SAS Dinky or Walt Dream?

soleil

Also Modification Instruction No17- Fitting of dry powder fire extinguisher to replace BCF type would have been carried out after October 1993.

Centre lighting panel with 6 position switch looks like it's from a Series 3, there's a brake test switch - these weren't fitted to 90/110s, the brake warning light is in the warning light panel.

The rear "hub caps" indicate 24 spline half-shafts - not fitted until VIN LA930456 (Model year 1994).

Thanks.

The higher res picture I have shows HRC2495 embossed on it. It appears from research on the web HRC2494 is fitted one side and HRC2495 on the other.

One current Ebay listing in the US says "Please note they also fit the 1993... Range Rover Classic".

The vehicle also has rear disc brakes, which as I noted in the initial spec were not standard Defender fitment until 1994.

Convoy op in Feb 1991. No idea on the development times of these things, and Land Rover were obviously doing everything they could to help out our lads with staff in theatre etc., but it looks very, very marginal...

The seats and steering wheel are also subsequent replacements or hot off the production line. Curious because one seat base has some camo overspray.

I think I need serious help figuring this one out!!! ;)

The brake TEST switch is a early S3 up to abt. 1979/80 , it is manual test just to prove the bulb illuminates , the later version had a BRAKE warning indicator that was automatic test on ignition start.

I suppose it depends on the bloke who fitted the rear disc brake axle - did he know what he was doing , the 90" originally had a shuttle PDWA valve for dual circuit line failure (failure illuminated BRAKE) , later rear disc axle had a "G" valve , then a Proportional Force Regulator Valve (COMPENSATOR IIRC was only with rear discs) - it all get very complicated with "change points".

Long story but this was built by someone who then lost interest due to a relationship break down and subsequently sold the vehicle on. He too has left the hobby.

This is a replica I'm afraid.

Many thanks for getting back to me. For a grand and a half I have some nice parts and a repro will be cheaper to repair as I'll be able to junk the rusty stuff & replace instead of recondition.

I don't suppose you have any idea why there are so many holes - what is missing? Anything you could tell us about the vehicle / concept would be most interesting. No rush because I'm in no rush to do anything with it, and thanks again for your quick reply. Now I'll have a good think what to do with it. Any suggestions from other people???

And I was about to blame Rumsfeld - there are no "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.

Also Modification Instruction No17- Fitting of dry powder fire extinguisher to replace BCF type would have been carried out after October 1993.

Thanks for both bits of info.

In layman's terms for civvies like me you're saying the fire extinguisher would have been replaced in 1993 for a different type? (There is only one service date on the one fitted and that is 1992.)

And I was about to blame Rumsfeld - there are no "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.

:)

Thanks for all your help and interest. It's been a pleasure.

• 2 years later...

Hi just joined forum,Bought a Range Rover Classic yesterday said to be xSAS with military VRM and full rollcage/adaptions/brackets etc

No history with vehicle! Where abouts can i find paperwork for Car please?

Is L reg 1994 3.9 EFI

Any help appreciated

Steve

28 minutes ago, Swaz17 said:

Hi just joined forum,Bought a Range Rover Classic yesterday said to be xSAS with military VRM and full rollcage/adaptions/brackets etc

No history with vehicle! Where abouts can i find paperwork for Car please?

Is L reg 1994 3.9 EFI

Any help appreciated

Steve

Hello Steve

I bid on that one but my offer was not accepted. I believe Its one of 4 that were supplied that year, I have one of the others.

The VIN number looks good compared to mine and the military reg seems correct, in line with my numbers.

I will try to help you with questions, what is the registration number?

Cheers 

Steve (MACCDT)

The link to the "unusual radio setup" seems to redirect back to this thread?

Don't get hung up on the registration date.  Ex-military vehicles receiving a civilian registration should use the "date of first use", i.e. the date they entered MOD service, not the date they left it.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...