Milly turbo removal, return to standard......

All I could picture was a Simms Minimec in-line pump(not knowing what type you have fitted) and suspect that this would be for the pump overflow pipe, it would probably have a short piece of pipe attached to the banjo union pointing down.

From a Ford 2700 range service manual-

"The camshaft and governor housing are filled with engine oil through a filler plug on top of the governor housing. Fuel oil leakage from the plungers mixes with this oil, the surplus being drained by an overflow pipe at the front of the injection pump"

Not very environmentally friendly really, I suppose you could divert in to an oil catch tank and dispose of when carrying out maintenance/inspections.

That makes sense, you can see the engine with pump on #20 it still has the plastic plug painted over.

Cheers

Iain

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if they'll help, but I took photos of the 2 pumps I have, one on a spare engine, one just a spare pump.

Jules

Thanks Jules

I am not sure but it looks like the governor end is plumbed into the engine oil system. The Milly CAV pump is isolated and is topped up separately for the main body and the governor with normal engine oil and the manual states to fill until oil comes out the level overflow pipe.

I can only assume that the banjo fitting is the spill pipe and is correct as is ??

I have now fitted the engine after a long effort on Saturday, it took 4 hours for the final few inches.......

Ill post pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Iain

I am not sure but it looks like the governor end is plumbed into the engine oil system.

Hi Iain,

it is any years since I worked on AEC engines, but I do recollect one thing, there was an oil pressure feed from main gallery on block via a pipe tucked up between the pump and block, think it had a banjo connection as was awkward to get to. The pipe from the governor housing is the oil return to sump.

regards, Richard

Hi Iain,

it is any years since I worked on AEC engines, but I do recollect one thing, there was an oil pressure feed from main gallery on block via a pipe tucked up between the pump and block, think it had a banjo connection as was awkward to get to. The pipe from the governor housing is the oil return to sump.

regards, Richard

Hmmm. Thanks Richard.

The engine I am fitting is an NOS/overhauled unit complete with ancilleries and other than the fuel lines to the lift pump and injector pump the only other fitting is the fill level hole. I looked at my other Milly and robbed the banjo fitting from the level hole on it but it did not have a pipe on it and there is no evidence it had one. I'll brave the rust and have a better look at the other Milly in case I misssed something.

What is convincing me is the statement in the manual to add oil until it comes out the overfill pipe.

What confuses to an extent is that the Bosch pump was plumbed into the engine, oil but mods had been carried out for this.:nut:

Cheers

Iain

A couple of pics of the engine going in. The EB handled it OK only problem was getting the angles just right when pulling in the last few inches, not to mention all the damn bits that want to get in the way. Anyway with the use of jacks under the G,box and rear of the engine not to mention a come-along and some ratchet straps, we got there..

IMAG0219.jpg

With any luck it's not coming out again for a long long time !

Cheers

Iain

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

When I replaced one of my Matador engines years ago, I lacked the use of a forklift or other suitable lifting tackle. I removed the front axle and then pushed the engine in on a pallet truck (engine atop a stack of pallets). Not too much to get in the way!

I can understand, I was seriously looking at how hard it would be to remove the cab if I had to do this again. To pull the axle would be a big job on this as the brake plumbing for the three systems would all have to come out, As well as the radiator etc etc...

Still, gave me a chance to sort a few things out and have a good clean. :undecided:

Iain

I was short of time as usual when I took the photos the other day, but might get a chance tomorrow to have a look on my truck and see what the piping is on that pump.

Glad you've got the engine in. Hopefully that's not a job I'll have to do. I wouldn't mind a chance sometime to have a go in another Mk3 to compare performance. Compared to my Mk1, my Mk3 seems to take quite a bit of winding to start, where the Mk1 goes within 1 turn of the engine. Once running seems sweet, and quite clean exhaust. Just a bit slow up the hills!

Jules

I was short of time as usual when I took the photos the other day, but might get a chance tomorrow to have a look on my truck and see what the piping is on that pump.

Glad you've got the engine in. Hopefully that's not a job I'll have to do. I wouldn't mind a chance sometime to have a go in another Mk3 to compare performance. Compared to my Mk1, my Mk3 seems to take quite a bit of winding to start, where the Mk1 goes within 1 turn of the engine. Once running seems sweet, and quite clean exhaust. Just a bit slow up the hills!

Jules

I am looking forward to driving the Milly and seeing if I can tell the difference with the non turbo engine. Hauling 20t around it's never going to be too spritely but I expect the see a slowdown on hills. :laugh:

Iain

I am now getting ready to re-fit the radiator and need to decide what to do about the washer pump. I have a NOS air driven washer pump that I would like to fit for originality or I can go with a 24v pump. Has anyone experience of the air driven pumps, are they any good ? If they are known to be usless then I will go with the 24v pump.

