I own a 1944 Willys Jeep. The V5 shows it as a Ford but its definitely a Willys! How easy is it to correct the information on the V5?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

This could either go very easily OR open a whole can of worms. I have changed an engine in a car in the past and changing the V5c was pretty straight forward however that has got much harder now I believe involving documentation and receipts for the replacement which if you have long scrapped the vehicle it came from but kept the engine may prove difficult. However changing an actual MAKE is something else entirely. It may be worth contacting the MVT who have local people who can inspect and verify vehicles. They will hold more sway with the DVLA than an owner. It pays to be wary as it may take you down a road you didn't care to travel. At the moment there are owners having real problems proving their vehicles are the ones they a purporting to be, it has been well reported in the Classic motoring press so get some sound advice BEFORE you do anything official.

It is hit or miss. Both my Dodges were listed as 1945. The copies of the build certificates shoiwed 1944. Copies to DVLA with request to change, and new V5 s came back. Ask them to change a Land Rover from utility to to estate! You have been kicking cats and leaving your elbows on the table! They make it as they go along.

Let well alone!!!

This man knows what he's talking about he helped me with the registration of my Dodge WC. Leave it as it is, as I stated earlier you are opening a whole can of worms. The DVLA are not known for their rational thinking, I once nearly got a vintage tractor taken from me merely because in a previous life someone had put the engine number down as the frame number and the frame number down as the engines ! Despite sending countless letters, pictures and actual rubbings of the numbers it took six months until I finally found someone in the DVLA office with an IQ over five that realised the error :mad: Every letter I sent took three weeks plus to get a reply and three lots of the pictures sent they denied ever receiving despite me sending them by recorded post. My advice is only deal with Swansea if you fancy spending the next six months of your life on the phone working your way through the entire DVLA workforce all of whom will deny ever having heard of you or your Jeep. It is one of those facts of life that Swansea was put there to drive scores of motorists to an early grave :-D

Thanks for the advice chaps! I am pleased I asked the question....... I shall leave well alone!

Believe me you are doing the right thing :trustme: I view any contact with the DVLA as something to avoid if at all possible, since the local offices closed it has got much worse. Enjoy your Jeep :saluting:

Actually, with a few hoops to jump through and the mislaying of some of my original letters from DES for a couple of months ( I got them back in the end) I found DVLA helpful when re registering my Eager Beaver as Historic from Agricultural. They are going through a phase of rationalization as some cars newly manufactured in South America were being registered here as 'historic' which they clearly were not. The FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) are doing some great work with DVLA to ensure genuine historic vehicles are correctly registered. I'll let you know how i get on with my latest EB, unregistered since being cast.. however, thankfully, we have the release certificate.