Bedford MJ PTO

Rangie

Hi Folks,

I have a late AWD/Bedford MJ with the Perkins Phaser and Turner 5-speed box.

Looking to attach a PTO and hydraulic pump for a HIAB.

Now then, Turner boxes look like they are lying on their sides, therefore the plates I would normally assume are for a PTO are on the top/bottom of the box. The bottom one has the drain plug for the box and installing a PTO there would interfere with the front prop.

So, does anyone have a photo of the PTO/Pump arrangement on this style of box? Fitted on top it looks as if the pump may just sit flush with the top of the chassis rails.

How about the type which goes into the transfer box? A-la fire engine pump, any photos?

Bolt pattern looks similar to the pumps fitted to K,M&O Type gearboxes, maybe TKs as well. Anyone able to confirm or deny? :-D

Any assistance gratefully received, especially photos :-D

My manuals dont cover the Turner Box.

Alec.

I thought it would end up being a hellish arrangement like that..... :-X

Found that the box is covered in "Vintage Bedford Trucks & Coaches Training Manual, Transmission, TS1085/1", bought a copy off ebay for illumination purposes! :-D

Alec.

Good shout Richard,

I've seen them on fire engines to drive the water pump at the rear but they appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

No reason why it couldn't have a small prop and hard-mount the pump to the chassis rail..

I'll try the usual suspects for one....

Thanks,

Alec.

Good shout Richard,

I've seen them on fire engines to drive the water pump at the rear but they appear to be a bit thin on the ground.

No reason why it couldn't have a small prop and hard-mount the pump to the chassis rail..

I'll try the usual suspects for one....

Thanks,

Alec.

Hi Alec,

The MJ/MK fitted with winch used PTO from transfer box. You need to find a box with PTO or the parts to convert yours.

I would think David Crouch is worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alec, I have a couple of Edbro mechanical PTOs that came from a recovery company that were running Bedfords.

It is for the SAE 6 bolt fixing but neither look quite right on the gear; one has a straight cut gear, while the other the gear looks too coarse pitch:

The straight cut one is marked PTO.602.15 922015 while the other is just marked 18 x 84 S, I assume a reference to the ratio.

If they are any help let me know

IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

• 5 years later...