matador restoration.

doug fleet

i will put the photo on next weekend with some others . spent all day warming up and hammering that back brake drum I couldn't move . well after a lot of heat . WD40 and hammer. it got to the stage where it either brakes or its coming off so out came the sledge hammer . I didn't take a big swing at it as I was laying underneath it but slowly it started to move and I got it off with out any damage thank god.. its a good job I did as it had leaves inside and it looks like something was living behind a brake shoe. other than that it all looks ok in there.

After getting the brake drum off last weekend I found out why it was stuck . it must of had water in it as there was some rust pitting in one area which I think must have been at the bottom and maybe in the grass. Everything is free to move and theres loads of life left in the shoes. So everything was cleaned and primed and is now ready to have the wheel fitted. then we can move it to get to the other side .

P1080468.JPG

P1080469.JPG

P1080470.JPG

P1080471.JPG

P1080472.JPG

P1080474.JPG

Great, looks like there's a fair amount of meat left on those brake shoes too.

I'm working on something a bit smaller this Christmas. I've just started taking the gearbox out of my Land Rover so as to change the cutch over the bank holiday period.

Best wishes for the season!  

well I started today cleaning the outside of the n/s . sanded off the crimson to see if there was any ID markings left on the olive drab. but apart from what looks like an arrow pointing down wards there was nothing . so sanded off the rest back to bright steel . put a wire brush on a grinder to clean up the rivet heads . got that all primed up . cleaned up and primed the engine oil and jerry can holders that bolt on under the armour.. got the N/S back wheel off and started scraping the muck off.

P1080475.JPG

P1080476.JPG

P1080477.JPG

P1080487.JPG

P1080478.JPG

P1080479.JPG

P1080480.JPG

P1080481.JPG

P1080482.JPG

P1080483.JPG

P1080484.JPG

P1080485.JPG

P1080486.JPG

More good progress. It's great to get away from Christmas for a few hours and go and tinker with machinery. 

Just out of curiosity, what thread pattern are the nuts and bolts? BSF, Whit? Probably a bit early to be UNF/UNC but you never know. And are there left handed thread items on the left hand side?   

got the underneath of the back wheel arch cleaned up and primed today so just the wheel hub and brake back plate left to do . then its the last bit to clean up and that's the fuel tank .the last few photos are of my 1ton trailer which I have been giving a bear metal repaint . can anyone tell me what the I/D markings are on the back of it . was trieing to sand it off carfully but it didn't happen .

P1080489.JPG

P1080490.JPG

P1080492.JPG

P1080493.JPG

P1080494.JPG

P1080495.JPG

P1080496.JPG

P1080497.JPG

P1080498.JPG

P1080499.JPG

10 hours ago, Negative said:

More good progress. It's great to get away from Christmas for a few hours and go and tinker with machinery. 

Just out of curiosity, what thread pattern are the nuts and bolts? BSF, Whit? Probably a bit early to be UNF/UNC but you never know. And are there left handed thread items on the left hand side?   

hiya as it was made in 1942 I would think its whit . yes on the N/S the wheel nuts are left hand thread

this is one of the back wheel hubs . got the brake drum off and started to scrape all the grease and mud out of it . the side of the brake shoes have olive drab paint on them so got to be origanals . you can see just how much of a build up of grease and mud by the last photo . well back at work now so back to weekends only .

P1080500.JPG

P1080501.JPG

P1080502.JPG

P1080503.JPG

P1080504.JPG

P1080505.JPG

Must feel good to get that amount of dirt out. You can clearly see the left hand threads on the wheel studs in the picture. There's even a button head grease nipple on the hub so you can get grease inside it without taking anything apart. There's a lot of foresight gone into the engineering.  

Hi,

the triangular badge on your trailer is 19th Infantry Brigade.

https://worldwarwonders.co.uk/product/8-original-british-19th-infantry-brigade-cloth-badge/

Some history here:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30072894

The red square with the white cross might be 48th Gurkha Brigade

R1A881.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_Brigade_(United_Kingdom)

Best Regards,

Adrian

7 hours ago, Le Prof said:

Hi,

the triangular badge on your trailer is 19th Infantry Brigade.

https://worldwarwonders.co.uk/product/8-original-british-19th-infantry-brigade-cloth-badge/

Some history here:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30072894

The red square with the white cross might be 48th Gurkha Brigade

R1A881.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/48th_Brigade_(United_Kingdom)

Best Regards,

Adrian

hiya . thank you very very much for the imfo . would the 19th infrantry be with the 48th Gurkha at the same time , sorry to pick your brains but I just don't know .would the markings be on there at the same time or at different times . . once again thanks for the help.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Negative said:

Must feel good to get that amount of dirt out. You can clearly see the left hand threads on the wheel studs in the picture. There's even a button head grease nipple on the hub so you can get grease inside it without taking anything apart. There's a lot of foresight gone into the engineering.  

Hiya , yes its good to see that its all good inside and as its grease and not oil it has saved the brake shoes . evern I was surprised at how thick the grease is on the top of the shoes and how hard it is .. its all the grease and oil that was all over the hole lorry that has kept it all these years .

34 minutes ago, Le Prof said:

Hi, Doug,

do you know the date of the trailer? (that'll give me a start point for your question).

Regards,

Adrian

no I don't , I would think mid 1950s . is there a number stamped on it anywhere like a chassie number . if so where . does anyone know. there is alliminuem plate on the A frame with numbers on it .

12 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

Hi 10FM68,

I agree, thanks for figuring it out.

Both of the signs in the upper middle are 5 bde. With the help of your reference, I can now see the remains of the blue 5 above the crossed bayonet/Key on the left one; The right one is almost entirely missing the bayonet/key, but the blue 5 is really obvious..

So, in answer to Doug, no, 5th Infantry Brigade and 19th Infantry Brigade would not have had these markings painted on at the same time.

Best Regards,

Adrian

7 hours ago, Le Prof said:

Hi 10FM68,

I agree, thanks for figuring it out.

Both of the signs in the upper middle are 5 bde. With the help of your reference, I can now see the remains of the blue 5 above the crossed bayonet/Key on the left one; The right one is almost entirely missing the bayonet/key, but the blue 5 is really obvious..

So, in answer to Doug, no, 5th Infantry Brigade and 19th Infantry Brigade would not have had these markings painted on at the same time.

Best Regards,

Adrian

So I think its fair to say the trailer served with the 5th Infantry Brigade and maybe at some time served with 19th Infantry Brigade .there is more imfo on it for the 5th  than  the 19th . once again big thanks to you both Doug.