The Public, your AFV & fire supression system(s)

WCMatt

I'm quite a ways from this being a real issue for me but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm in the early stages of a M548A1 resto.

. The Co2 fire bottle carried on board, located in the engine compartment (more or less) has long since been discharged & it's emergency pull handle while still in place, isn't even attached to the bottle anymore.

Came home from work one day a week or two ago and found the aforementioned handle "pulled" out & resting on top of the hull of the M548 as if someone had pulled it out, and placed it up top. After inquiring with family members I've reached the conclusion that the culprit was a member of the self entitled public.

No real biggie as they didn't take the handle with them and no damage was done to the vehicle but it did start me wondering.

Do any of you out there with MVs that have built in fire supression systems on board (Shermans come to mind) have said systems hooked up?

How do you deal with a curious public that tends to start jerking levers & pushing buttons while not knowing what said levers & bottons do?

What kind of precausions do you take to make sure that the F/S handle isn't pulled (actual fire not withstanding) by some curious person?

Has anyone on here actually had this happen (fire system "accidentally" activated)to their MV at a show/display?

Look forward to everyone's replies...

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt

Only once in 35+ years, and l am willing to bet was and will be the only time that guy ever goes pulling safety pins an pushing levers. He discharge large dry powder fire extiqusher in the cab of my HUP. Nozzle was pointed straight at him, yes made mess in the cab.

Several times over the years I've found the little safety cable tie on the safety pin broken, only real problem was finding source the breakable cable ties. Finally asked extguisher service centers gave me a bunch. I would far prefer to carry CO2 extguishers just for the no cleanup, but business of getting the tanks recerfied got difficult or expensive in our area.

Cheers Phil

Have this problem with our FV436 and the CVR(T) vehicles and all the rest with the hand held extinguishers.

It is our basic SOP that if a vehicle goes on display then the system has to be secured from accidental discharge. To that end we have used good quality zip ties but in the end a sailing gauge of stainless lock wire seems to give the edge. We carry side cutters to be able to activate them if needed.

The mess and aggravation of a spent system is something we don't want.

We zip tie bins and CES and quite often find them forced to near breaking point.

Never under estimate the public.

Robin

The fire handle on the M548 is located just aft of the driver's door in a circular recess in the hull. It may be a little to far up for a smaller child but certainly not for some of the middle aged ones we see walking around at shows & displays. I was thinking that when the time comes (thinking positive here) I would cover said recess with 90MPH tape (aka OD duct tape). Out of sight out of mind................

Matt