Sign in to follow this  
DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Bayonet?

IMG_1469.jpg

Hi, has anyone got an idea as to what this bayonet is please. Can not make out what is on the blade but the scabbard has 'Mauser' I think on it. Trouble is I have tried one of my K98's in the scabbard and there too long. Has this been cut down?

Cheers Steve.

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

If you look at the fullers it looks like the blade has been cut down , the Germans converted a number of longer blade old bayonets in WW1 . If you look along the blade back (by the crossguard) you'll possibly see a crown with a letter and a date underneath which will give you an indication of how old the blade is.

IMG_1495.jpg

Managed to get a few more taken though my jewellers loop and IPhone, come out quite well.

Sorry for the way the pic's have come out. Not sure how they ended up this way round.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Edited by DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Well I have since found out from a very reliable source that this is the remains of a WW1 German 'Butcher Blade' been cut down along with it's scabbard. There are the remains of the number 17 on the back top of the blade along with the crown indicating 1917. This was most likely a cut down, made into a field fighting knife. I am trying to up load the photos that were sent to me showing this to be true but can not copy and paste for some reason. Will see if I can sauce the original photos.

Cheers Steve.

You can see some examples of postwar reworks on the S.98/05 page of the Old Smithy bayonets website:

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/German_98_05_%20variations.htm

As mentioned, it's probably a Turkish rework:

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/Knife_Bayonet_(6).htm

2 Great web sites, very informative. cheers for that.:thanx:

Steve.