D-Day anniversary this year.

Billruston

Hi Bill, firstly you are a tad late for this year.....but assuming you are referring to 2016 you're best bet is to decide which beach

or area you wish to base yourself near and Google campsites for that area....there are loads to choose from, you may wish to

spend half the week in a different area...anyway have a good time...I live in Sainte Marie du Mont so give me a toot as you go

through!!

Dave

I'd not fully agree with that. A Group has Group ideas, go on your own and there is a lot more to Normandy and Calvados than D-Day. Chuck a stick in any direction you'll find something new and intresting. Go inland as well.

I'd second that Tony some of our most memorable days on tours were when we headed off on our own or in a small group of vehicles armed with some good reference books (not the standard guide books) and a large scale Michelin map of the area.

Following the Goodwood and Epsom offensives particularly comes to mind and a very atmospheric day in the woods around Mount Ormel. Everyone should do the beaches at some time but there is much more to find inland as well.

Pete

Falaise Gap and Mount Ormel is a must visit. To see the ford where so much happened made me very thoughtful. It's so %^&**% Small!

It is also the birth place of William of Normandy, the castle is fantastic.

Is that the ford near St Lambert Tony?, without even trying we were finding loaded MP38 mags, stick grenades and jack boot soles in the mud and gravel in 1984.

Pete

I am assuming you are new to the MV scene and Normandy, so I will stick with my advice that joining a group will enable you to get the best out of a first trip. You will not be stuck with having to follow the group on every trip, but they can provide access and participation at events and commemorations and can advise on places to go. Also important to for you, perhaps, facing the prospect of a trip to France in an old vehicle is moral and actual logistics support and mechanical assistance. Clearly it's up to you to decide what support you might need, but going with a group can be an easy introduction and thereafter, you can make up your mind for subsequent visits.

Is that the ford near St Lambert Tony?, without even trying we were finding loaded MP38 mags, stick grenades and jack boot soles in the mud and gravel in 1984.

Pete

Thats the one. I went there last year, pulled off down the lane. Warm peacful summer afternoon, and just couldn't belive how tight it was, hell, can't be more than ten feet across! The whole area is well signed with information and direction information.

ford copy.JPG

Thats the one. I went there last year, pulled off down the lane. Warm peacful summer afternoon, and just couldn't belive how tight it was, hell, can't be more than ten feet across! The whole area is well signed with information and direction information.

Very nice Tony, brings back memories,..........

Bill, sorry somewhat hijacked your thread to return to your question, Matchlesswdg3 offers good advice I would only add that you need to take a reasonable selection of running spares and tools, a good easy to use phrase book, maps, reference books and a plan in place so that you can get both you and the truck home if the worst happens.

Pete