FAKE M10 plummets into ravine or how not to drive a tank destroyer fake or otherwise!

jdmcm

It'd be nice if he had the time to put all the clips together into a playlist in the correct sequence - there are many of them and it's hard to know the running order.

Hairy moment without a doubt, I hope that the guy who nearly bails out was OK, together with the rest of the crew. There's no suggestion of injury and any of the clips that I can see.

An intersting recovery job!

'Cobbled together' out of a derelict timber yarder and some scrap steel plate or not ?.......I reckon it looks grand :) ....

...and I'd far rather see a 'bitsa' tank like that , rather than seeing any old M4 / Sherman chassis /undercarriage based timber yarder lamped up and thrown off at the local scrap yard

...which is otherwise surely where it would have ended up :)

wow, incredible how quickly that went wrong. Good reminder of how these machines are not toys, they were designed to kill. They got off better than this guy though

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tank-runs-over-man-20150824-story.html

Anyone see a movie recently about Hellcats vs. Panzer 3's? I watched "making of" on you tube and inside the Pz -III (an excellent copy), there was a plaque above the drivers visor that said " those are your friends out there, never forget that this machine can kill and maim instantly", or some such.

my first thought was clutch failure, you can see the driver faffing about and looking down inside the drivers compartment for inspiration. I know this because I have done the same myself.

Rick,

As the ground guide is directing him to make the turn, you can hear gears grating as it starts to run away, so sounds like he was moving and trying to get it into a gear, hence the speed it went as it was in Angel gear.

Anyone notice rather barbed comment on that YouTube vid?

bill baggins

Brought to you by the same guys that cleaned out the Sherman Tank at CFB Chilliwack, stole everything they could cut off with a torch...including the live cannon! Right under the armies nose!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It is most certainly not real, cobbled together from scrap steel and Sherman parts salvaged from a forestry yarder, there are no M10's in Canada in private hands and certainly no Achilles.

So it's a real m10?

thats how they all are, even in service. Parts don't match, wrong color. Not a worry. if it fits it goes!

It is most certainly not real, cobbled together from scrap steel and Sherman parts salvaged from a forestry yarder, there are no M10's in Canada in private hands and certainly no Achilles.

That isnt realy fair how many totally original WW2 vehicles are there still running not many nearly all are restorations with original or repro parts and quite a few restored tanks are bits and pieces these guys have done a great job with this one

Hi Matt, no it is not based on an M3 lee chassis at all. Despite the owners claims they found the hull in a barn and the turret in a scapyard, and they performed a miracle restoration, that is patently false. There is not one M10 part on the whole repli-tank. The 3 piece differential, tracks and 6 bogeys were taken from a scrapped forestry yarder in Kamloops BC. Hard to see from the video but the bogey wheels have no rubber tires, they are wrapped in steel which is what happens in the forestry business when the rubber wears out. The lower hull is fabricated out of scrap plate and does not have the correct 1.5 inch sideplates or floor. The upper hull was completely fabricated from 3/4" steel plate that was cut and welded together to form a patchwork upper hull. When you are up close to it you can see that the hull is made of several pieces of mild steel not four large armor plates. The turret as well was completely made from scratch, as was the mantlet and gun. The gun barrel was machined at a shop in Langley BC and is smooth inside, not rifled. It is supposed to be an Achiles replica but they didn't have the any dimensions for the gun, muzzle brake or counterweight and the results are way off. The barrel is way to thick compared to a seventeen pdr. The turret sits on a genuine Sherman turret ring and inside the replica it has Sherman tank seats and tillers. The drivetrain consists of a single 6046 Detroit diesel that is connected to a truck transmission which has been placed in reverse. When it was built it was discovered that with the direction of the engines rotation, it had 5 reverse gears and one forward gear. Instead of reversing the rotation of the engine which is simply a matter of moving the timing gears around, they installed an extra transmission and placed it in reverse so that it would have 5 speeds forward. It is a true Rube Goldberg setup with huge potential for disaster as you saw in the video. As it was the repli-tank was being moved to load it on a truck and take it to a museum for a public parade function. Can you imagine if what happened on the video happened in public? The repli-tank running away into a crowd of people? Would not have done our hobby much good in Canada. As it was they had no emergency shut-off for the engine and the brakes had never been looked at, adjusted or tested. The ultimate in irresponsible behavior. As it was nobody was seriously hurt and great lengths were taken to cover the whole thing up. Fortunately it has come to light and serves as a reminder these vehicles, fake or not, are not to be fooled with by untrained and irresponsible people. As for the comments seen below the video, this same group of guys when entrusted with the care of a Canadian Forces M4A2 Sherman at their museum, stripped every part off the tank they could, inside and out, including the gun and mantlet, installing replica parts in their place and taking the parts for themselves to use on another replica they are constructing of a M4 Sherman. Somehow the theft of 76mm tank cannon seems to have gone unnoticed by the Commander of the base where it was stolen from...probably not the type of thing you want to bring to light if your hoping for promotion...

