Any other Indian Motocycle owners out there?

Bodger Baz

Is anyone taking there indian to the old Indian's never die Rally in Scotland this 24-26/07/09. I'm riding mine up there from Sheffield, anyone else interested in riding up as a group, woul,d be a site to see!:cool:

im hoping to go but it depepnds on what i am working on nearer the time. Hopefully i can get away for a few days, if so i will take you up on the offer, what Indian do you have? how long do you reckon it will take?

Baz

Ive got a 1940 640 and a 1948 348. I would guess it willtake around 4 hours give or take. I went to the same rally last time it was held in 1995, was a nice run, but cant rember how long it took. I will be traveling up with 2 other Indians at the moment.:-D

Ive got a 1940 640 and a 1948 348. I would guess it willtake around 4 hours give or take. I went to the same rally last time it was held in 1995, was a nice run, but cant rember how long it took. I will be traveling up with 2 other Indians at the moment.:-D

Very Nice bikes you have there mate, any pictures?

I am definately up for going but will have to see what work is on nearr the time.

Cheers

Baz

• 2 months later...

Having been a motorcyclist in the past, a friend once showed me his 1930's Indian V twin. I tried riding it..........:shake:. The accelerator was on the wrong side, as was the clutch; hand gearchange, and riding off in bottom gear felt like top gear. Needless to say, I didn't go too far on it and it was a bit of an experience. There's certainly an art to riding them. It must be a bit like the vintage cars with the pedals transposed............. scary. :)

• 5 weeks later...

It might sound odd but once you get used to the setup it feels very natural and balanced. I have riden indians with the throttle on the right and the gear change on the left. this was very unbalanced and harder to ride. I have had both Brit and Japs bikes in the past but still find the Indian the nicest to ride, only down side is the stopping, evan the riders hand book has the brakes down as to be used to "retard forward motion" strange that it does not say anything about stopping. On an Indian all braking is emergency braking!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Harleys, Harleys everywhere, but where are the real bikes?

Left hand throttle rules :-D

I have a 1943 Harley, a left hand throttle would frighten me to death.......... really, but I must say that I do like the INDIANS.:cool2:

• 2 years later...
The Indians have arrived... Set up the Wigwam and send the smoke signals. Will be uploading pictures soon.

The joys a left hand throttle.. (who knows the reason they made the throttle left handed?)

Indian supplied their bikes to the police, and seemingly they claimed that because most of the police officers were right handed, they could draw and fire their service revolver whilst riding the bike in pursuit of the law breaker......... that sounds reasonable to me.

Well congrats. We have a winner. Exactly right.

Whilst it takes a bit of getting used to a foot clutch, left hand throttle, right hand spark advance and suicide shift they are a lot of fun to ride. With a few mods they will even sit at 100kph without to much trouble and every HD owner will stop and look at your Indian.

I'm not sure I believe that myth about the police officers firing at villains whilst wobbling around on an Indian. ha ha!

Anyway here is mine which I've owned for at least 15 years. For the sake of sanity I've reversed the grips to right hand throttle. I understand it was common practice during the war with Brits. It's a fact that our units didn't like them much and some were even fitted with Norton 16H bars in an attempt to make them easier to ride. Although I can't see how that would help. Most of the 741's were supplied to lower echelon units and the RAF.

I've also recently fitted an original NOS blackout mask and a wireless interference screen. My pannier bags are WW1 cavalry bags stamped "Lanarkshire Yeomanry" and owned by J R Wilson. I just learned this weekend that he died in 1917. So they are in his memory. Ron

741B 005.jpg

741B 039.jpg