Light weights & roll over

WCMatt

Hello List!

Was wondering about this: With all things being equal, are airportable light weights prone to roll overs? I understand that anything can be "rolled" if you try hard enough (wreckless operation). But driven with common sense, should I still be concerned about taking a turn above 20-25 MPH? I'm talking about "on road" driving, not off road.

Most of my small MV driving experience is/was in M151A1s & M151A2s with the A1s having a pretty good reputation for going over if driven w/o care. Yes I know that the LR & the M151 are completely different vehicles with completely different suspensions but they do share a short wheel base, narrow track width & a high center of gravity.

I never had an issue with the M151s personally, but it was one of the few MVs that when I slipped behind the wheel I usually took a min to remind myself that if I wasn't careful, I could hurt or even kill myself or someone else.

Regards,

Matt

I have driven loads of Lightweight Land Rovers both while serving and since. I have never had any roll over OR seem anywhere near to doing so. The key is drive sensibly, ANYTHING can be taken beyond the point of safety so yes they, like all vehicles will roll but unless you are into either extreme off roading or drive like a maniac I cannot see a problem. The thing is they are soft topped so have little protection if they do roll so if the above driving style is your choice fit a roll bar :D

That's good to know, thanks. My driving style is very conservative. While I've not researched it in depth, I've not heard of any stories about Lwts going over (where the driver had common sense). So I thought I'd post and see if anyone else has.

Regards,

Matt

i rolled my 88LW before. The rollbar mounted on the tub saved me twice as my first roll was during offroading and was because I pushed it to far on a hill in the mud. The second time was during ice road conditions. Both times I got put on my wheels and drove on straight after.

i rolled my 88LW before. The rollbar mounted on the tub saved me twice as my first roll was during offroading and was because I pushed it to far on a hill in the mud. The second time was during ice road conditions. Both times I got put on my wheels and drove on straight after.

certainly a testament to the stout design of the Land Rover :cool2:.. What I plan on using my S-3 Lwt (when I finish it) for is a summer/town run about and maybe some trail riding. Nothing too extreme.

Matt

It depends , one of my road tests is to blast up flat out to a certain mini-roundabout and do a 180 , I have built up the approach speed over 40 years and have confidence but am not looking at the speedo , never lifted a tyre - so not needed roller skates on the roof. I would never have started this if a certain person had not given me a test ride in his V8 Lightweight on a very twisty road, I have never gone as fast as he did that day - so I have a idea where the stability limit is. I have to qualify by stating springs & HD shocks all good.

Parabolic springs , cream-crackered springs or 7.50 tyres - then I would not chance : unknowns. I have always been on 6.50 cross-ply on std. 5.00 rims or 205R16 on 5.50 rims (that will be better).

1984/85 two soldiers were killed in a Lightweight on the Durham A1(M) - it left the tarmac went up a cutting embankment and rolled down (that is as much as I know). I did see the wreck - it went through CMA Maltby (for obvious reasons I never bid). Actually IMHO the damage was slight (hood sticks and screen frame protect far better than you would expect).

The later Lightweight (from abt. 1983) with inertia seat belts and high level belt frame , would give lots more protection although the frame is strictly not a ROPS structure.

The main danger is a side-impact by a car at speed - probably you will roll ,,

I repeat my previous answer, driven normally and with respect you will be perfectly safe. Seeing as the other posts regarding possible rolls concern either extreme off road use or an un-witnessed accident damaged LW, there is every possibility that bad driving or extreme circumstances led to the roll. Common sense suggests you will know when you are near the limit, I drove Army Land Rovers virtually flat out everywhere when the Army were paying the fuel bills and never once felt anywhere near the limit to be honest even on the ranges ! These are 4wd vehicles not F1 cars so sensible cornering should be a matter of course :D

The old hoar about cart sprung Landys, they breack you long before you breack them! :D The only time I've ever seen them go over was with the application of stupidity., and over the years I've off roaded them in a quite extreme manner. Avoid going on extreme cross slopes and it will stay upright.

Although there is the classic paniced communication 'The Rover's over, over' The only ones that really need treating with care are the Ambulances, especially the 101 version. They do not like any side tilt.

