James ML - opinion needed

HQsignals

On 5/5/2020 at 5:33 PM, 79x100 said:

Did James use BSF ? Should the wiring be cloth-covered ? The cables should !

In terms of replicas being considered original, best to have sufficient funds and commission a restored aeroplane...An identification plate is sufficient.

The CAA has a far lower burden of proof than DVLA  !

it

8 minutes ago, military james said:

Why there is a support plaque, on front mudguard  ?? 

realjamesml3.jpg

It’s for a number plate. Possibly an old mudguard ‘recycled’.

Edited by monty_stubble

Monty, looking good ! I've built several Villiers 9D engines over the years and they're pretty simple to work on........

Best source of supply for parts is Villiers Services...they've pretty much got everything.....

Points to check carefully apart from the usual are the crankcase seals and piston rings/bore to ensure good compression.....

As for the ignition/engine timing, note that Villiers used three different points assemblies between 1938 and 1948. The correct one for the WD James is in a brass casing and requires spanners to adjust the points. Post-war Villiers employed an improved assembly in an alloy casing.....the first version has points now adjusted by a screwdriver and then a later version incorporates a cam to make adjustment even easier. All assemblies are interchangeable and hidden once fitted......

Do fit a new condensor........

When timing the engine and fitting the big brass flywheel, initially ignore any timing marks on the flywheel. Although Villiers did stamp timing marks on the flywheel I've had at least two engines where the existing marks were inaccurately stamped, so it's well worth starting off timing by "eye".......all easy to do with the head off.....

Yes, bit worried about that.  Could take a few mil off the nut I suppose.

2 other questions ...

1. Does the cable from the rear light go through the mudguard or over it. There seems to be a mixture. On the bike I haven't started on yet it goes through, on some photos, over the top. Which is it?

2. On your 2 pounder Anti Tank gun. When you fire it there is a bowden cable arrangement to close off the sight. How is it connected at the pedal? Is it a nipple or is it just clamped on with a screw? And is there a lubricator in the middle of the cable?

Yes I think a slim nut would be a better option and feed the stud through from the other side to get the nut started.

There ar 4 little TERRY clips down the side of the rear mudguard that holds the cable. They are available from Draganfly in SS. I just paint them black.

I'm intrigued about the 2 pounder cable! Mine hasn't got one.....(Yet???) please explain about it.

Cheers Ron 

DSCF2843.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

When you press the trigger foot pedal a shield to cover the sight is activated. It protects it from the flash (presumably).  When you let go it pops back down. It's approx 6mm outer, 2mm inner cable.  I'll just skin the plastic off one, I've got some in the shed.

98205887_568237517428337_1526051993947209728_n.jpg

98205000_318263935812251_7543438932424261632_n (1).jpg

97926089_642725083124618_1082475536917200896_n.jpg

Edited by monty_stubble

I have nothing! Any chance or an overall picture of the whole set up please. I'll look for tell tale bracket holes and such. Mine was a wreck. Do we know each other somehow?

Ron

2 pounder 005.jpg

You're lucky to have everything so original. A lot of mine had to be fabricated and it's been a work in progress for many years.  We might have to take this into another section of the forum or maybe better by PM. Ron

2 Pounder 135.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...