Any other Indian Motocycle owners out there?

Bodger Baz

Just had someone apply for membership in our club who tells me he has an Indian. Not seen it yet though. We're in north Essex so perhaps there'll be an Indian in our group soon :-)

Last time I visited Michel Clements in Elst he was working on a very nice Indian. Not sure of the model but it's the one with the engine in sideways (8- something? :dunno: ) ~ the proper way round!! :-D

Edited by Gareth Coe
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 1940 Indian sport scout and a 1948 Indian Cheif , My father has a 1941 military scout. Once you have riden a Indian riding a Harley comes up short. They are the best of the Yank machines.

Remember what Jools Holland said, Harley Davidson, nice bike for a girl !

I have a 1940 Indian sport scout and a 1948 Indian Cheif , My father has a 1941 military scout. Once you have riden a Indian riding a Harley comes up short. They are the best of the Yank machines.

Remember what Jools Holland said, Harley Davidson, nice bike for a girl !

It would be great to see some 'photos of these bikes posted here sometime. In the meanwhile, check out this YouTube vid.

Just out of interest, were more HD's employed by the military than Indians ? As has been mentioned in previous posts, there always seem to be more HD's around.

• 1 month later...

Indian only made 30,000 (possibly up to 33,000) 741's and they were built foir british common wealth forces, but the US goverent cancelled the final order and they never made it to the lend lease deals instaed mostly being up engined to 600cc and sold in the states but not very succesfully! Indian was stitched up. As far as i know the Americans did not use 741's.

Harley made three or four times that number of bike for the military in WW2.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The US army did have indian 741's as reserve bikes and as far as I can find out they where not used on active service with teh US army but where used in some areas for training. There where 4 different indian models used, durring the war, the 741, 640, 641 and 340. Having owned all the v twin indians and also have had Harleys but find the indian a much more balanced and better built bike. If you ride the HArly 45 and an indian 741 there is little diffenence bretween them and this is conc=sidering that the indian is 250 cc smaller. The best Indian used durring the war was the 640 which was a down tuned sport scout and capable of around 100 mph.Having a bike which leaves the right hand free to shoot on the move has got to have an advantage on those which dont.

Whers the rest of the dispatch tow part of it can be sen behind the back of the last photo.

Well spotted..........

rest of it is being refurbished and will soon be all put back together again in the not too distant future............will post pics soon as..........