Edited by Tony B

http://silodrome.com/land-rover-factory/

This is the photograph of a 80" car (may even be a pre-pro , note the fish-plate bumper).

Normally it is the similar head-on photograph you will see in books by a few authors.

The comment by Graham Robson (Land Rover : Workhorse to the World) :-

Proving the product. The safe operating angle might have been 30 degrees, but all Land-Rovers can tilt this far without capsizing. A 90in model under test for stability.

This is STATIC testing , I will not dwell but if anybody queries , may be worth further comment.

a) Left hooker , weight of steering

b) Driver glued on squab

c) Inches of engine + main gearbox offset , mass greater than transfer box

My opinion is that if the single post mvlt was used to raise the UK offside , well if I was the driver - then I would wish for safety chains.

Cross slope test (diagonal side slope) , the easy way would be on a tilting table used for fork-lift truck proto , never heard of any Land Rover being tested this way - thus no data.

----

The originating thread query is about DYNAMIC

The factory testing photograph - 80" car is only 24 cwt , a Lightweight is 30 cwt. I would guestimate most of the extra 6 cwt is in fact sprung weight.

Now Solihull have always "steered clear" of this subject.

The Lightweight user manual(s) (Rover No.608179) data only states :-

Performance

Maximum gradient climable (fully laden on dry concrete) = 30 degree

30 degree FIRM -well wtf use is that , so much for the academic - what would it be on jam sponge cake ?

----------------------

We know how they roll on the soft - hence the ARC Spec. roll-cage if you wish to compete.

So , to return to the nitty-gritty , what sort of speed / cornering can you expect a roll on tarmac / concrete.

All you have is EMPIRICAL , go for a run with somebody who has a better idea of the break point than you , and don't exceed it.

I forgot , my first post the couple of such runs I did as passenger in a V8 Lightweight would have been with Dave Simmonite (deceased|).

The real frightening run was in fact with Steve Parker (mid 1970's) - so it would have been with one of his Ford V Lightweight kitted conversion, ISTR it was hard-top and on 205R16 Michelin tyres. It was a road very near his works , the run was obviously intended for a desired passenger effect, I don't know the area.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I reiterate what most have said above..

More or less any Landrover (apart from the huge bodied ambulances for example) are very stable vehicles indeed when employed 'normally' ..I've spent many years driving just about all MKs of them and have competed 'off road' too in them (leaf and coil sprung versions) in some a very serious manner..... and yes of course you can tip them up but generally only if you get very extreme in your driving indeed....

Please keep in mind ...

It's difficult to make a 'hard and fast' rule on such things.....I've seen vehicles go 'over' in what would to many people might have looked like 'safe' situations...

such as for example:..a slight hollow......(rabbit hole or badger set or perhaps a prairie dog in your district ! ) on the downward side of an apparently normal looking sideslope causes a front wheel on that side to 'dip' by surprise....this causes the centre of gravity to alter dramatically and whoop! over you go !

However I digress.......

Basically what I am saying is this....

In any normal every day driving situation , on or off road ....you shouldn't really ever have a situation where a Landrover would tip over any easier than any other truck or 4 x 4 :) So if you are confident of your abilities to spot and to stop a potentially dangerous situation , carry on and have some fun :)

(Oh and don't listen to anyone saying the same kinda guff about those little Suzuki jeeps tipping over either ...cos they weren't any worse than any other small 4x4 anyways ......... and over here in the UK if they did tip over, it was usually because they were being driven as if they were a hot 2 wheel drive teenagers hatchback instead of a 4x4 :) )

Again, thanks for all the replies/insight. Like I posted earlier most of my small MV experience has been with M151s. I've owned/restored a few 3/4 ton Dodges but they're bigger then both the M151 & Lwt :-). While I drove my M151A1 & A2s on & off road and never had an accident, I've never met an Vet who was in while the M151s were in service that didn't have a roll over story about them (in fact, one guy rolled one backing out of a parking spot!). That's what got me thinking about roll overs & Lwts. That, and the fact that I can't say I've heard of any instances of roll overs & Lwts so I thought I'd ask the Hive Mind (who has a lot more experience than I).

Matt