WAR & PEACE SHOW 2016_ new website taking online entries

cordenj

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate that some chose to deride those who question the reasoning behind the charges made to vehicle owners and exhibitors for attending War and Peace. Yes you could camp out for 10-days at the show and many do, that's a personal choice others with more than one vehicle often require the help of family and friends to bring their vehicle to the show so instantly have additional costs proportional to the number and size of what they wish to bring not forgetting distance to site and home. Personally I've not had my own vehicle at the show for 25-years but have attended helping friends bring some of their collection to the show, and helping in some small way with the cost and time in maintaining the vehicles, and do so because I chose to. And that's what this is about, choice, choice of expending a large sum to get to,

War and Peace show means a lot of different things to many many people.

I think you need to ask yourself a question what does it mean to you ?

Here is part of what it means to me, its a chance to have a week away from outside pressure's, I meet old freinds and make new ones. I get the chance to drive our mv's for a whole week. I pick up bits and piece,s from the stalls ( the amount I save on postage MORE than covers my entrance fee)

Do I pretend that I take our vehicles there for the general public.....no I don't, our small group does not have the pleasure of one of the "prime locations" which is allocated to some. For that reason I am comfortable in leaving the show when I am ready.

I dont have an issue with what is really quite a small fee for an entire week of entertainment.

I don't NEED the toilet or showers but do use them and I still do not understand why when some people are away find the need to sh*t up the walls and on the floor, I can only think those people live like pigs at home.

So if a levy is required to clear up after said animals then so be it.

Edited by gas 44

Yes, if the show was 'Owner's Only' I'd pay. BUT W&P isn't! It's run so the at the Great Unwashed can come in and gawp at OUR vehicles. As was said to the organisers many years ago when they got shirty over one extra person in our party 'We don't come, all you have is an empty feild'. Tune changed very quickly.

Just to add my bit, I go to the show to also meet old friends and hopefully make some new ones and to look at the vehicles that I will never be able to own and to pick up the odd essential bit and piece, as there are only two of us and one vehicle the extra £10 won`t be that bad but I will expect the showers and toilets to be all up and running in all the fields on the Friday before the show starts and not the middle of the week. I do sympathise with those with lots of vehicles and the rein actors as this will put there costs up.

I also hope that this is not the start of yearly price increases but just a one off. It would of been more diplomatic if they had left things the same the first year that they are running the show and explained that from 2017 there would be an increase and why.

Simon

Love it or not, to me is W&P is a commercial orientated show designed for maximum monetary profit and has been for a very long time. Yes there are stalls, traders you don't find anywhere else in the U.K who pay huge sums to be there, its one reason I go. You find entertainment of an evening who have to be paid for often by charging an additional entrance fee for the top end performers, so chose not to go. Toilets, yes they are required by hygiene law at such a large gathering of people and yes some people do leave them in a mess be thankful you don't live with them or clean-up after them, I know that has to be paid for as well and for one appreciate the effort those doing the cleaning put-in. But all site users contribute to that cost in the entrance fee, or should do and do those who provide their own facilities qualify for a discount, I doubt it. I have over the last few years helped some friends with their vehicle to and from W&P and other show where we are not charged to enter the vehicles or have additional charges levied because the drivers is not a member of that particular club? I also help maintain their vehicles, my choice, as is contributing to the running costs, my choice, so I see this as a choice, love W&P and you will go whatever the cost, have concerns over the cost so go elsewhere, comment all you like but do it without derogatory or inflammatory remarks regarding those who do not share a particular point of view. Enjoy the hobby and be tolerant of other's it's part of the mix ;)

I attended By-gone days show in the New Forest in the summer and met The late Lord Montagues son, we talked about shows and he told me he wanted to resurrect Trucks & troops and make it bigger, I told him Rex was giving up and there may be an opening for a new show at Beaulieu.

I for one don't attend war & peace mainly due to distance and cost, but if Beaulieu could come back im sure that would be more attractive for lots of reenactors and vehicle owners, I for one would sign up for that!

Colin

I attended By-gone days show in the New Forest in the summer and met The late Lord Montagues son, we talked about shows and he told me he wanted to resurrect Trucks & troops and make it bigger, I told him Rex was giving up and there may be an opening for a new show at Beaulieu.

I for one don't attend war & peace mainly due to distance and cost, but if Beaulieu could come back im sure that would be more attractive for lots of reenactors and vehicle owners, I for one would sign up for that!

Colin

I went to Trucks & Troops a few years ago, great setting, but as I remember nowhere near the scale of W&P in either vehicles or trader's. I cant remember the cost but I do recal having to pay the full amount to enter as if I were going to the musem....which of course is great.

