What is the Best way?

Topdog

I have been fortunate enough to get a pair of WW11 deacs, a Lee Enfield and a Mauser rifle. They are very nice but tatty and some surface rust on the metal.

I don't want to re-blue but just fettle them up a bit so what is the best way - fine wire wool dipped in oil & elbow grease, I will be taking the wood off to do it.

Cheers

Commercial gun cleaner will do the job. Then use a wax to protect the metal. Wax is the recommended preserative for any metal blade as well. Linseed oil for the woodwork. I have used Black lead grate polish, or the modern equivalent as well, that gives the metal a nice finish.

I use a brass empty cartridge case to remove rust (any soft brass will do though), hammer the mouth flat and dress it with a file to make it a bit tidy , oil the rusty areas and scrape at the rust, then oil and repeat scraping until the rust has gone. the brass is softer that the blue so wont remove it, the rust is softer so it takes it away. be aware that steel wool will remove bluing if you are not careful.

Use decent oil, gun oil if you can but not WD40 or one of the Teflon types. A copper 2p coin has always been handy for removing stuban rust. The forces use Red scotch bright (Defo not the green). One of the best things you could do is to leave oil to soak into the steel for a few weeks or more.

If the Enfield is a SMLE type, you must remove the forwood before removing the butt as the butt bolt has a square on the end and this locks into the forewood. If the forewood is left on and the bolt is turned, the forwood can/will split.

I was advised by someone this was the better polish to use . I'll be trying it on FAC No4 that I'm going to be renovating so hopefully I've been given the right advice :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOVAX-BLACK-GRAPHITE-GRATE-POLISH-FOR-STOVE-CAST-IRON-BBQ-FIRE-BASKET-/131577439802?hash=item1ea2a0663a:g:dgkAAOSwPcVVy7dW

Dave

• 4 weeks later...