradually shorten it to suit.  Ron

One of my ML's has an original front brake cable assembly fitted.........the adjuster on the end of the rod is steel Lex (as is the rear one)....the rod is steel and dull-cadmium plated.....the end connector on the rod brass....the part that fits to the fork brass (but dull-chrome plated) and the securing nut (of narrow width) also dull chrome plated.......

• Like 1

It's probably going to end up like Arial and Brough, making phenomenally expensive bespoke motorcycles. Even more likely is Norton, where people get ripped off. It's hard to see how a domestic motorcycle company could ever compete with the Chinese in terms of production. Look at the once proud name of AJS - maybe that's what they'll do. import cheap bikes and re-badge them.

Rivets! But you can cheat with socket button head bolts and fill the hex in with body filler. You can buy them with imperial threads to reduce the shame a bit and even file the heads to a lower profile if required. Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=button+head+socket+screws&_sacat=0

MLDSCF2603.jpg

Edited by Ron