Land Rover 109 Ex. Dutch military 'Commando & scout car'

Jan94

Dear all,

Allready long time guesst on this forum, watching how other people doing nice restorations. But would like to share my restoration on my first car.

The car I own is a: Land-Rover 109' SIII Diesel

Made for the Dutch military.

End of last year I bought her, verry happy!

Always been a huge fan of the lovely British Land-Rover and finally own one.

The Dutch army owned Land-Rovers in a few different designs. The moment I bought my Land-Rover I didn't know much about the type of cars the army owned. Did some research on the internet and found out mine was a bit different.

The car I own is a : ''Commando & scout car''

Only 250 were made in this version.

This is how she should look like:

2h4kj94.jpg

Quite impressive.

And this how my car looked like the moment I went visiting it before buying:

zlxhr5.jpg

Quite different he, But if you compare the bonnet brackets and brackets on the rear-tub you see some agreements.

My goal is to bring her back to the original state!

So complete with gun pedestal, aerial, spare wheel carrier, etc. etc.

At he moment I'm stripping the front. Need to replace al the fluids, filters and lots more.

So she isn't pretty anymore:blush:

Lot's of grease, oil, tectyl and rust.

Ok here pictures!

2uf4qv9.jpg

nd2czr.jpg

This is her home for this winter, nice and dry!

2ajn7us.jpg

Removed the first wing.

6zsec5.jpg

New rear leaf springs.

n1uul5.jpg

Because one top leaf was broken.

1zwjjx4.jpg

Both wings removed.

t7hirp.jpg

Grille pannel removed.

2j3pb0g.jpg

Not bad for a almost 40 year old lady:)

2zs5hk5.jpg

Inside, still looking 'fresh'

2qtibk6.jpg

My MAG pedestal, very lucky with it, these things are so rare.

2dbw38y.jpg

Also did manage to find a original spare wheel carrier.

34s5rhe.jpg

Ok guys, hope you like it and do understand my texting. I'm for The Netherlands, so my English isn't always 100% faultless I guess. Sorry for that.

If you have anny questions, feel free to comment!

All the best,

Jan

I own a Dutch lightweight :) they were fun to have as a toy around 2000. In those days I worked at a small garage, payment in parts that I needed, work was scrap this lightweight and scrap those range rovers. Parts were stored for a year on roof racks for the soft top 109 units, the rear spare wheel carriers got scrapped straight away.

I wish I kept a rack for the front, pedestrians will end up like cut eggs when you hit them.

How far will you go to restore it? I hope to remanufacture the rack on the front for my 88, I just need it here.

Groeten van een Nederlander in Lincolnshire.

I own a Dutch lightweight :) they were fun to have as a toy around 2000. In those days I worked at a small garage, payment in parts that I needed, work was scrap this lightweight and scrap those range rovers. Parts were stored for a year on roof racks for the soft top 109 units, the rear spare wheel carriers got scrapped straight away.

I wish I kept a rack for the front, pedestrians will end up like cut eggs when you hit them.

How far will you go to restore it? I hope to remanufacture the rack on the front for my 88, I just need it here.

Groeten van een Nederlander in Lincolnshire.

Goodday .303Fan,

Love the lightweights, really boxshaped, but oke:)

My dad has owned 2 lightweights in the past. One of them he fully restored:

wlt8gh.jpg

Still looking for that rack to put on the bumper. Sometimes they pop up on the web, for not that much money.

This winter I will restore it so far it can ride and make it 100% technical all right. So installing a new waterpump, thermostat, radiator, filters, gaskets, fluids and new springs.

At the moment I'm living with my parents, so I don't have my own garage where I can tear her apart for a full restoration.

But when I grow older and have my own place/garage I will do a full restoration.

Verry sad to here that they scrapped all the stuff you'd said. But with the 109' roofrack you mean this one?:

16bdjkz.jpg

All the best,

Jan

Indeed, a few of those roof racks. If I would have had the space, I would have saved a lot more. My mom went nuts once because I had my spares in the back yard and she realized that the tank like objects she smoked next was in fact 2x 80L lpg tanks. No sense of adventure some ;). Try to find someone with a greenhouse that has a corner spare. Before that I used "garage de stoeprand" many times and at one point I had seven landies in various states of decay. The council got involved and I was allowed two cars at the roadside at any time. I scrapped one, stored two and had four parked in the street but two were mine as I gave my dad a 101fc ambulance ex baor and a 109 2a ex baor as a birthday gift. A creative loophole they said but okay, just keep the oil pollution under control.

In 2010 disability hit, my back completely wore out and a fall on a ledge killed it off. UWV decided I was not allowed to drive my landies, work on them in any way, form or shape. After a suicide threat that if they take that away too I will watch speeding trains from a level crossing. If you ever get the misfortune of getting stuck in their system, suicide and selfharm are cards to play, including a document to send to the press. When I moved to the UK, things went a bit better, pain relief through NHS was 500% better then Holland, I even enjoy summertime tinkering again :) a good thing as my wife gave me a 101fc ex gulf war ambulance as wedding gift and a friend gave a 88S3 civvie as a gift. Non runners though so work was needed and it never ends.

I hope you have a tax exempt diesel, my 88 lw went from exempt to 1500 Euro a year. Sorn (schorsen) was my only option :(

Update,

Removed the rotten radiator, ventilator and waterpump. At the moment

the rockercover, oil filler pipe and 24V generator are also gone. All will be cleaned and repainted.

Pictures:

wjeutk.jpg

When I start rebuilding the engine, I will put on new V-belts.

t53r47.jpg

Just to compare, here the thermostat housing and heatervalve, before and after:4r2c6s.jpg

2eoh1ub.jpg

Rocker cover, before cleaning.

2iuf9lh.jpg

After:

ay0nwg.jpg

All the best,

Jan

I can't see the majority of the photo's.

I see, you're right.

I always use 'tinypic' for uploading pictures and after that I can put them on forums.

First time This happens, I will find out.

Thanks for the notice,

Jan

Looking good :) You hve tp love a Land Rover rebuild!

Thank you, I do love my Land-Rover. Espacially the restoring part.

Well done! What are you using to get everything so clean?

Thanks! For cleaning such dirty parts I put them in a bucket with soap and warm water. For about 15 minutes. Then take them out, wipe most stuff away with a towel, after that, again in the bucket with fresh warm soapy water. And repait this process couple of times. Most stuff will come of. Stuff still on there I scrape off with a knive or something like that.

It takes some time, but I would like to have a tidy Landy after all.

And not a mudbuster covered in grease and oil:blush:.

All the best,

Jan

Thank you, I do love my Land-Rover. Espacially the restoring part.

Thanks! For cleaning such dirty parts I put them in a bucket with soap and warm water. For about 15 minutes. Then take them out, wipe most stuff away with a towel, after that, again in the bucket with fresh warm soapy water. And repait this process couple of times. Most stuff will come of. Stuff still on there I scrape off with a knive or something like that.

It takes some time, but I would like to have a tidy Landy after all.

And not a mudbuster covered in grease and oil:blush:.

All the best,

Jan

Easier than i expected. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update!:)

Clean and painted parts:

30kvujs.jpg

Oil filler pipe, the cap is new:)

2v3hrfm.jpg

Ready to fit on the engine.

69jec1.jpg

The UZI gun bracket. Has to be fitted in the drivers door.

acreko.jpg

abhzl1.jpg

1t4rar.jpg

Painted & clear lack.

23utmcm.jpg

1zfiycl.jpg

dm8ex2.jpg

We will get there :beer:

Oké, all the best!

Jan

• 3 years later...