I'm sure there are other very good shows around, YWE,Wartime in the Vale, to name just a couple.

Will the new owners of W&P take on board any of the comments from this forum, I doubt they will, because as Baz48 says it's commercial venture, there to make money.......and thats why most of us go to work...to make , money......I think;)

Edited by gas 44

I don't see anything wrong with a commercial venture per se. Such a show is a massive responsibility and risk, people undertaking this are entitled to a fair return. My equivalent of £5 per day for week seems good value & if contributes to an element of profit I have no problem with that.

Much as I like meeting with other enthusiasts & looking at their vehicles, I do like interaction with the public. I don't think we should treat the public with contempt, there are some very stupid people out there but amongst our visitors are veterans, people who have worked in the defence industry, people who have lived in places where these vehicles have been used, people who had relatives that have stories or even photos to share. I just wish there was a way of getting them round the vehicle areas more readily not just the trade stalls.

I don't see anything wrong with a commercial venture per se. Such a show is a massive responsibility and risk, people undertaking this are entitled to a fair return. My equivalent of £5 per day for week seems good value & if contributes to an element of profit I have no problem with that.

Much as I like meeting with other enthusiasts & looking at their vehicles, I do like interaction with the public. I don't think we should treat the public with contempt, there are some very stupid people out there but amongst our visitors are veterans, people who have worked in the defence industry, people who have lived in places where these vehicles have been used, people who had relatives that have stories or even photos to share. I just wish there was a way of getting them round the vehicle areas more readily not just the trade stalls.

Well said Clive. I agree with you on all points :thumbsup:

Looking forward to July, and hope for better weather as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well having read this thread and looked at the organisers facetwatter page the question of the £10 fee has not been answered,given that they say they are interested in MV's i thought they could have come on here and explained the reasoning behind it but i am coming to the conclusion as others are that this is turning into purely a money making event,here's hoping we get a reply.

I wonder what this show will be like if Cameron and the EU get their way with the banning of deactivated weapons, replicas etc ? All this supposedly by March 2016. I can see some shows seeing very significant drops in numbers through the gates AND less traders too. Without the weapons aspect have we seen the last of these truly fantastic events ?

I wonder what this show will be like if Cameron and the EU get their way with the banning of deactivated weapons, replicas etc ? All this supposedly by March 2016. I can see some shows seeing very significant drops in numbers through the gates AND less traders too. Without the weapons aspect have we seen the last of these truly fantastic events ?

Is this likely to affect A&E 2016 oh hairy one?

In theory no - as it's not and event for re-enactors but for armour. That said, they tend to have big barrels on the front of them..........

As always, there so much 'information' out there that it is a nightmare to even know what to start with regards to deacts. Last I was told was that the old spec deacts would have to be brought up to the new deacts spec - no moving parts.

In theory no - as it's not and event for re-enactors but for armour. That said, they tend to have big barrels on the front of them..........

As always, there so much 'information' out there that it is a nightmare to even know what to start with regards to deacts. Last I was told was that the old spec deacts would have to be brought up to the new deacts spec - no moving parts.

As I understand it, not until you sell or transfer them on.

How on earth they will know what's going on beggers belief as they have no idea who owns what in the deact world.

I think the early deacts will go underground and never be advertised for sale......else they will have to be welded shut.

Unless someone knows better

I think PROBABLY!!!!!

Many of the traders sell deactivated weapons or accessories for deactivated weapons, As the proposed new law is (at this time) very vague will these traders chance their luck selling or buying prohibited items?

Will they be buying in new stock now that could be worthless by the time of the show?

The police will be scouring all the stalls for prohibited items, even if they don't know themselves what IS illegal!!!!

I believe the police force presence will be strong at the 2016 W&P will anyone want to try their luck in law?

As I understand it, not until you sell or transfer them on.

How on earth they will know what's going on beggers belief as they have no idea who owns what in the deact world.

I think the early deacts will go underground and never be advertised for sale......else they will have to be welded shut.

Unless someone knows better

The word is that there will be a period where people will have to register ALL deactivated weapons, after that anyone caught with one will be liable to fines and or imprisonment. This will turn some into something akin to art thieves where you can't show anyone and can't take them out of your room. Dealers must know something surely, their whole future depends on it. Would you like to be a dealer with huge stocks of old spec deacs that you paid big for, then having to have them welded solid and sold for a fraction of their worth. We are facing maybe the biggest change to our hobby in years yet NO ONE in the major groups such as the MVT etc seems slightly interested ! I imagine a greater police presence at shows IF this does happen and people having to show current spec certificates to satisfy the moronic establishment who believe tougher laws deter terrorists. You cannot legislate for terrorists or madmen they don't care about ANY law.