Hi Matt, no it is not based on an M3 lee chassis at all. Despite the owners claims they found the hull in a barn and the turret in a scapyard, and they performed a miracle restoration, that is patently false. There is not one M10 part on the whole repli-tank. The 3 piece differential, tracks and 6 bogeys were taken from a scrapped forestry yarder in Kamloops BC. Hard to see from the video but the bogey wheels have no rubber tires, they are wrapped in steel which is what happens in the forestry business when the rubber wears out. The lower hull is fabricated out of scrap plate and does not have the correct 1.5 inch sideplates or floor. The upper hull was completely fabricated from 3/4" steel plate that was cut and welded together to form a patchwork upper hull. When you are up close to it you can see that the hull is made of several pieces of mild steel not four large armor plates. The turret as well was completely made from scratch, as was the mantlet and gun. The gun barrel was machined at a shop in Langley BC and is smooth inside, not rifled. It is supposed to be an Achiles replica but they didn't have the any dimensions for the gun, muzzle brake or counterweight and the results are way off. The barrel is way to thick compared to a seventeen pdr. The turret sits on a genuine Sherman turret ring and inside the replica it has Sherman tank seats and tillers. The drivetrain consists of a single 6046 Detroit diesel that is connected to a truck transmission which has been placed in reverse. When it was built it was discovered that with the direction of the engines rotation, it had 5 reverse gears and one forward gear. Instead of reversing the rotation of the engine which is simply a matter of moving the timing gears around, they installed an extra transmission and placed it in reverse so that it would have 5 speeds forward. It is a true Rube Goldberg setup with huge potential for disaster as you saw in the video. As it was the repli-tank was being moved to load it on a truck and take it to a museum for a public parade function. Can you imagine if what happened on the video happened in public? The repli-tank running away into a crowd of people? Would not have done our hobby much good in Canada. As it was they had no emergency shut-off for the engine and the brakes had never been looked at, adjusted or tested. The ultimate in irresponsible behavior. As it was nobody was seriously hurt and great lengths were taken to cover the whole thing up. Fortunately it has come to light and serves as a reminder these vehicles, fake or not, are not to be fooled with by untrained and irresponsible people. As for the comments seen below the video, this same group of guys when entrusted with the care of a Canadian Forces M4A2 Sherman at their museum, stripped every part off the tank they could, inside and out, including the gun and mantlet, installing replica parts in their place and taking the parts for themselves to use on another replica they are constructing of a M4 Sherman. Somehow the theft of 76mm tank cannon seems to have gone unnoticed by the Commander of the base where it was stolen from...probably not the type of thing you want to bring to light if your hoping for promotion...

Wow. It all looked fairly realistic To me. I'm no ww2 tank buff though. Thanks for the heads up.

In fairness they did a great job, why they cant just be proud of what they accomplished without all the B.S. is any ones guess...and yes I am a little miffed about what they did to the monument tank they were entrusted with...Working with the military in Canada can be quite challenging as it is these days especially when it comes to getting any support for historic military vehicles...this kind of crap just makes the Canadian Forces even more wary of getting involved with us...we all get painted with the same brush to some extent...nowadays it is safer for them to scrap everything.

Wow. It all looked fairly realistic To me. I'm no ww2 tank buff though. Thanks for the heads up.

It looked ok from the front, but the back of the turret is all wrong.

It's really a shame these guys ravaged a real tank to put the stuff on a fake one.

Maybe the "M10" decided to give them a wild ride for karma's sake.