1942 No 8 Ford (Blitz) Gun Tractor

jamessolomon

Hi

Seen one of these vehicles at the national military vehicle museum in south Australia (see pic below) and was wondering about any more info on the vehicle and body. I'm interested in kit bashing some plastic models to make the tractor as it fascinated me being a different sort of CMP. Was this an Aussie only body built or did other nations use it and the stuff it's towing I know the British Morris tractor also towed the same equipment. It's labled with 42 markings but no sign of any unit markings which kinda stumps me which unit it was with

image.jpg

Cheers

James

Hello James

Yes that one is the Australian build version of a Cab 13 gun tractor, and I think yes only used by the Australians.

Your best bet to find more info is having a look at the MLU forum. Yes its the 25 pdr gun and limber its towing.

You might be able to use a mirror models or italeri cab 13 as basis but I am not sure about the chassis length.

The Cab 13 design where employed on all versions of the series, GS lorry, tanker, wrecker, HUB, Quad etc. (to my knowledge)

there are differences between the Ford and Chevrolet produced CMP's, on the outside, the grill was square mesh on the ford and stretch perforated plate. The bar above the bumper where mounted on springs on the ford and more static on the chevy. The Ford had Ford Canada written underneath the headlights. the ford had split axles and the Chevy banjo.

The interior design is also a bit different because on is running a strait six and the other a wider shorter V8.

but if you search the net you should be able to find what you need. http://www.canadianregister.co.uk/chevy_or_ford.html here e.g.

The radio trucks are quite different to the gun tractors - that Number 8 Ford is quite fun to drive though :-D

The museum also has a Number 3A Marmon Herrington and a Number 9 Chev gun tractor. The Chev is almost finished being restored.

Cheers,

Terry

So from research and the lovely info provided here my assumptions are its a Ford F8 with no 13 cab and Australian built body. It pulls British equipment as found behind the Morris quad which makes sense built under licence and such. My question is to further the research was the Australian body given a name or was it just the Ford F8 tractor

As Lauren mention it is not a F8, where the 8 would denote an 8CWT load capacity, the gun tractors was as I remember like the 60CWT GS.

The axles, transferbox, and other parts differ between an 8 and a 60CWT, and the 60 has a brake vaccum assist.

• 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread as I am out in Australia shortly so can get way more info on it and photos to build a model of one. From research so far to prepare myself when I am out there

25pdr gun - Can pick this up from Milicast as UK073

Limber - Was this the same as the British version towed behind say a Morris Quad. Can get this as Milicast UK249

The cab is a Ford No 13 which gives a start will also measure when out there the chassis length and other required measurements

Hi

Great thread, always enjoy hearing about CMP family of vehicles.

But got a question how did this thread end up under the Thread Heading "American Vehicles" Given the number of CMPs built do they deserve a separate heading? Perhaps something like Commonwealth Vehicle to recognize all the vehicle's produced?

Being the nut in the USA who owns three restored CMPs and Im always explaining the story of these unique vehicles.

Cheers Phil