The latest news regarding the EU knee jerk gun law on the "governments" own website is that and I quote " The government cannot change EU law ". This is in answer to the petition which they have REJECTED on the above grounds. They can ask to opt out but are unlikely to do so as Cameron etc seem to agree with the EU (as always). So guys and girls it looks pretty bleak for our hobby, I notice AT LAST that Milweb has posted details on their site, better late than never I suppose. :mad: I expect it will soon become law and millions of historically important items ( I will not call them weapons as they clearly are not ) will be lost or mutilated. Sad time for our hobby. I hated the EU before, now it's personal :mad:

Getting back to the War and Peace Show:

Am I very slow or has anyone else noticed the show is running from Tuesday to Saturday!!!!

I only noticed when I entered the dates on my 2016 wall planner.

I actually think it's a good idea if only to stop the embarrassment of the empty fields on a Sunday.

Markheliops

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Just booked and looking forward to it ...

T&Cs are on the W&P website see

https://warandpeacerevival.com/show-safety-rules-regs/

£35 for a weeks holiday, excluding travel and subsistence is great value. A chance to meet old friends, make new ones, talk about things that of interest to public/exhibitors, buy stuff you never realised you wanted, etc etc.

Some observations

We have to remember that this is and has always been a commercial venture, and if the organisers see no profit, they won’t be organising it so we will all be looking for other shows to go to.

In my opinion, the prime revenue streams are

1. The paying public (to be entertained)
  2. The stallholders (also there to make a profit)
  3. The exhibitors (to show off our vehicles, re-enact , meet like minded people, buy from the stall holders etc etc)

If any one of these is out of balance, the organisers won’t make profit.

If all the exhibitors got in free, then the paying public and stallholders would burden all the costs and it likely that the traders and public wouldn’t turn up due to prohibitive costs.

Conversely if all the public were let in free, then the burden would fall on the traders and exhibitors, this really would push up the price of attendance and the majority of exhibitors probably wouldn’t turn up.

The organiser has to make a judgement on how the revenue stream is divided in an attempt (albeit difficult) to satisfy all stakeholders.

Cheers

Richard

The latest news regarding the EU knee jerk gun law on the "governments" own website is that and I quote " The government cannot change EU law ". This is in answer to the petition which they have REJECTED on the above grounds. They can ask to opt out but are unlikely to do so as Cameron etc seem to agree with the EU (as always). So guys and girls it looks pretty bleak for our hobby, I notice AT LAST that Milweb has posted details on their site, better late than never I suppose. :mad: I expect it will soon become law and millions of historically important items ( I will not call them weapons as they clearly are not ) will be lost or mutilated. Sad time for our hobby. I hated the EU before, now it's personal :mad:

I can't see any details on milweb?

Jules

Hi All

Just booked and looking forward to it ...

T&Cs are on the W&P website see

https://warandpeacerevival.com/show-safety-rules-regs/

£35 for a weeks holiday, excluding travel and subsistence is great value. A chance to meet old friends, make new ones, talk about things that of interest to public/exhibitors, buy stuff you never realised you wanted, etc etc.

Some observations

We have to remember that this is and has always been a commercial venture, and if the organisers see no profit, they won’t be organising it so we will all be looking for other shows to go to.

In my opinion, the prime revenue streams are

1. The paying public (to be entertained)

2. The stallholders (also there to make a profit)

3. The exhibitors (to show off our vehicles, re-enact , meet like minded people, buy from the stall holders etc etc)

If any one of these is out of balance, the organisers won’t make profit.

If all the exhibitors got in free, then the paying public and stallholders would burden all the costs and it likely that the traders and public wouldn’t turn up due to prohibitive costs.

Conversely if all the public were let in free, then the burden would fall on the traders and exhibitors, this really would push up the price of attendance and the majority of exhibitors probably wouldn’t turn up.

The organiser has to make a judgement on how the revenue stream is divided in an attempt (albeit difficult) to satisfy all stakeholders.

Cheers

Richard

So how do other show get by without charging vehicle owners and/or reenactors and still turn a small profit

But does the "Exhibitors Information Booklet" that we will be given when we arrive & required to sign that we will adhere to, contain any other obligations I wonder?

The safety rules seem perfectly reasonable, but I would just like to know the full list of our obligations in the Exhibitors Information Booklet before arriving or indeed before submitting an entry.