Mark IV Female, Ashford, Kent

Gwyn Evans

If you don't mind some simple fabrication and have a camera with a tripod screw thread it would be possible to make your own selfie stick: 1/4" Whitworth thread bolt (check size on your camera), 3 metres metal electrical conduit/pipe for the stick, tripod to clamp the pipe part way down for stability, long cable release, small flash, wide angle lens setting, small aperture for depth of field. Bit of messing about but cheaper than a drone if you don't already have one.

Putting a tripod inside to support a stick with a camera with wide angle lens is a good idea. This could be do-able. Thank you.

Gwyn

http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/site-works-and-safety/454-seesnake-inspection-camera.html

The Ridgid SeeSnake Inspection Camera makes it easier for you to perform visual inspections in hard to reach areas. Its lightweight, handheld design means that it can be carried almost anywhere, providing solutions when and where you need them. It allows you to see and do more, inspect and reach “unreachable” wall cavities, ductwork, utility boxes and hundreds of other dark, hidden spaces.

The unit is equipped with a semi-flexible 90 cm cable with a camera head which sends images to an LCD screen.

The cable can be extended to 9 metres and is water-resistant to 3 metres. A hook or magnet for retrieving objects can be fitted to the camera head, or a mirror for inspecting from a different angle. The unit is supplied in a handy carry-case.

Features

• Display – 2,5” Monitor LCD (160 x 234 resolution).
  • Attachments – Mirror, hook and magnet.
  • Camera size – 17 mm diameter.
  • Lighting – 2 adjustable LED’s.
  • Weight – 0,5 kg.
  • Power Source – 4 AA batteries.
  • Waterproof – Camera and cable to 3 metres depth
  • Cable reach – 90 cm; extendable to 9 metres with optional extensions

No ... I'm not on commission. Nic

It will be pitch black in there and the door on the rear is not very large and who ever is holding the camera will block out any available daylight. Ideally you need a lamp on the camera.

regards, Richard

True, though I was hoping that I could use a flash which would solve the problem (fingers crossed). If just using a mirror on a stick the lack of a light source would be a problem though.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

I took a few photos today of the Ashford MkIV with my phone. Light was not good, but it shows a few things that I have mentioned, stress fractures in the sides behind RH front track idler, can be seen down the left hand band of white paint. This is due to rust building up on the inside between the riveted joint and putting increasing pressure on the plate for many years. Another photo of along the bottom can be seen of short lengths of steel angle, either bolted or riveted to the sides, there is about half an inch of rust build up that is forcing the angles away from the sides. The door at the rear is very small as can be seen here.

There is no chance of seeing any steelworks name on the steel angle due to the amount of paint.

Ashford tank 001.JPG

Ashford tank 002.JPG

Ashford tank 003.JPG

Ashford tank 004.JPG

Ashford tank 005.JPG

Edited by Richard Farrant
added last sentence.

Actually I think there might be something there. What I'm half-expecting to find is a HALLSIDE mark. I attach a photo showing one on 'Grit' (4643) and a marked-up photo showing an area where I think a mark might be. Would anyone in the area fancy taking another look for me, please? A torch can be helpful in finding these. Thanks.

Gwyn

Ashford tank 3 - GDE markup.JPG

GDE1.jpg

Actually I think there might be something there. What I'm half-expecting to find is a HALLSIDE mark. I attach a photo showing one on 'Grit' (4643) and a marked-up photo showing an area where I think a mark might be. Would anyone in the area fancy taking another look for me, please? A torch can be helpful in finding these. Thanks.

Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

It is possible I may have missed any lettering on the iron work, but the AWM's Grit has not stood outside for 95 years with numerous coats of paint, and as such is a pristine example. Metal work inside might offer more proof as I recall little paint in there, but rust of course.

Might be able to get another look next week as it is less than 2 miles away.

• 1 month later...

Appeared on ebay - 1 metre long 'arm' so perhaps not long enough?

2.4" LCD Video Inspection Borescope 1m Endoscope Pipe 9mm Camera Snake Scope New

[TABLE=class: vi-bboxrev-tbl, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: vi-bboxrev-cntrcell]

£37.99

RRP £64.99save £27.00 (41% OFF*)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Nic

• 7 months later...