IMAG0224.jpg

Cheers

Iain

IMAG0224.jpg

A lot of Leyland buses used those air pumps and quite good and reliable they proved to be. However, on a bus they stand a good chance of being used every day, which would help to keep them fit and healthy.

I presume your Militant, like mine, doesn't get a run out that often. So whether there would be any issue with the air pump not being used regularly, I don't know.

Can't really see a reason for a problem, I'd put screen wash in it rather than plain water, that would keep any potential corrosion at bay, but I would do that with an electric pump as well

A lot of Leyland buses used those air pumps and quite good and reliable they proved to be. However, on a bus they stand a good chance of being used every day, which would help to keep them fit and healthy.

I presume your Militant, like mine, doesn't get a run out that often. So whether there would be any issue with the air pump not being used regularly, I don't know.

Can't really see a reason for a problem, I'd put screen wash in it rather than plain water, that would keep any potential corrosion at bay, but I would do that with an electric pump as well

I would prefer to use it for originality, just need to work out where it mounts and which way up???:undecided:

If it proves to be a problem in the future I could then go to the 24v pump.

Cheers

Iain

Iain,

Here are a couple of pics of where my wash pump is fitted (in the passenger footwell). I found that my wiper motors were badly corroded due to water ingress, I assumed through the pump, so I have disabled it. Another problem is that the wash button air valve is now stuck in and of course the vehicle was designed so that this is just out of reach, like almost every other component! It would be easy to get to with the radiator out, so if you haven't refitted yours yet this would be a good time to relocate the button to a more accessible position.

It will be interesting to see if you notice any difference in "performance" (I use the term loosely!)

Iain C

Wash pump 1.jpg

Wash pump 2.jpg

Wash pump 1.jpg

Wash pump 2.jpg

Iain,

Here are a couple of pics of where my wash pump is fitted (in the passenger footwell). I found that my wiper motors were badly corroded due to water ingress, I assumed through the pump, so I have disabled it. Another problem is that the wash button air valve is now stuck in and of course the vehicle was designed so that this is just out of reach, like almost every other component! It would be easy to get to with the radiator out, so if you haven't refitted yours yet this would be a good time to relocate the button to a more accessible position.

It will be interesting to see if you notice any difference in "performance" (I use the term loosely!)

Iain C

Many thanks Iain!

Those pics are a great help for more than just the pump. I am sorting out the heater as it was not present on this one. I found a similar new heater ages ago but I have removed the heater from the other truck (from amongst the rust) fully expecting it to be too rusty but is cleaning up OK. The mounting brackets have suffered a bit but the heater is in reasonable condition so it will be cleaned up and re-used.

Once the rad is fitted and the coolant filled up I'll rig up the batteries and see if it will go...

Cheers

Iain

This is the heater removed from the very rusty spares truck, I did not expect it to hold water but it stood up to over 15 psi of water without a weep. A good clean up and a coat of paint and it will get fitted.

IMAG0225.jpg

Here again with the new one I found, not exactly the same but it would do at a pinch.

IMAG0226.jpg

The core is interchangeable with the original bar the hose connections being a larger size.

I am going to need a heater as I wont have the turbo to keep me warm (and deaf).:undecided:

Iain

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

The engine runs like a dream !

On its first run the oil px gauge hose failed at a fitting , sprayed the chassis and left a nice puddle but after chassing a few weeps and leaks it is fine.

I am supprised at how little smoke it is producing compared to the other engine, I can even see the shed door after starting from cold :cheesy:

This is it running, a bit of blue haze but a huge amount cleaner than before, well pleased !

IMAG0227.jpg

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain
spelling of course.

Coming along nicely 👍

Cheers Nick

Although it seems like there is no end to it, not shown are the usual struggles and frustrations to do the simplest thing etc.

I am taking the opportunity to tart up the cab and reinstate the original fittings, such as the passenger seat! The rest of the truck will be re painted as I can, a bit like the Forth rail bridge. I am not ready to face the task you have taken on, changing the engine has been a big task and I need a break.....:blush:

Iain

Cheers Nick

Although it seems like there is no end to it, not shown are the usual struggles and frustrations to do the simplest thing etc.

I am taking the opportunity to tart up the cab and reinstate the original fittings, such as the passenger seat! The rest of the truck will be re painted as I can, a bit like the Forth rail bridge. I am not ready to face the task you have taken on, changing the engine has been a big task and I need a break.....:blush:

Iain

I too need to sort my passenger seat, I acquired an original but am missing the height adjuster. I have a NOS seat which is slightly smaller and am still yet to decide whether I 1. Fit the original seat minus the adjuster (seen it done, looks very low) 2. Original seat with cannibalised NOS adjuster or 3. Re trim the Iveco seat the previous owner put in to make it more inkeeping.

I'm not sure I could tackle your engine job! I'm envious of your storage facility 😀. Keep the photos coming.